Katie Holmes Buys House in Calabasas | Variety
    Katie Holmes Buys Calabasas Crib
    August 22, 2014 | 09:03AM PT

By Mark David
    @YourMamaTweets

BUYER: Katie Holmes
    PRICE: $3,375,000
    SIZE: 6,200 square feet, 6 bedrooms, 6.5 bathrooms

YOUR MAMA’S NOTES: Ever since Katie Holmes up and left movie star super-Scientologist Tom Cruise she and their fashion maverick daughter, Suri, now eight, have shacked up in a rented apartment in a celebrity-filled building in New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood. It seems, however, her New York City days have come to an end and, as per celebrity gossip juggernaut TMZ, the stylish and photogenic divorcee dropped $3.375 million on small mansion in the same guard gated development in Calabasas, CA, where other residents include, Michael’s long-suffering mother, Katherine Jackson, and whatever of the Jackson clan shack up with her, Toni Braxton, and Travis Barker who recently bought himself a new house near Century City. Both Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian also own mansion in the ‘hood, the former recently bought her spread from hellion pop star Justin Bieber and the latter even more recently bought her
    allegedly mold infested mansion from former professional footballer Keyshawn Johnson.

Listing details Your Mama managed to tease up out of the internets describe the approximately 6,200-square-foot house in question as an “extensively customized…Grand European Manor” while Your Mama might less kindly call it a modern-minded if liberally pastiched and prototypical suburban Tudoresque mini-manse. Whatever the case, the house sits on nearly a half, mostly walled acres with five bedrooms, 5.5 bathrooms plus a separate guest casita that’s perfect for Miz Holmes’s (probably armed) live-in bodyguard.

Not surprisingly for a seven-ish year old residence in an affluent gated development in Calabasas, the front door opens in to a grand, double height entrance with milk chocolate hardwood floors and an open staircase with wrought iron details. There’s a step down formal living room with fireplace and a formal dining room with what appears to be a Dale Chihuly-designed chandelier. For better or worse, depending on one’s point of view, both living and dining rooms have white and all but opaque floor-to-ceiling curtains that, when closed, lend the rooms a definite South Beach boutique hotel vibe.

Less formal, open-concept family space includes a family room with secondary staircase and television-surmounted corner fireplace. The adjoining and expensively outfitted center island kitchen with glossy black raised panel cabinetry, snow-white counter tops and a complete suite of high-grade stainless steel appliances.

In addition to whatever guest/family bedrooms are located on the second floor there is also an open library loft with built-in desk space and French doors to a Juliet balcony along with a master bedroom with separate sitting room/boudoir and an unexpectedly beige and brown bathroom in a house that is otherwise almost entirely did up and done over in black and white.

Outdoor living and recreation amenities include a cozy courtyard nestled between the formal living and dining rooms, a spacious loggia off the family room and kitchen that overlooks a pristine sport court, an outdoor cooking center, and a sleek swimming pool with slightly elevated spa and integrated sunken fire pit with cushioned built-in bench seating.

listing photos: Sotheby’s International Realty

Katie Holmes Buys House in Calabasas | Variety
    Brookie likes this.

The house looks pretty nice. Not a monstrosity. Cheap for California. Looks like it's on a cul de sac.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Obviously she can afford maids to clean that massive place. I regret buying a 2,100 sq ft home. I wanted something smaller, easier to maintain, but Mr P and his silly caveman mind thought more space is better.

I am not sure why she was in NYC in the first place. Was it because she was a fashion maven? Anyway, the new place looks alright.

^^^^
    fashion maven and broadway stah...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Katie Holmes buys home in Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian's gated community | Mail Online

Home Sweet Home: Katie Holmes has reportedly snapped up this gorgeous six-bedroom, six-bathroom home in the gated community of The Oaks in Calabasas, California for her and daughter Suri Cruise

Located on a .48-acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac and with 6,200-square-feet of living space, the house is the perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of busy Los Angeles.

The two-storey home is warm and inviting from the outside, with perfectly manicured lawns and a low hedge lining the curved path to the front door.

Once inside the open-plan house, visitors are greeted with gorgeous dark distressed hardwood floors that run throughout the sprawling property, a sweeping staircase sitting grandly in the double-height entryway.

Picture-perfect: Located on a .48-acre lot at the end of a cul-de-sac and with 6,200-square-feet of living space, the house is the perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of busy Los Angeles

Open-plan: Visitors are greeted with gorgeous dark distressed hardwood floors that run throughout the sprawling property, a sweeping staircase sitting grandly in the double-height entryway

Dove grey walls with crisp white baseboards and door and window trim keep the look fresh and airy, with plenty of windows throughout letting in lots of natural light.
    Perfect for home-cooked meals, the kitchen, which in contrast features white tiled flooring and black cabinetry with white countertops, is every parent and aspiring chef's dream.

The hub of the house is fully decked-out with top-of-the-range stainless steel appliances and a spacious centre island with seating for four.

Fresh and clean: Windows and French doors in every room let in plenty of natural light, while several fireplaces in the living spaces add to the cosy feel of the home

Room with a view! Two sets of French doors lead out from the formal dining room to the patio, with inviting views of the sparkling pool

Stay a while: Another fireplace in the formal living room and floor-to-ceiling windows with soft white semi-sheer drapes makes it the ideal cosy, inviting spot to settle in in the evenings

A fireplace in the living room - one of several in the house - and floor-to-ceiling windows with soft white semi-sheer drapes makes it the ideal cosy, inviting spot to settle in in the evenings.

Two sets of French doors lead out from the formal dining room to the patio, with inviting views of the sparkling pool.
    Six-year-old Suri will have her pick of bedrooms, with plenty to go around, each featuring a private ensuite bathroom and sizeable closets.

The hub of the house: Perfect for home-cooked meals, the kitchen, which in contrast features white tiled flooring and black cabinetry with white countertops, is every parent and aspiring chef's dream

Room for the whole family: Katie's master suite makes for a great place to unwind and relax after a busy day, while her six-year-old daughter will be able to have her pick of the other rooms, each with their own private ensuite and plenty of closet space

Plenty of potential: An office has been set up at the top of the stairs, though the girls may prefer to turn it into a play area for Suri - the incredible views over the mountains rather distracting when you're trying to work

Katie's master suite makes for a great place to unwind and relax after a busy day, with its own ensuite complete with a bathtub to soak away those aches and pains.
    There's also an adjoining enclave for seating and a door that leads out to an oversized sundeck overlooking the garden.

One of the rooms is actually situated in its own private guest house, great for any relatives visiting from the East Coast.

Utilising the space, an office has been set up at the top of the stairs, though the girls may prefer
    to turn it into a play area for Suri - the incredible views over the mountains rather distracting when you're trying to work.

Spacious: The actress can ease those aches and pains away after a long day on set in her own private bathtub in her ensuite

Fun in the sun! The pair will certainly be able to make the most of the perennial sunshine in LA with their spacious outdoor entertaining area

Something for everyone: Along with several patios, both covered and open, there is an expansive lawn surrounded by bushes for additional privacy, a sunken fire pit and a huge swimming pool and spa

An exposed library/loft area and rare stone and marble finishes add an extra touch of sophistication and glamour to the home.

The pair will certainly be able to make the most of the perennial sunshine in LA with their spacious outdoor entertaining area.

Along with several patios, both covered and open, there is an expansive lawn surrounded by bushes for additional privacy, a sunken fire pit and a huge swimming pool and spa.

The property also comes complete with a half-size basketball court.

Entertainers' delight: An outdoor dining setting complete with a heat lamp for those cooler months and comfy lounge seating are situated under cover for year-round entertaining

Extravagant: The sunken fire pit will provide the perfect gathering place

Shooting hoops: Though she may not be able to go and see her beloved New York Knicks play anymore, Katie will now have her own private basketball court

Not too shabby! The sprawling home features an arched gateway that leads to the garage at the back of the property for added privacy, with beautiful manicured lawns and a low curved hedge providing the perfect, inviting entrance

Location, location! Sitting at the end of a cul-de-sac and backing onto a reserve, the property offers plenty of seclusion

Safety first: Though they have neighbours fairly close on either side, the estate is favoured by celebrities, with gated access and security to keep out any unwanted and uninvited visitors

Katie Holmes buys home in Khloe and Kourtney Kardashian's gated community | Mail Online
    Brookie likes this.

I like it, though I'd have to get rid of that hideous chandelier in the dining room.

Pretty modest for a celebrity home.
    snoopqueen and Sunrider like this.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Elite Member

I think she was in NYC to be on the opposite coast from Tom. Now that things have settled, she can really move wherever.
    Angeli likes this.

I doubt she's giving up her NYC apartment. She probably wants to rev up her career and wants an additional home base near L.A.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I think she was in NYC to be on the opposite coast from Tom. Now that things have settled, she can really move wherever.
    And, IIRC, she wanted New York residency for divorce or child custody issues. She must feel that Tom and his cult are no longer a threat. Nice house. It looks like her neighbor has a basketball court right next to hers.
    tulip, Kittylady and Shinola like this.

The dark wood floors are giving ME dark wood. Love them.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

House is a paps dream - climb up the hill behind it & shoot straight into the garden & windows. I'm holding my breath waiting for photos showing Katie in her pool.....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Gold Member

I really like the dark wood floors. The kitchen is too dark for my taste but I like it.

California is supposed to be in a major drought and people are required to conserve water. I guess that doesn't apply to the rich and their huge pools and lawns?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Elite Member

This is probably the first Calabasas celeb home I haven't hated. It's kinda cute. Love that view from the Master suite.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information