Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Annie Lennox: Beyonce’s feminism is ‘feminist lite… it’s tokenistic to me’

Default Annie Lennox: Beyonce’s feminism is ‘feminist lite… it’s tokenistic to me’

Goddess, icon, advocate and all-around genius Annie Lennox gave a really great interview to PrideSource recently. You can read the full piece here – she talks a lot about where she is an artist, how the world is a dark and beautiful place, whether she feels she can write music when she’s happy and much, much more. The conversation veers around to labels and Annie’s long-standing relationship with the LGBTQ community, all of which is very interesting. But then they ask her about feminism. That’s the “shots fired!!” part, because Annie is asked specifically about Beyonce dancing on a stripper pole in front of a screen reading “FEMINISM.” To be fair, I don’t think Annie dislikes Beyonce or anything. Annie just isn’t a sycophant.

PrideSource: As a longtime feminist, how do you feel about the way the term “feminist” has been reframed in contemporary culture?
    Lennox:
    It’s a process. It continues to be reframed, and necessarily so, because people’s relationship to the word has been a bit ambivalent over the last few decades. According to who you speak to, they don’t sometimes quite know what to do with the word. I did one event in particular called (Barclays) Women of the Year and they select certain people for certain kinds of recognition, and I was given an award not so long ago. I was so touched to have this award. I felt like I’m with a certain kind of camaraderie here and we’re all together in this room – 400 women from all walks of life – and I said at the podium, “I’m proud to be a feminist; let’s everybody stand up.” Half of the room stayed seated. It was such a hard moment for me because I realized that some women, many women, still have issues with the word and almost distance themselves from it because they’re afraid it’s synonymous with hating men.

Which is something you don’t believe to be true, right?

Not at all. I think that what happened over the years, and quite rightly so, is that women had to be incredibly radical, stringent and strident about the voice of feminism. They had to do that, but I think that nowadays it’s a more subtle thing. But we need men to be onboard with us. That’s my view. Some women might disagree with me.

So what do you make of someone like Beyonce? She recently performed on the MTV Video Music Awards and proclaimed herself a “feminist” during her set.

I would call that “feminist lite.” L-I-T-E. I’m sorry. It’s tokenistic to me. I mean, I think she’s a phenomenal artist – I just love her performances – but I’d like to sit down (with her). I think I’d like to sit down with quite a few artists and talk to them. I’d like to listen to them; I’d like to hear what they truly think. I see a lot of it as them taking the word hostage and using it to promote themselves, but I don’t think they necessarily represent wholeheartedly the depths of feminism – no, I don’t. I think for many it’s very convenient and it looks great and it looks radical, but I have some issues with it. I have issues with it. Of course I do. I think it’s a cheap shot. I think what they do with it is cheap and … yeah. What can I tell you? Sex always sell. And there’s nothing wrong with sex selling, but it depends on your audience. If they’re 7-year-old kids, I have issues with it.

[From PrideSource]

Cele|bitchy | Annie Lennox: Beyonce’s feminism is ‘feminist lite… it’s tokenistic to me’
    BITTER, sparkles and Sunrider like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Annie Lennox makes me nostalgic for a simpler time in music. A time where the main requirement didn't seem to be how close to getting your flaps out you can go in an outfit without actually doing it. I wonder if the Eurythmics would even be looked at twice if they were starting out now? I think Annie is a damn handsome woman but she doesn't fit the generic boobs and booty look of today.
    HWBL, snoopqueen, idunno and 8 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Love this interview.
    chartreuse and Sunrider like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

I think I just fell in love with Annie.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Always loved her and especially because she was so far above Madonna in every possible way back in the eighties when the Eurythmics were the shit.
    Drive-by poster

I think I'm even more in love with her now.
    Kittylady, Sunrider and Callalily like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I wonder if Beyonce would sit with a dictiornary trying to translate this interview to understand most words.

Silver Member

Beyonce is no feminist, I wouldn't even have couched it with "lite."

Loved her from the minute I saw the Sweet Dreams video. She's just fucking cool.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Bronze Member

i love annie lennox. have loved her for years and love her more now!
    Callalily and Sunrider like this.

Silver Member

I agree with her 100% Beyonce and her ilk have reduced feminism to a cool catchphrase.

I would call that “feminist lite.” L-I-T-E. I’m sorry. It’s tokenistic to me. I mean, I think she’s a phenomenal artist – I just love her performances – but I’d like to sit down (with her).
    And say what? You'd get more intellectual stimulation conversing with a stop sign.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by lucianodel View Post
    I wonder if Beyonce would sit with a dictiornary trying to translate this interview to understand most words.
    Annie: Beyonce, I'd like to talk to you about feminism.
    Beyonce: Um, ok. But I already got tampons. So, if you'll excuse me, my Grammy is giving out awards and stuff, and I have'ta find a dress to match my weave. Um ruul excited. Bye, gurl....
    Kittylady and Callalily like this.

Nothing will ever come close to the awesomeness and powerful image of when I saw Annie Lennox come on my tv screen back in the early 80's with her almost shaved orange hair dressed in a suit with a stick singing of sweet dreams. Love her. Keep talking and singing, Annie!
    Kittylady, Callalily and Sunrider like this.

I still listen to "Diva"...that CD is timeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information