Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By WhateverLolaWants
  • 2 Post By Rusalka

Thread: Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Gender Reassignment Surgery

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Default Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Gender Reassignment Surgery

Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Sex Reassignment Surgery - Health, Plastic Surgery : People.com

Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Sex Reassignment Surgery

By Blaine Zuckerman
    @blainezuck
    updated 07/24/2014 at 07:00 PM EDT
    originally published 07/24/2014 07:30PM

Andreja Pejic
    Dave Kotinsky/FilmMagic

In 2011, Andrej Pejic was the breakout star in the fashion world, turning heads as a male model who walked the womenswear runway shows for powerhouse designers such as Marc Jacobs and Jean Paul Gaultier.

But on a recent July afternoon in New York City, a gold nameplate necklace in script letter falls at just the right spot on the model's chest so that any onlooker could clearly read "Andreja" and subtly understand the message Pejic is now revealing to the world: The renowned androgynous model underwent sex reassignment surgery earlier this year.

"I want to share my story with the world because I think I have a social responsibility," Pejic, 22, tells PEOPLE exclusively. "I hope that by being open about this, it becomes less of an issue."

The Early Years

"I always dreamt of being a girl," explains the Serbian-born model. "One of my earliest memories is spinning around in my mom's skirt trying to look like a ballerina."

But things changed when her family moved to Australia. By age 9, Pejic came to receive what she describes as "a social message, from my brother and friends at school," that it was time to put away the dolls and skirts that she favored.

"I wanted to be a good kid and I wanted to please my parents," she says. With little success, Pejic went about trying to hang out with the boys and participate in team sports. "I kept my dreams and my imagination to myself and became pretty good at acting as a boy. But I was hiding who I was."

The Discovery

At the age of 13, in Broadmeadows, a suburb of Melbourne, Pejic's course turned digital. "I went into the library and typed 'sex change' into Google and my life changed," she recalls. The search results for the now-antiquated term yielded a flood of information and relief. "The Internet gave me the sense that there were words to describe my feelings and medical terms," says Pejic, who left realizing "this is what I need to do."

Going through government regulated channels for a minor to transition required lengthy court processes and she had neither the cash to cover legal fees nor the time, as she knew male hormones were taking effect on her body. "I knew puberty would turn me into something like my brother and father," notes Pejic, who began taking puberty blockers.

Raised primarily by her mother, she always had her family to lean on throughout her journey. "When I told my mother, grandma and my brother, they were all very supportive," Pejic, who eventually reintroduced the feminine flair into the everyday style she had shunned and developed a plan for her future, says. "I was going to finish high school as Andrej, transition, and forget about my male past."

A Designer Detour

Pejic's plans were put on hold when she was discovered at age 17 by a modeling agent. "It was an opportunity to see the world and gain some financial stability," she explains.

While her name was listed among the male models at top agencies around the world, she found herself in the enviable position of modeling both men's and women's fashions. She cites one 2011 runway moment as her finest modeling memory. "Being a bride for Gaultier was a very special moment for me,” says Pejic of walking the designer's spring haute couture show.

Pejic walking for Gaultier in Paris in 2011
    Pascal Le Segretain / Getty

But "about a year and a half ago, I reevaluated things," says Pejic. "I was proud of my gender nonconforming career. But my biggest dream was to be comfortable in my own body. I have to be true to myself and the career is just going to have to fit around that."

Pejic began meeting with doctors in the U.S. to continue her transition with sex reassignment surgery.

A New Beginning

Pejic recalls the day she'd been dreaming of for so many years.

"I was happy the moment had come – as happy as you can be before a surgery," she tells PEOPLE. Her physical recovery from the process has been steady. "It was about three months before I felt like myself again," she admits.

When asked about the extent of her surgery, "I completely agree with Laverne Cox and [former PEOPLE.com staff editor] Janet Mock," explains Pejic of notable transgender women who choose not to publicly discuss their genitalia and instead prefer to focus on advocating and activism within the trans community. Plus, "what's in between anyone's legs is not who they are."

Although Pejic has had several serious boyfriends in the past few years, she's currently single but adds, "I'm open to love."

But more important, she's loving this new chapter in her life. "Every day is like a new revelation," she says. "I'm more comfortable than ever. I feel at a 100 percent."

Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Sex Reassignment Surgery - Health, Plastic Surgery : People.com
    Last edited by dougie; July 25th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.

I'm glad she has had a supportive family and is able to be more comfortable in her body now. I hope people respect her privacy in terms of what is below the waist. It really is nobody's business.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Good for her. I think she's gorgeous.
    SoCalMarie and Honeythorn like this.

I stupidly assumed she was just a bit of a fashion gimmick so this is a little out of the blue.

Agree, she is stunning!
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Congratulations to her.
    I am glad that her (previous?) career has afforded her the waywithall to be able to afford the best so that she can live her "normal" life.

My friend recently told me about a teen that is in the process and I am glad that we are able to have the medical knowledge to facilitate this.
    Before the information age people moved to a different area, lived as the gender that they needed to, but they weren't about to change their bodies.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

happy for her.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

Transgender model Andreja Pejic on finally leaving manhood behind | Mail Online

'Now I can stand naked and enjoy my reflection in the mirror': Newly transgender model Andreja Pejic on finally leaving manhood behind
    • Andreja – formerly Andrej – Pejic, 22, went public about her decision to have sexual reassignment surgery last week
    • She has earned huge success as an androgynous model but from now on, she will only be modeling women's fashion
    • The blonde has just been cast in Sofia Coppola's upcoming film adaption of The Little Mermaid
    • Andreja once said she would only consider a sex change if she was offered a Victoria's Secret contract

By Annabel Fenwick Elliott
    Published: 10:20 EST, 29 July 2014 | Updated: 13:00 EST, 29 July 2014

It's been a week since androgynous model Andreja Pejic came out as a transgender woman and after a long wait, she's now opening up about what she describes a 'life-saving' decision.

Andreja, 22, underwent sexual reassignment surgery earlier this year to transform herself from a man to a woman, a move she's been planning since the age of 13, and although her looks haven't changed, her sexual anatomy - at last - has.

'Now I can stand naked in front of a mirror and really enjoy my reflection,' she told Style.com. 'And those personal moments are important.'

'Those personal moments are important': Andrej (pictured in April) had been planning her sexual reassignment surgery since the age of 13, and now that it's finally done, she can fully enjoy the sight of her naked body

Born in Bosnia in 1991, Andreja - who was born with the male name Andrej but has since added an 'a' to feminize it - grew up with her family in Australia, and was discovered by a talent scout while she working at McDonald's; kicking off her highly successful modelling career in 2010.

In America, which she says is less 'progressive,' Andreja has worked primarily on the male board of her agency DNA, whereas in Europe, she has been on both male and female boards.

'I told my men’s agent [in New York] about two weeks before the operation,' she explains. 'Because I didn’t want anything to stop me.

'And then recently, I had a meeting with the women’s [team], and they’ve been very positive about moving from the men’s board to the women’s board, which is amazing. It’s something I guess no one’s ever done.'

Now a woman: Andreja (pictured this month) has been working as both a male and a female model in Europe, but in America, which she describes as less 'progressive,' she has been on her agency's men's board

Making moves: '[My agency] has been very positive about moving from the men's board to the women's board. It's something I guess no one's ever done,' Andreji says, pictured in 2012 (left) and in 2013 (right)

It is unclear whether or not Andreja plans to have breast surgery, but for the stunning six-foot-one blonde, her sexual reassignment surgery marks a major milestone is leaving all traces of manhood behind.

'I felt like my options were either to be a gay boy or a straight boy. I didn’t feel that I was gay'

The only time in her life when she embraced being male, she says, was in her pre-teens.

'I went on sort of a boyhood campaign from age nine to about 13. I felt like my options were either to be a gay boy or a straight boy.

'I didn’t feel that I was gay, so I didn’t know that there were any other options until the age of 13, when I went online and discovered that there’s a whole community of trans people out there.'

Chameleon: It is unclear whether the stunning six-foot-one blonde (left and right) plans to have breast surgery as part of her transformation

High fashion: In 2011, Andreja walked the runway during the Jean-Paul Gaultier women's show as part of the Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week Spring/Summer show (pictured)

Despite her roaring success in the fashion industry thus far - she credits designer Jean Paul Gaultier, photographer Juergen Teller, and former French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld as being particularly supportive - Andreja says she still faces 'roadblocks' as a transgender model.

'Particularly when working with cosmetic brands or perfumes or those sort of commercial, corporate things,' she reveals. 'It’s been more difficult. They don’t have any market research, and people in that world aren’t risk takers.

'You have to prove to them over and over that you are liked by people, you have a skill, and you can sell a product.'

The big reveal: Andreja posted this selfie on Facebook last week with a message to her fans: 'I hope to show that after transition (a life-saving process) one can be happy and successful in their new chapter'

It's not a problem, however, that she is facing with Hollywood. Andreja has just bagged herself a role in director Sofia Coppola's upcoming film adaption of The Little Mermaid, playing one of the lead character's sisters.

For the model and now actress, who says she is currently single but 'open to love,' her message to fans is simple.

In a statement she posted to Facebook last week when she first broke the news, she wrote: 'As a transgender woman, I hope to show that after transition (a life-saving process) one can be happy and successful in their new chapter.'

Read more:

Transgender model Andreja Pejic on finally leaving manhood behind | Mail Online

Whoa! I have never heard of her. I tried to find pictures of her in the past,....I would have never known she was a man in the past. She is beautiful.
    Last edited by JadeStar70; July 29th, 2014 at 05:01 PM.

She has always been very beautiful imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

She is beautiful.

A*O

Growing up in rough, tough Broadmeadows would have been complete hell for her. It's a very "multicultural" community and not in a good way. I'm glad she was able to escape.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Thread Information