Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Aerosmith's Joe Perry Sets Record Straight in Memoir

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Aerosmith's Joe Perry Sets Record Straight in Memoir

"I didn't agree with a lot of the things Steven [Tyler] wrote in his book," says the guitarist.

By Andy Greene | May 21, 2014

Joe Perry is finally ready to give his side of the Aerosmith saga. His long-awaited book Rocks: My Life in and Out of Aerosmith is slated to hit shelves on October 7th.

"It took about a year longer than I thought it would," says Perry, who co-wrote the book with David Ritz. "But it's finally done. We're just finishing up taking the pictures and going through all the little details that go with it."

The guitarist's book follows Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer's 2009 memoir Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top and Steven Tyler's 2011 effort Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?. "I've wanted to write one for a while," says Perry. "But Joey put his book out and I wanted to leave some room there and then Steven put his book out. I didn't want to make it seem like mine was an answer to his, so I waited a little longer."
    Perry did read Tyler's book. "It's definitely Steven's truth, no doubt about it," he says. "He's allowed to perceive things how he perceives things. He can write his book any way he wants. But I didn't agree with a lot of the things he said. I know he worked hard on it, but it's got a totally different tenor and energy than my book. Mine tends to be a little more traditional. It's an autobiography in the real classic sense. I just hope Steven accepts the things I say about how I felt and how I saw things happen. I don't put words in other people's mouths or talk about conversations that I wasn't there for."
    Part of Perry's motivation for writing the book was to finally present his version of the band's history. "Not a lot of truth has come out about the last 20 years of the band," he says. "We all know about the 1970s and the VH1 Behind the Music bullshit and getting the band back together, which itself is a small miracle. After that, it kind of drops off."
    The band did tell its story in the 1997 book Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith. "That book was really a swan song to our last manager," says Perry. "In fact, he told the writer, Stephen Davis, that unless he got to read the book first, and literally edit it himself before the band saw it, he would not have any access to the band. This was unbeknownst to us, but we found out afterwards. We were all involved and ready to get our stories out there, but we lost sight of the bigger picture."
    Aerosmith wrap up their world tour in September, and not long afterwards Perry will launch a promotional book tour. "It's a good thing it comes out after the tour," says Perry. "That kind of guarantees we'll finish up the tour, no matter what anybody thinks about the book."

Rolling Stone

I'm a sucker for rock auto-biographies. Slash's is one of my favorites.
    JWL likes this.

I bet it'll be interesting. I think the less famous ones in bands (or not the frontmen) usually have better perspectives on things. Also, I bet Steven is a fucking pill.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

The cooler half of The Toxic Twins.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    I'm a sucker for rock auto-biographies. Slash's is one of my favorites.
    Me, too, I'm a sucker for rock biographies. I also love Slash, as well as Mick Jones from The Clash. I'm not easy, but I can be had.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I bet it'll be interesting. I think the less famous ones in bands (or not the frontmen) usually have better perspectives on things. Also, I bet Steven is a fucking pill.
    According to a preview I read, Tyler is more than a pill. It seems that Joe Perry and he didn't get along at the best of times, and in this book, Perry tears Steven Tyler to shreds in many ways. I can't wait to get my hands on this book!

He looks like Bonnie Raitt in that photo.

sputnik, kersalli, Mrs P and 1 others like this.
    We all like to think we're so special. But in the end, we all do the same stupid shit. - Dennis Miller

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh, I think he's prettier than she is! I like his hair a lot more.

On an aside, for those who like to read biographies/autobiographies, you must read Chuck Berry's autobiography.

The man not only was a musical inspiration, but he writes in the same way, often inventing his own words. I've never read a better book.

Chuck Berry: The Autobiography was published in 1987, when the author was sixty years old. He wrote the book without a ghostwriter.

Trust me. Mr. Berry didn't need a ghostwriter.
    Last edited by AnnT; October 12th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnT View Post
    The man not only was a musical inspiration, but
    ...he's also a convicted kiddie fiddler and noted scatological voyeur
    sputnik and Novice like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

^^^
    you mean he liked to watch people pooing?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Video taped them, without their knowledge. In the ladies room of a restaurant he owned.

that is messed up. brb off to wikipedia.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hey, he just wanted to play with his ding a ling
    msdeb and Wilson like this.

The Dirt is my favourite rock book. It's about Motley Crue. Seriously good stuff.
    JadeStar70 and gas_chick like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    The Dirt is my favourite rock book. It's about Motley Crue. Seriously good stuff.

Yep! I just read The Dirt again a couple of weeks ago, for like the 10th time.....that shit never gets old. Nikki and Tommy were known as the Toxic Twins,...I hadn't heard that ever said of Tyler/Perry.

I listened to Howard Stern interview Joe Perry last week. You could tell he had more to say about Steven, but Howard couldn't pin him down to much on the specifics. He kept saying, read the book. I figured there was some good dirt in there. Steven seems very self centered and has to have things HIS way. That would be hard to deal with over the last 45 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information