• 2 Post By BITTER
  • 1 Post By faithanne
  • 3 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By SoCalMarie
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 2 Post By faithanne
  • 2 Post By Susan jones
  • 1 Post By Just Kill Me

Thread: Linda Perry on Beyonce's song writing 'skills' - "She's talented in a different way"

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Default Linda Perry on Beyonce's song writing 'skills' - "She's talented in a different way"

'She's talented in a different way': Linda Perry hits out at Beyoncé's songwriting skills... despite never working with her

Songwriter Linda Perry has written huge hits for the likes of Christina Aguilera, P!nk and Celine Dion.
    But never for Beyoncé Knowles.
    However, the former 4 Non Blondes frontwoman has taken aim at the Single Ladies singer over her songwriting skills, and popstars in general, in an interview with Reddit.

Promoting her new VH1 show The Linda Perry Project, the 49-year-old was asked how she felt about 'Beyonce changing one word on a song and getting writing credit'.
    'Well hahaha um thats not songwriting,' Linda wrote on the website.
    She added: 'but some of these artists believe if it wasnt for them your song would never get out there so they take a cut just because they are who they are.'

'but everyone knows the real truth even Beyonce. She is talented but in a completely different way.'
    It is not clear what song in particular Linda is referring to, as Beyonce has been largely credited as a writer on most of her back catalogue, including her songs with Destiny's Child.
    It is known in the pop world that when songs are given to artists, often the artist will change or adapt the lyrics or melody to their liking, and receive a writing credit.
    This will also mean that the artist gets royalties from the song.

Read more: Beyonce criticised by Linda Perry for her songwriting skills | Mail Online

I looked up Linda Perry's writing/producing credits - that's quite an extensive resume!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

She's right.
    Kittylady, BITTER, rollo and 1 others like this.

Truth.
    It kills me that Team Beonstage and others get away with this.
    Kittylady and arie_skop like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

As with P Shitty. He suggests a cymbal to be played in the background, then demands production credit, or some bullshit like that. Partly the reason why he's so hated in the industry.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, you can't "demand" a writing credit unless the songwriter agrees. If she doesn't want artists doing this (and most pop tartlets do because songwriting is more lucrative than recording or touring) then she could just say no. If it's a cover (ie already been recorded and released by someone else) you can't just change the lyrics without permission.
    Novice likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Unless things have changed in the last few years, you can't "demand" a writing credit unless the songwriter agrees. If she doesn't want artists doing this (and most pop tartlets do because songwriting is more lucrative than recording or touring) then she could just say no. If it's a cover (ie already been recorded and released by someone else) you can't just change the lyrics without permission.
    But if said artist is a success and can get the songwriter exposure and steady work, I'm wondering if it is hard for some of them to say no, even if they have to share royalties.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

i can't stand beyonce and i fucking hate pretty much every song linda perry has ever written but she's right.
    BelledeJour, BITTER and Air Quotes like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, Linda is pretty much confirming what my friend experienced (and what the people in the industry already knew)...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post

I have a little story about Bey (nothing shocking though):
    A friend of mine is a songwriter/musician. This person wrote a full/finished song (both the lyrics and the music for the lyrics). Bey bought the song from this person, changed literally 2 words within the song - "was" and "the" - and because she changed those 2 words, Bey took a writing credit - and therefore will be able to make money off the song in the future.
    I know the song, it actually made one of her albums, and was made a single with a video. And I know how much my friend was paid.
    They got paid pretty well for the song, but not as much as Bey is going to make off of it/has made off of it....

Since then, I feel like that's how Bey (for the most part) operates (and quite possibly most of the industry) - claims other people's work as hers for her benefit, and her benefit only. She is regarded as this sort of genius/"royal" of the industry, but in reality, she's just another selfish person, taking credit for something she didn't do.
    Belt Up likes this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

The song writer didn't have to "sell" the song & relinquish all royalties to it. Their choice.
    SoCalMarie likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    The song writer didn't have to "sell" the song & relinquish all royalties to it. Their choice.
    Totally agree.
    I just love Linda's response to the interviewer's question. Blunt and honest.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

One of our former clients (singer/songwriter) was all set to write with Linda Perry but she charged $50K just to walk in the door, whether or not they wrote anything worthwhile, plus of course she would get royalties from any songs they did write. It's a bit hard to feel sympathy for someone whose day rate is slightly less than my annual net salary.
    Novice and SoCalMarie like this.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    One of our former clients (singer/songwriter) was all set to write with Linda Perry but she charged $50K just to walk in the door, whether or not they wrote anything worthwhile, plus of course she would get royalties from any songs they did write. It's a bit hard to feel sympathy for someone whose day rate is slightly less than my annual net salary.
    She's not looking for sympathy - just being honest about how the music biz works for those with mega power vs normals.
    And she's a proven professional hit-maker. Of course her day rate is high!
    SoCalMarie and BITTER like this.

ShibaJonz

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Linda Perry is a songwriting success story but a ton of writers are not there and they do have to put up with a fuckton of bullshit in the hopes to get more of their work out there.
    SoCalMarie likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

But the flip side is that if the singer doesn't get a cut of the songwriting they could make nothing, even if the song sells millions. I agree it's different for the mega powerfuls v normals, but Linda is in the first category. And the singer is the one out there promoting it, doing tours etc so if they're doing all the work to make the songwriter money, I don't have a problem with them taking a cut (and it's usually a tiny amount - Britney got only a few percent from those songs she "wrote" with that Swedish producer guy whose name escapes me).

Thread Information