Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Neil Young Files for Divorce From Pegi Young, Wife of 36 Years

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Neil Young Files for Divorce From Pegi Young, Wife of 36 Years

Neil Young has filed for divorce from Pegi Young, his wife of 36 years and frequent musical collaborator. A petition for dissolution of marriage was filed by Young in their hometown of San Mateo, California, on July 29th. A hearing is scheduled for December 12th. A rep for Neil Young had no comment.

Pegi is the inspiration for some of Young's most enduring love songs, including "Such a Woman," "Unknown Legend" and "Once an Angel." She began serving as his background singer in the 1990s, sharing the stage with him at the 1994 Academy Awards and numerous tours over the past 20 years. They last performed together at the Bridge School Benefit in October of 2013.

Neil first met Pegi when she was working as a waitress at a diner near his California ranch, a story he tells in the 1992 song "Unknown Legend." "I used to order just to watch her float across the floor," he sang. "She grew up in a small town/Never put her roots down."

Pegi has released three solo albums since 2007 and she's toured extensively on her own, occasionally with Neil on guitar. Inspired by the lack of educational opportunities for their son Ben, who suffers from cerebral palsy, they co-founded the Bridge School in 1986, which educates children with severe physical impairments. They raise funds for it every year with an all-star concert in Mountain View, California.

Neil recently wrapped up a European Crazy Horse tour and is slated to play American solo acoustic dates in October. Pegi just concluded a brief U.S. club tour. They were both slated to play Farm Aid in Raleigh, North Carolina, on September 13th, though Pegi's name was recently removed from the lineup.

Source

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Neil Young Files for Divorce From Pegi Young, Wife of 36 Years

Wow, no shit. Damn I loved him back in the day, my first rock star crush, and I've read a lot about him. Seems like he'd be a hard guy to live with, and I do think he treated Carrie Snodgress like shit. His and Pegi's son is very severely disabled and I believe needs round the clock care. (His son with Carrie also has cerebral palsy, but to a much lesser degree.) A lot to go through as a couple, but sad to see anyone ending after so many years together.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

i admit, i don't know much about cerebral palsy but i thought it wasn't genetic? but i guess in this case it obviously is if both his sons from different moms have it.
    i remember hearing that neil young had two disabled kids but i didn't know it was palsy in both cases.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i admit, i don't know much about cerebral palsy but i thought it wasn't genetic? but i guess in this case it obviously is if both his sons from different moms have it.
    i remember hearing that neil young had two disabled kids but i didn't know it was palsy in both cases.
    It's estimated that 1% of CP cases are genetic. More so due to other genetic factors probably starting a chain of events in utero leading to CP.

Eta that Neil Young and his daughter are epileptic. Could be the underlying issue leading to CP in his sons?

I think in general it's not considered genetic but does recur in a small percentage of families. He and Pegi also have a daughter and she was not affected as far as I know.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

neil lives in woodside, not san mateo. sloppy journalism ....

Gold Member

I like Neil. Sad that they are divorcing.

my sister-in-law has cp, and her father was advanced in age when she was conceived / born . . . I've read that's another strong correlation, paternal age and cp. Perhaps neither here nor there, but the general stuff I read made it seem that it's not clear yet what factors contribute to cp. it used be thought to be a result of birth trauma? which is not true.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

*giggles while thinking of Neil Young's father... *
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

His son with Carrie Snodgress is now believed to have suffered a stroke in utero, not to truly have CP. He's high functioning. His younger son is a non verbal quadriplegic, poor guy.

Poor Carrie had very little luck with men, she was badly beaten with a gun by Jack Nitzsche post Young

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^^
    and i just read that his daughter has epilepsy, just like her dad.

basically, neil young's got some fucked up genes...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Often times children later diagnosed with CP show evidence of bleeding on the brain at birth (stroke, aneurysm, etc). Whether it was in utero or birth trauma is usually unknown. What many don't realize is there are 3 types of CP, and research points at each being caused by different factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    *giggles while thinking of Neil Young's father... *
    I couldn't figure out what you were going on about, but then realized you are probably thinking of Neil Diamond?
    sluce likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I couldn't figure out what you were going on about, but then realized you are probably thinking of Neil Diamond?
    oh thank god you corrected me.. i STILL can't stop the giggles though. it's too late.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I saw a documentary on Neil Young and they seemed very much together personally and professionally so this is kinda sad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information