Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Zach Galifianakis: ‘Being a celebrity is sh-t, it’s dumb & I’m not interested in it’

Default Zach Galifianakis: ‘Being a celebrity is sh-t, it’s dumb & I’m not interested in it’

Hours before the New York Film Festival’s closing-night premiere, director Alejandro G. Inarritu and the cast of Birdman posed for photos and answered questions after a Saturday afternoon press screening, held at New York City’s AMC Lincoln Square — to the dismay of some of the actors.

“Being a celebrity is sh-t — it’s dumb and I’m not interested in it,” said Zach Galifianakis, noting that he’s not a fan of all the “picture-taking” and that the cast generally feels the same way. “I like to be an actor, and that’s it. The blurred lines are, I think manmade. I think celebrity is a manmade thing, it’s not innate in us, we have people telling us, ‘We should pay attention to these people,” for all the wrong reasons, their personal lives and whatnot. … I’d rather just do my work and go home and watch Lifetime.”

[From THR]

To be fair, he was asked specifically about where to draw the line between “actor” and “celebrity” and Zach was explaining that he likes being an actor but hates this idea of being a celebrity. While he does seem to practice what he preaches (when is the last time Zach got pap’d with a lady friend, you know?), it does seem like… there’s a trade-off. Zach gets to be a comedic leading man and people write down what he says in interviews and press conferences. It seems odd to complain about it while actively participating in the press for one’s film. Then on the NYFF red carpet, THR asked him for clarification and this is what he said:

“It’s confusing to me — all of this is confusing to me. They oversell it like we’re curing cancer, you know what I mean?” he told The Hollywood Reporter at the New York Film Festival’s closing-night premiere on Saturday, held at Lincoln Center’s Alice Tully Hall. “I just think it can be gross sometimes, the way Hollywood congratulates itself all the time.”

“I agree with what this movie says. I read it, and I’m like, ‘Boy, he’s taking swipes at everybody, but he’s right.’ So the truth trumps everything else,” he said of the Alejandro G. Inarritu dramedy. “It’s gotten a little out of hand — there’s no culture in it. If people were writing about poets, mathematicians and all that, that would just move us forward quicker.”

[From THR]

Cele|bitchy | Zach Galifianakis: ‘Being a celebrity is sh-t, it’s dumb & I’m not interested in it’

Bronze Member

He looks thin.

Boston mass, I now reside in the WHITE MOUNTAINS NH

yeah, they are saying he has lost a ton of weight . Looks good though.

I like Super Ray.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow he has dropped loads of weight and looks much better for it.
    Beeyotch likes this.

No idea who he is so he needn't be too concerned with his celebrity status just yet.
    czb likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

"Pap'd with a lady friend" - Uhh, didn't he just get married?

Some of these reporters are so dumb! Like the one that asked him recently about how he lost so much weight, and he replied, "I'm dying" and she completely glossed over it and kept talking or ignored him or something.

Fat Jesus is looking good!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

he looks strange thinner. it's like his fat head didn't shrink along with his body.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

It's a little weird that skinny bearded Zach look like bulked-up bearded Bradley Cooper

I get what he's saying... He's an actor, enjoys acting, but "celebrity" is different. It's posing for pictures, its the media following your every move, it's trying to get tabloid covers/attention...

He doesn't want that lifestyle, that label, but knows it comes with his job.
    Hell, I wouldn't want to be a "celebrity" either.... you're grouped in with the likes of Kim Krapdashian and Snooki.

Also, he's often very cheeky in interviews, likes to "play" around with the interviewer/reporter. A lot of people don't pick up on his dry humor.
    His interviews read "awkward" in print.

But if you see the interview - for example, I thought he was great last night on The Daily Show, you see that he's just being sarcastic/funny for the majority of it. Has anyone seen his "Funny or Die" show, where he interviews people? He has this ability to deliver his lines with a straight face - it's hard to tell whether or not he's joking or serious.

I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Slimming down works real good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I like Super Ray.
    Love Super Ray.

"I’d rather just do my work and go home and watch Lifetime.”
    Gurl, you and me both. Ok, not Lifetime, I hate Lifetime, but maybe AMC or Cartoon Network?
    SoCalMarie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Gurl, you and me both. Ok, not Lifetime, I hate Lifetime, but maybe AMC or Cartoon Network?
    Don't you wanna watch My Husband, My Stalker with Yasmine Bleeth and Jack Scalia again?

I cringe whenever I hear a celeb complain about being a celeb. Don't be good at what you do then, because you WILL become popular and have to do interviews and promos and you'll get to ride in limos and cut in front of people in lines at airports and what have you...good tables in restaurants and shit. And you get paid well for whatever you write/act/sing/whatever.

And like someone said earlier, people hang on your word and everything. I'm sure it gets tiresome at times, but I bet that starving actor/comedian waiting tables at some frou-frou restaurant would trade places with you in a minute. Hell, I'll trade with you anytime you want to.
    BelledeJour likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

[On Terry Richardson] "Dude is like a human version of a white, windowless van...." ~ Michael K.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I cringe whenever I hear a celeb complain about being a celeb. Don't be good at what you do then, because you WILL become popular and have to do interviews and promos and you'll get to ride in limos and cut in front of people in lines at airports and what have you...good tables in restaurants and shit. And you get paid well for whatever you write/act/sing/whatever.
    I feel like he doesn't have his head wrapped around what being a successful actor is all about. The whole essence of being a successful film or tv actor is to create a product for mass consumption. It is part and parcel of that that people recognize who you are and devote web pages, or threads on BB's about you. He could have stuck to dinner theater or even stage if he didn't want the celeb-type attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information