Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 2 Post By Palermo
  • 3 Post By stella blue

Thread: Golfer Greg Norman nearly slices left hand off with chainsaw

Default Golfer Greg Norman nearly slices left hand off with chainsaw

'Damaged but not down and out': Greg Norman nearly loses his left hand in horrific chainsaw accident

• The golf legend took to Instagram to share an image of himself in hospital
    • He wrote in the caption: 'I was one lucky man today...still have left hand'
    • Norman shared an image of himself using the chainsaw in his garden less only one week ago

By LILLIAN RADULOVA FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA
    PUBLISHED: 06:53, 14 September 2014 | UPDATED: 10:05, 14 September 2014

Greg Norman was lucky to escape with both hands intact after a chainsaw accident saw the Australian professional golfer rushed to hospital.
    The 59-year-old is currently recovering from the accident in a US hospital.
    Despite the ordeal, Mr Norman clearly remained in good spirits as he took to Instagram to share a picture of himself in his hospital bed.

+4

Greg Norman revealed he was in hospital via an Instagram post in which he said he had been involved in an accident while using a chainsaw

'Working with a chainsaw ALWAYS be respectful of the unexpected,' Mr Norman wrote in the pictures caption, accompanied by symbols of hands and a thumbs up.

'I was one lucky man today. Damaged, but not down and out. Still have left hand.'
    The image shows the former golfer lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to tubes and monitors.

+4

The Australian professional golfer said he was 'one lucky man' and said that he still has his left hand

A hole in a purple foam object beside him, shows a glimpse of Mr Norman's left arm, which appears to be bandaged.
    Only a week earlier, the pro golfer had shared a image of himself using what is likely to be the same chainsaw on his property.
    Smiling at the camera with the machine in his arms, Mr Norman is pictured standing on a beach beside a heavy branch he'd just cut down.

+4

+4

Norman, who currently lives in Florida in the United States, was formerly ranked the world's best golfer

'Time to trim the sea grapes today,' the caption said.
    'Never ask someone to do something that you can do yourself. Love to work!'
    Mr Norman, who has won 91 professional world events and was ranked the world's best golfer during the peak of his career, now lives in Florida in the United States.

Read more: Greg Norman in hospital after chainsaw accident sees him almost lose his left hand | Mail Online

Chainsaw demands some strenght, golfer hardly look like they have much muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by lucianodel View Post
    Chainsaw demands some strenght, golfer hardly look like they have much muscles.
    Are you basing that also on his mom jeans?

I have to admit, I'm wondering how this would happen, too. When I was a kid, I would hear stories of people who would be chain sawing a tree or branch, and then hit a super-hard knot in the middle of the cut, causing the chainsaw to shoot backwards and hit them in the shoulder or torso - but not the wrist. I wonder if he was standing on something with the chainsaw and then lost his balance while cutting?
    Bombshell and BoogsBun like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Are you basing that also on his mom jeans?

I have to admit, I'm wondering how this would happen, too. When I was a kid, I would hear stories of people who would be chain sawing a tree or branch, and then hit a super-hard knot in the middle of the cut, causing the chainsaw to shoot backwards and hit them in the shoulder or torso - but not the wrist. I wonder if he was standing on something with the chainsaw and then lost his balance while cutting?
    That happened to my Granddad when I was a kid. Except it hit him in the face when it bounced up. They said his dentures helped a lot, because the chainsaw bounced off of them. It was a gnarly looking wound too, took 100+ stitches to close up 3 inches of gash.

My MIL was a nurse in the emergency room. Hearty Midwest farmers. One guy had the chainsaw rear back, it got stuck in his neck, and he drove himself to the ER. Just thinking about that scene makes me want to throw up. Leave chainsaws to the experts.
    Brookie and Bombshell like this.

This whole story makes me squeamish.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

A*O

Chainsaws are very dangerous, even when used by experts. My BIL nearly lost a leg when the chainsaw "kicked back" and luckily someone else was there to call the ambos or he'd have bled to death. MrAO used to work with them and says most the the accidents are caused by poor maintenance and inexperience.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

An old friend of mine nearly cut his wrist off with a chainsaw (sounds similar to this injury). He was on a ladder cutting a tree branch and fell and the chainsaw landed on his wrist. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Chainsaws are very dangerous, even when used by experts. My BIL nearly lost a leg when the chainsaw "kicked back" and luckily someone else was there to call the ambos or he'd have bled to death. MrAO used to work with them and says most the the accidents are caused by poor maintenance and inexperience.
    I've used a lot of chainsaws, but they were all electric. That part probably doesn't matter, though, because you still have a serrated chain spinning hundreds of times a minute. I have been pretty freewheeling with them and still don't see how the dangerous kickbacks happen. Normally as soon as you let go of the trigger the chain stops spinning. You need to hold it in a position of power (both feet on the ground, two hands holding chainsaw and pointing downward), so that if a kickback happens, you still have a lot of control. The people who I have heard of this happening to have typically been up on trees or standing on ladders. I wonder if being in that position makes you more likely to hold on to the chainsaw trigger because you are preoccupied with maintaining your balance.

What I think is actually pretty dangerous is the reciprocating saw that I own. There seem to be even less safety features than on a chain saw, and when you let go, the freaking thing continues to saw back and forth for another 10 seconds. So happy to still have all my fingers, limbs. Even the face.

I'm doing well to wield a potato peeler safely, so me and power tools are a no go.

After watching the Texas Chainsaw Masacure, I've wanted an engraved chainsaw with the words"the saw is family".
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Thread Information