Thread: Rocker Scott Weiland never arrested; authorities tricked by impostor

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Rocker Scott Weiland never arrested; authorities tricked by impostor

Former Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland is not happy with a Thursday TMZ report claiming he is cooling his heels in jail on a $95,000 bond. He even said so in a video he posted on Facebook shortly after the story was published.

Rather than being in jail, Weiland said, "I've actually been touring, writing and recording my new album."

The gossip outlet claimed that Weiland had been in jail since July after he was arrested for shoplifting razors, and said that while police were searching him at that time, they found meth.

Part of the story is somewhat true, police said. A man claiming to be Weiland was arrested July 26 on suspicion of shoplifting and officers did allegedly find a "controlled substance" on his person, they said. His bail was set at $20,000.

But wait, it gets stranger: According to the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Inmate Information Center website, there was a current inmate with the same name and birth date as Weiland.

Turns out the inmate, identified as Jason Michael Hurley, 44, was able to trick police and jail staff into thinking he was the famous rocker, police said late Thursday night.

The hoax went on for about four weeks before it was discovered Thursday, thanks to the real Weiland's video.

The now properly identified inmate will most likely face charges of giving false information to officers, police said.

Just how Hurley was able to trick police and jail staff is unclear, but he did have an upcoming court appearance Tuesday, according to records.

The real Weiland is threatening TMZ with legal action for what he called "a lie."

Attempts to reach TMZ for comment were unsuccessful.

source

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Rocker Scott Weiland never arrested; authorities tricked by impostor

Elite Member

I am not a fan of TMZ, if someone could make that slimy Harvey pay for some of the garbage he does I will be happy.

i think TMZ recognized the hoax at first, and then came back and said, "no, it's true afterall?" Either way, it is a wierd story and TMZ sucks. Almost as if it was for publicity for STP if it didn't really have a criminal component and all of that.

Hit By Ban Bus!

He could so still get it. I read his autobiography, and he is totally FUBAR'ed as a person, but I find "damaged goods" SO attractive. I wouldn't date or marry him, but I'd fuck him 10 ways til Sunday (protected of course, the whole heroin thing icks me out).

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    He could so still get it. I read his autobiography, and he is totally FUBAR'ed as a person, but I find "damaged goods" SO attractive. I wouldn't date or marry him, but I'd fuck him 10 ways til Sunday (protected of course, the whole heroin thing icks me out).
    I didn't know he had an autobiography. I'll have to check it out! I agree with sexy time.

I think it's fitting that he's got a prison impersonator, since he built his career making music that was at best a cheap copy of all the major grunge bands of the time, and sounding like a cheap Eddie Vedder impersonator.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information