Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: London Laughs at Lindsay Lohanís West End Debut

mjw
    Elite Member

Default London Laughs at Lindsay Lohanís West End Debut

LONDON-- Lindsay Lohan only has one major speech in the David Mamet play that marks her West End debut. Unfortunately, she couldn’t remember how it went.

On the first night of previews, a work-in-progress feel is to be expected. But halfway through the second act of [I]Speed-the-Plow, the audience was openly laughing at Lohan’s struggle to grasp Mamet’s sharp, trademark dialogue.

After her first audible prompt, which came shortly after the interval, the audience sat patiently. The second led to titters in the stalls. Unfortunately for Lohan, the next line delivered by Richard Schiff (Toby from [I]The West Wing) was: “You have done a fantastic job!”

The laughter grew louder.

Although she was sitting staring at a book, which may or may not have contained clues, a third prompt from the wings had Lohan smirking, and she raised her hand to her heart apologetically. By now, even her serious lines were being greeted with laughter. “I know what it is to be bad, I’ve been bad,” her character Karen emotes. More laughter.

“Oh my god, it’s so embarrassing,” said a woman in the crowd during an unusually long set change. In truth, Lohan remained charming throughout.

The chaotic second half had not started promisingly when the occupants of the box closest to the stage tipped a glass of champagne over someone in the front row. It ended with a minor wardrobe malfunction as Lohan’s blouse puffed out—untucked—below what was supposed to be a smart new outfit.

This theatrical debut from Lohan in London, where she claims to have moved for good, marks a modest return to the spotlight after years of court appearances and tales of unrest on set. She has been a regular fixture in the British gossip pages despite a hectic schedule of rehearsals.

Contrary to some of the Twitter reviews, this was no car crash. If Lohan can nail her lines in the coming days, this somewhat pedestrian interpretation of the Mamet classic certainly could find its stride. The action focuses on the decision-making process of a movie studio hotshot. How do you decide which films to make? How are Hollywood careers forged and broken?

All of this, of course, has personal echoes for Lohan, a child star who burned out in the public eye. Perhaps her naive but ambitious character, desperate to make it in Los Angeles, has too many resonant lines for the audience to fully forget that this is Lindsay Lohan on stage.

When she says, breathily, “I’m serious, I’d do anything,” it’s going to be difficult for any audience to keep a straight face.

For all of Lohan’s discomfort, Schiff revels in Mamet’s edgy, witty lines. His movie producer character, Bobby Gould, is restrained but still crackling with energy. The West Wing alum is by far the best thing in the play. Though a consummate professional and far more gifted actor, Schiff doesn't share the multimillion-dollar Hollywood prospects of Lohan, whether she manages to rebuild her topsy-turvy career or not.

There was one line Schiff seemed to spit out with extra relish: “Life in the movie business is like the beginning of a new love affair: it's full of surprises, and you're constantly getting fucked.” [/SIZE]

London Laughs at Lindsay Lohan‚€™s West End Debut - The Daily Beast

[/FONT][/COLOR]So Lindsay Lohan had her lines written down in a book & also got fed a line. Total car crash.

Efrain Schunior@iieeef 12m
    Even Madonna was able to pull off speed the plow. Poor Lindsay
    Last edited by Tati; September 26th, 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Lmfao. I would have loved to have been there.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Although I never saw her as Elizabeth Taylor (I was NOT going to sully her memory by watching that shit), I can only imagine how horrible she was in a live play. Bitch cannot act, and even some of the world's best film actresses won't dare get on a stage.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post

When she says, breathily, ďIím serious, Iíd do anything,Ē itís going to be difficult for any audience to keep a straight face.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I bet she worked really hard and studied her lines religiously.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    She must be an atheist, given how well she delivered them...

It will be interesting to see if she can actually pull it together in subsequent performances. Are any of the London firms making book on this?

mjw
    Elite Member

Lindsay Lohan makes her London stage debut - and some people even thought she was good (even if she did have to be fed some of her lines)

A job well done! Lindsay lapped up the roaring applause from the audience at the conclusion of the play despite some unintentional laughter throughout

t was supposed to be her acting comeback, a triumphant debut on stage in London's West End in the production of Speed The Plow.

But sadly for Lindsay Lohan, things didn't exactly go to plan on her opening night on Wednesday.

While not an unmitigated disaster, the 28-year-old actress didn't appear to know her lines off by heart, reading some from a book while being fed others from the side of stage and her one main passionate speech only succeeded in causing the audience to burst into laughter, according to onlookers.

While one Twitter user called it a 'car crash', this doesn't appear to have been the case but judging from the audience reaction, it doesn't appear as if Lindsay will be vying for any theatre awards this year.

The three act play, written by David Mamet, tells the story of two Hollywood hot shots, Bobbie Gould and Charlie Fox (Richard Schiff and Nigel Lindsay), who both attempt to bed their new secretary, Karen (Lohan).
    A source exclusively told MailOnline: 'She was just fine, she did forget her lines a couple of times but covered it up like a pro. She was a pleasant surprise for sure.

'Lindsay's character was quite interesting and she immersed herself in the role, she was very strong in the second scene which was her biggest one.'

The source added: 'She looked amazing... I was in awe of her. It was no means a perfect performance and she's certainly no Judi Dench, but she wasn't awful.

'There is a line where she says "I know what it is to be bad, I've been bad" and the audience all cracked up laughing but she got great applause in the curtain call and someone passed her flowers from audience.'

While those in the audience agreed Lohah looked beautiful, reaction was mixed on her performance.

She caused unintentional hilarity with one particular section of her speech when the Hollywood bad girl, who has spent time in jail and rehab, said (in character as Karen), 'I know what it is to be bad, I’ve been bad.'

Onlookers revealed this caused the entire theatre to burst into laughter, something which Lohan would not have been too pleased with.

And Twitter reaction was decidedly mixed: 'User @toflee wrote: 'So Lindsay Lohan had her lines written down in a book & also got fed a line. Total car crash.'

For me? Lindsay looked taken aback when an assistant ran up to hand her the beautiful blooms

Jitters: According to some audience members on Twitter, the star forgot a few of her lines

And ‏@rafayfay added: 'Major kudos to the woman who was feeding Lindsay Lohan her lines from offstage at #speedtheplow.'

‏@mizukawaseiwa tweeted: 'Oh my, and Richard Schiff! - @thedailybeast: London laughs at Lindsay Lohan's West End debut: London Laughs at Lindsay Lohan‚€™s West End Debut - The Daily Beast .'

However, there were some positive reviews with ‏@SamuelCh writing, 'Loved love loved #speedtheplow !! @lindsaylohan was superb in the 3rd act! Such an amazing actress!!

He added: 'She was a bit nervous at the beginning but then totally nailed it!'

@officialkims took to Twitter to write 'and Congratulations @lindsaylohan opening night of #speedtheplow all the fear is really only one fear.'

And fan account @LindsayLohanGua tweeted: 'I'm going to cry!!!! OMG you deserve an everyday standing ovation @lindsaylohan xoxoxo repost from.'

But according to the Daily Beast, one woman in the crowd moaned 'Oh my God, it's so embarrassing' as Lohan performed.

And the Twitter reviews continued to roll in.

‘Lindsay Lohan needed line prompting 5 times, after the interval, but hiding behind 1st preview nerves is a great performance. #speedtheplow,’ one user remarked on Twitter.
    ‘@lindsaylohan laughing every time she forgot her lines was amazing. #speedtheplow #TheLindsayLohanPlay,’ added another.

But many punters were impressed with Lilo's acting chops. ‘At the #speedtheplow intermission: @lindsaylohan looks beautiful and clearly belongs on the stage,’ one mused.

'@lindsaylohan #speedtheplow a-mazing,' agreed another.

Earlier Lindsay arrived at the theatre with a paperback copy of the play in her hand and suspiciously plumped up lips ahead of her debut.

Read more: Speed The Plow audience divided over Lindsay Lohan's opening night performance | Daily Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited by mjw; September 24th, 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Richard Schiff (Toby from The West Wing)
    Here's hoping that if Lohan doesn't learn her lines Schiff will go all Toby Ziegler on her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1NHzQ1sgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptht4swOcxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoQXrW2rbLg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V3Z39KwJ_Y

Fly_On_TheWall likes this.

Gold Member

If her acting is of the same calibre as that "Oh Em Gee - are those flowers for moi?!" face then she is fucked.
    sprynkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post

Is her character 40 years old? If so, at least she nailed that part.

Ladies beware: Drugs +Alcohol +Too Much PS/Filler Too Soon = ^^That^^
    deenz, rollo and Syd like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

I like they way they describe a waking nightmare for a few paragraphs and then say, "contrary to some of the Twitter reviews, this was no car crash."

Um, yeah, it was by the sound of it.
    PecanPie likes this.
    ďWhat are you looking at, sugar-tits?Ē - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    No doubt.

Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Geez she does look awful here and that stringy hair onstage is bad. Doesn't professional theatre have makeup artists and stylists working in back? This is terrible.

Those extensions. Oy.

Obviously the whole package is atrocious, but those extensions are particularly cringe-inducing.

Also, I'm 44 and look younger than her. That is all.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

They must be smoking some quality crack at the Fail if their "insider" says she looked beautiful. I'm having trouble reconciling "I was in awe of her" with "she wasn't awful". High praise indeed.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information