Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: “Django Unchained” Actress Mistaken For Prostitute, Arrested

Default “Django Unchained” Actress Mistaken For Prostitute, Arrested

A Django Unchained actress is claiming she was 'handcuffed and detained' by police after being mistaken for a prostitute as she kissed her white husband.
    Daniele Watts, who played slave CoCo in the award-winning film, posted the news on her Facebook page on 2 September and said her arm was cut when she was handcuffed.
    Watts and her husband Brian James Lucas claim that they were kissing on a Hollywood street when police were called and they were asked to show their ID card to which Watts refused.
    Scroll down for video

+9

Django Unchained actress Daniele Watts is claiming she was 'handcuffed and detained' by police after being mistaken for a prostitute as she kissed her white husband. She posted this photo of the alleged September 2 incident on Facebook

+9

+9

Watts and her husband Brian James Lucas claim that they were kissing on a Hollywood street when police were called and they were asked to show their ID card to which Watts refused

+9

Watts posted the news on her Facebook page and said her arm was cut when she was handcuffed

+9

Watt's husband wrote: 'So they handcuffed her and threw her roughly into the back of the cop car until they could figure out who she was. In the process of handcuffing her, they cut her wrist'

Watts wrote on her Facebook page: 'Today I was handcuffed and detained by 2 police officers from the Studio City Police Department after refusing to agree that I had done something wrong by showing affection, fully clothed, in a public place.'

More...

She also posted a photo of crying as she stood in the street wearing patterned shorts, a t-shirt with 'New York' written on it and running shoes with a policeman next to her.
    Watts, who plays Martin Lawrence's daughter on the new FX comedy Partners, continued: 'When the officer arrived, I was standing on the sidewalk by a tree.

+9

Watts and her husband pose for a photo on her Facebook page. He posted the social media network that he thought that the person who called the police had decided they looked like a prostitute and a client

+9

+9

The pair both wrote about the alleged incident on their respective Facebook pages

Django Unchained Official Trailer

'I was talking to my father on my cell phone.
    'I knew that I had done nothing wrong, that I wasn't harming anyone, so I walked away.
    'A few minutes later, I was still talking to my dad when 2 different police officers accosted me and forced me into handcuffs.
    'As I was sitting in the back of the police car, I remembered the countless times my father came home frustrated or humiliated by the cops when he had done nothing wrong.
    'I allowed myself to be honest about my anger, frustration, and rage as tears flowed from my eyes.

+9

The actress in her role as house slave Coco Quentin Tarantino's 2012 film Django

'The tears I cry for a country that calls itself 'the land of the free and the home of the brave' and yet detains people for claiming that very right.
    Separately her chef husband posted on his Facebook page that he thought that the person who called the police had decided they looked like a prostitute and a client.
    He wrote: 'From the questions that he asked me as D was already on her phone with her dad, I could tell that whoever called on us (including the officers), saw a tatted RAWKer white boy and a hot bootie shorted black girl and thought we were a H* (prostitute) & a TRICK (client).
    'What an assumption to make!!!Because of my past experience with the law, I gave him my ID knowing we did nothing wrong and when they asked D for hers, she refused to give it because they had no right to do so.
    'So they handcuffed her and threw her roughly into the back of the cop car until they could figure out who she was. In the process of handcuffing her, they cut her wrist, which was truly NOT COOL!!!'
    An LAPD public information officer said there was no record of the incident as Watts was not arrested or brought into the station for questioning, according to the Chicago Tribune.

This is just.... *Shakes head in disappointment*

Although, this is just a general question, when an officer asks for I.D., are you required to show it (when you're not being stopped in your vehicle)?

ETA:

In a free society, citizens who are minding their own business are not obligated to "show their papers" to police. In fact, in the United States there's no law requiring citizens to carry identification of any kind.

So when can police ask for ID?

Carrying an ID is generally required if you're driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline. These requirements have been upheld on the slippery premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.
    From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to reveal their identity when officers havereasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as "stop-and-identify" statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.
    As of 2012, 24 states had stop-and-identify laws. Regardless of your state's law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you're involved in illegal activity.
    Source: When do I have to show ID? - Police Encounters - Know My Rights

Wiki Stop and Identify Statutes:
    Stop and identify statutes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    Watts and her husband Brian James Lucas claim that they were kissing on a Hollywood street when police were called and they were asked to show their ID card to which Watts refused.

Separately her chef husband posted on his Facebook page that he thought that the person who called the police had decided they looked like a prostitute and a client.
    'What an assumption to make!!!Because of my past experience with the law, I gave him my ID knowing we did nothing wrong and when they asked D for hers, she refused to give it because they had no right to do so.
    A main factor in this story (from what little detail we know), in my humble opinion, is that a 3rd party called the police on the couple, suspecting she was a prostitute.
    From the information that has been provided, the police didn't just drive by, spot them together, and stop them.
    As the media fire grows on this story, I'm sure that detail will be lost amongst the flames...

Not condoning the racial profiling at all (on the 3rd party's or the police's part) nor do I condone how the police handled the situation, but it sounds as though when her husband showed the police his ID when they asked for it, and she refused, that exacerbated their "suspicion"/escalated the situation...

Still, a sad situation all around....
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; September 14th, 2014 at 04:14 PM.
    Shinola and Annika like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

First of all, were they in Hollywood or Studio City? Two different cities.

Second, if what they are saying is true, I wouldn't show police my ID either. If I was walking down the street, kissing my husband and the police stopped me and asked me for ID, I would refuse. I would ask them why and would demand answers.
    Bombshell, Brookie, deenz and 3 others like this.

Jesus Fucking Tits, America! What happened to progress? Black women get the biggest shaft in society. Thanks or proving it, LAPD!
    Brookie, BITTER, NickiDrea and 7 others like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I just don't get why she wouldn't just show her ID. Seems like it might have resolved the situation much quicker instead of wasting everyones time over something so stupid. Eitherway, messed up situation.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

^The principle of it. Why should she have to prove she's not a prostitute because she kissed her husband while wearing shorts?
    BITTER, czb, Bombshell and 12 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    ^The principle of it. Why should she have to prove she's not a prostitute because she kissed her husband while wearing shorts?
    Exactly.

The only reason that they thought she was a prostitute was because of the color of her skin, and the fact that she was kissing a white man.
    Shinola, sputnik, *DIVA! and 1 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

czb

^^^ i agree. based on the photo, she is wearing normal clothes, not hooker wear. so i want to know what they were doing (if anything) that made a third party call the police. that's what i'm not getting. it doesn't make sense to me that they were stopped just because they were an interacial couple in LA (like kris said, it is unclear what city) who were kissing.
    Bombshell likes this.

^Danielle said Studio City on her Facebook. Okay, I'm not sure about this. What happens when you call the cops on someone suspecting illegal activity? It sounds like the police didn't randomly make a beeline for her, but were responding to a call they received from a resident nearby and asked for her ID. Is she required to produce it by law?

From what I understand, California is not one of the states where you are obliged to show ID. Police sound like dicks.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

An LAPD public information officer said there was no record of the incident as Watts was not arrested or brought into the station for questioning, according to the Chicago Tribune.
    So police respond to a complaint/suspicion, can handcuff and detain someone, but as long as no actual arrest is made, no record is made of it? I'd think once they slap the cuffs on someone, it's an "incident" worthy of a write-up even if they end up not arresting the person.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

In my experience if you don't show your ID when asked, depending on why you were stopped, you CAN be detained until the police can determine who you are. I've taught those know your rights classes, but I always tell people to show their ID if the police ask for it and you have it. Fighting/with refusing to cooperate with police is rarely a good idea, especially if you are a minority of either gender. I am the last (seriously, LAST) person to condone racial profiling. But when you encounter the police it is rarely a good idea to not cooperate in a ped stop.

edit: and yes, the police don't keep records of every person they stop, nor are they required to. I wish they would, though.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

California Über Alles
    chartreuse and BelledeJour like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love the pictures of them together. If she were my wife, I'd be kissing her all the time, too.
    Shinola likes this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I love the pictures of them together. If she were my wife, I'd be kissing her all the time, too.
    only if she were wearing the maid's outfit.

what made the cops stop them still makes no sense to me. just because the cops received a call, doesn't mean it is legitimate. any shnook can make a complaint.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information