• 2 Post By sputnik
  • 4 Post By SillyME54
  • 1 Post By PecanPie
  • 3 Post By effie2
  • 1 Post By Charmed Hour

Thread: John Galliano Appointed Creative Director of Maison Martin Margiela

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default John Galliano Appointed Creative Director of Maison Martin Margiela

John Galliano Couture Return - Creative Director Maison Martin Margiela (Vogue.com UK)

CONFIRMED: Galliano Returns To Fashion
    • 06 October 2014
    • Lauren Milligan

Picture credit: Patrick Demarchelier/Maison Martin Margiela

JOHN GALLIANO will restart his fashion career as creative director of Maison Martin Margiela. The move confirms rumours that began last week that Galliano was headed to the Paris-based house.

"Margiela is ready for a new charismatic creative soul," Renzo Rosso, president of OTB, which controls Margiela, said today. "John Galliano is one of the greatest, undisputed talents of all time - a unique, exceptional couturier for a maison that always challenged and innovated the world of fashion. I look forward to his return to create that fashion dream that only he can create, and wish him to here find his new home."

He is expected to show his first designs for the house in January during Paris Couture Week, and will take charge of all of Margiela's collections, including ready-to-wear. The collection will the first under Galliano's creative control since he was dismissed by Dior in March 2011.

Margiela himself, who retired from the house in 2009, was famously reclusive - seldom speaking to the media or appearing in public, and the house has continued in that vein, remaining reluctant to hold a designer aloft as its "face". This may suit Galliano, who has been careful to ensure his re-entry into fashion is a "step-by-step" process, in line with his recovery from addiction issues.

John Galliano Couture Return - Creative Director Maison Martin Margiela (Vogue.com UK)

I'm glad. He's too talented to be shunned forever and seems to have worked on his issues.
    Dorahacky and arie_skop like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I'm glad. He's too talented to be shunned forever and seems to have worked on his issues.
    I don't know how I feel about this. I agree that he's incredibly talented and I was really sad when he got fired from Dior; however, what he said was horrible and I don't think being "drunk" was a good enough excuse. I just don't see how someone can just get over being racist esp if they've been harboring those feelings for so long.

It depends how much support and help he has this time around and whether he can stay away from drink and drugs when under pressure for all the collections he has to produce.

Gold Member

I never thought I'd say this but he looked better with the Simon Legree moustache...
    Lalasnake likes this.

I love his work and i am glad he will work again,it will be a pity for such a talent to waste away.I can always separate in my mind the creator from his creations.I can enjoy a movie,music ,books or fashion and have no respect for the people who made them..

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SillyME54 View Post
    I don't know how I feel about this. I agree that he's incredibly talented and I was really sad when he got fired from Dior; however, what he said was horrible and I don't think being "drunk" was a good enough excuse. I just don't see how someone can just get over being racist esp if they've been harboring those feelings for so long.
    While I can agree with you... how often do we buy goods/services from racists/bigots, etc. without knowing their beliefs? Some are just better than others at hiding their true colors.
    SillyME54 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    While I can agree with you... how often do we buy goods/services from racists/bigots, etc. without knowing their beliefs? Some are just better than others at hiding their true colors.
    True. But just based on the fact that he has revealed his true colors makes it harder for me to support him - but it's not like I can afford his stuff anyway. It's kind of like what happened to Chris Brown. Despite being a huge asshole, he's very talented. So what do people who like his music do in that situation? I can agree with what effie said about separating the artist from the work but in my mind, it makes it a little harder to appreciate the work knowing that the artist is a huge racist. I loved John Galliano before (he was my favorite designer) but it's hard for me to justify supporting him again. In the end though, I probably will be ogling his new work because the man is extremely talented.

Agreed this racist dip shit is hugely talented but MMM? Really? it is like Armani designing for Versace???

He looks like a ball buster.

He's holding a tribble.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    He's holding a tribble.

i just noticed that! does it even have a face??
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information