Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Justin Theroux: ‘Sandals really bum me out…also sweatpants are disgusting’

Default Justin Theroux: ‘Sandals really bum me out…also sweatpants are disgusting’

He comes from a family of writers: “I’m not like those guys. They’re real writers. They write books. If I had to write long-form stuff with descriptions of rooms, it would be so boring for me. I like writing dialogue and jokes and situational stuff.”

Deciding to move to NYC:
    “I think it was probably Flashdance [1983], which I later found out was actually set in Pittsburgh. I just saw big lofts and raw spaces and I was like, “F–k! That would be amazing to live there.” But I always had it in my head that New York was where I wanted to go. I don’t know why. I started coming here in my teen years. In school, I would sometimes come here on my vacations.”

He does drama & comedy:
    “I always did, like, a mix. I didn’t have a lot of ambition, which I think was a good thing. I mean, I was ambitious about quality, but I wasn’t ambitious in the “I’ve got to get a pilot!” way. I never went out to L.A. for pilot season. Maybe I should’ve been more ambitious, but it just didn’t make me happy. I did a TV show [The District] for a while and I was miserable.”

What annoys him:
    “Sandals really bum me out. I don’t want to see feet. A strapless shoe can look sexy on a girl, but anything that exposes a man’s feet is … Also sweatpants are disgusting. Slow walkers I don’t like.”

What he loves about LA:
    “I like all the clichés. I mean, I love someone who lives in Los Angeles—so that’s a big draw. But I love the weather. It does feel like a slightly healthier lifestyle, being able to hike and do all that crap.”

Living in NYC half the year:
    “In New York, you can bump into someone on the street and go to a thing, go get coffee real quick. You can get stuff done in New York that you can’t in Los Angeles. If you wanted to get some milk and get your shoes repaired and drop something off at the dry cleaner, that’s an all-day adventure in Los Angeles. In New York, you can bang that out in half an hour… I love New York. Right now, it’s kind of perfect. I’m in New York part of the time and in L.A. part of the time. That’s always been a goal, to be bicoastal in a real way. The show is on a limited schedule. It’s not like a network show, where they nail your foot to the floor for the entire year. I’m writing during my long hiatuses and developing other stuff. It’s a perfect fit. For someone who is scatterbrained like me, it’s nice.”

He used to be a bartender in NYC: “Yeah, I still take credit for the idea of selling cheap beer for lots of money. It was a whim. I was like, ‘Wouldn’t it be funny to sell Schlitz and Pabst Blue Ribbon up there with all the great wheat beers?’ We added every horrible beer we could think of and charged four bucks for them. Those beers ended up outselling Chimay, everything. So that might’ve been me that started that and gave everyone the squirts. You’re welcome, Pabst.”

Nostalgia: “I’ve never been particularly nostalgic. I’m not sure whether nostalgia is a weakness or a strength. I lean toward weakness, because it takes you out of experiencing what’s cool if you’re constantly the guy who’s like, ‘Oh, this place used to be amazing, and now it’s s–t.’ Because that’s not true. It’s the same reason I don’t keep pictures of friends and family around. I don’t need to be reminded that I have friends and family.”

He’s a little bit ADD:
    “It’s only one
    lifetime that you have. So you have to, in a weird way, keep pivoting on whatever it is you’re doing. Follow whatever it is that’s keeping your interest. I’m sure if everything else went away and I picked up a sketchbook again, it’d rekindle something. I think I’m a little bit—I don’t want to say A.D.D., I don’t think I’m that, but I can get bored with something quickly.”

Garbage-picker: “I used to garbage-pick. It sounds much more disgusting than it is. You learn a lot about society by seeing what’s thrown away. During the period I was doing that, a lot of great stuff was being tossed. What do they call that now, ‘Ironweed chic’? Edison bulbs and all that s–t. This was stuff I was finding for free 15, 20 years ago.”

He’s not the leading man action hero:
    “There are certain actors who can grab a woman by the back
    of her hair and plant a deep one on her and say something like ‘We gotta save the world,’ and that’s not me. I can’t not be outside of my body, making jokes about that dialogue. Some people do it really well and effectively because they have the charisma to pull that off. I just know that I don’t.”

Falling in love with Jennifer Aniston & dealing with the paps:
    “It doesn’t feel like a hardship, it doesn’t feel difficult. It can be an annoyance, but it’s not the end of the world. You have to center on what its core thing is, which is that you met someone you fell in love with. It’s hard to explain. I just find myself wondering, What’s the big f–king deal?”

The tabloids:
    “It’s always based in fiction,” he says, citing the awkwardness of being congratulated by a Leftovers crew member on the twins that one of the tabloids had announced Aniston was expecting. “You just kind of ignore it, but then you also become reluctant to say anything about the relationship
    . I could say everything’s good, and then it’s reflected back as JUSTIN THEROUX: EVERYTHING’S GOOD? That just creates this echo chamber, and as it ricochets around the Internet, it just gets wacky.”

[From Interview]
    [From Details]

Cele|bitchy | Justin Theroux: ‘Sandals really bum me out…also sweatpants are disgusting’
    KrisNine likes this.

Someone throw stones at it until it runs away.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Still a douche but now with extra stinky feet.
    Brando, BITTER and SoCalMarie like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Oh my gosh. He analyses himself a lot, doesn't he?

He's deep isn't he?

Well, I do pretty much agree with him about men and sandals.

Also, re himself and Aniston:

I just find myself wondering, What’s the big f–king deal?”

Agree with that too.
    rockchick and SoCalMarie like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

He comes off as a not that bright man struggling hard to keep up the appearance of a very intellectual man.
    rollo, Jazzy, stef and 3 others like this.

He's hot.

And I'll bet Sput would still do him...
    KrisNine and sputnik like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    She'd have to haul my carcass off him first
    KrisNine, Jazzy, sputnik and 4 others like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I find him really annoying and pompous. Will he ever marry whosit, doubt it
    Brando and rollo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Someone throw stones at it until it runs away.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    She'd have to haul my carcass off him first
    I'll be elbowing Sput and Belt to get to the front of the line.
    I wouldn't kick in out of bed in the morning..... but after reading this interview, I definitely wouldn't let him speak.

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Silver Member

i actually didn't care for him until reading this:

"Nostalgia: “I’ve never been particularly nostalgic. I’m not sure whether nostalgia is a weakness or a strength. I lean toward weakness, because it takes you out of experiencing what’s cool if you’re constantly the guy who’s like, ‘Oh, this place used to be amazing, and now it’s s–t.’ Because that’s not true. It’s the same reason I don’t keep pictures of friends and family around. I don’t need to be reminded that I have friends and family.”

that is me. i totally get that. i also think the cheap beer thing is funny. i doubt he "invented" the idea but still funny.

^ You look like a brunette Amanda Bynes in that pic.
    Air Quotes likes this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information