• 1 Post By rollo
  • 1 Post By mostroop
  • 1 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 1 Post By sluce
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett

Thread: Brad Pitt/Make It Right American Indian homes

Default Brad Pitt/Make It Right American Indian homes

Jaw-Dropping What Brad Pitt Is Doing on American Indian Reservations

Brad Pitt has been partnering with Fort Peck, Montana Sioux and Assiniboine nation tribes to build 20 super green homes for residents whose income levels are at or below 60 percent the area’s mean income, with a percentage of the homes reserved for seniors and disabled veterans.
    More Than Talented Pretty Face Celebrity
    When Pitt isn’t jet-setting to movie locations and being a father of six (three biological and three adopted), he’s running a non-profit, Make It Right.
    His organization has been most notable for building 150 sustainable homes in Louisiana’s Lower Ninth Ward post-Hurricane Katrina.
    “We hear stories from people who have nine families living in a five bedroom home and take ‘sleeping shifts’ to share the limited beds,” writes Make It Right communications director Taylor Royle. “Most homes are smaller, one or two bedrooms. We [met] a woman who shares a two-bedroom home with her elderly mother and her brother’s family—she and her three children sleep on the floor in the living room.”
    Now, through a Low Income Housing Tax Credit Rent-to-Own program, residents in his Make It Right American Indian homes will be able buy their new green homes after 15 years of renting.

“These LEED Platinum, solar-powered homes will have three or four bedrooms and two or three bathrooms each, and built with certified Cradle-to-Cradle vendors, which means they’re developed responsibly and use reclaimed materials,” reports NationSwell. “It’s certainly a big improvement from some of the current homes on the reservation, which are rife with black mold and structural problems, resulting in high utility bills due to inefficient design.”
    Using participatory democracy principles, Pitt’s organization organizers met with families and community leaders about their needs and their vision for their new homes, and how the builders can preserve the culture of the Assiniboine and Sioux tribes, such as doorways facing east or north and using tribally significant colors.

“We are enthusiastic about these home designs that reflect traditional life ways while exemplifying deep green public-impact architecture,” said Architecture for Humanity architect Nathaniel Corum.
    Fort Deck, America’s ninth-largest Native American reservation, has over 6,000 tribal members living on the 2-million-acre reservation. Over 600 people are waiting for housing. That means overcrowding is all too common.
    The Washington Post has reported unemployment is over 50 percent on the reservations, with approximately three out of every four children live in poverty, and the cycle of abuse imposed on the First Nation Peoples includes widespread problems with alcohol and methamphetamines exist in the communities there.

Make it Right donors are giving people a safe place to live, promote sustainable living and solar energy, and help those in need of reconstruction after natural disaster. Some options of donation are green gifts which include: solar panels, paint, native plants, Energy Star appliances, and more.
    Average energy bills have decreased for the homeowners because of the green technology installed in the Make it Right homes. At first, te homes were only available to peopl whose homes were leveled from Hurricane Katrina but now, the green homes are accessible to teachers and first responders.
    Lower Nine residents are still eligible and but the program is extending the offer of housing to others.
    [read full post here]
    Brookie and Honeythorn like this.

It's a start. Good for him.
    CL** likes this.

Good on him.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I like him. I can't speak about his morals regarding fidelity, or his showering habits, but I love that he gives back.
    Alysheba likes this.

LEED platinum-certified buildings are amazing in how they use materials and save on energy. Made from reclaimed materials, how they save water and electricity, etc. is becoming huge in commercial buildings. To do it in residential requires a lot of forward thinking.

Applause.

That is fantastic! Hopefully, he'll try to help other reservations as well. One of hub's friends is from Pine Ridge and the poverty there is just mind-boggling.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

ITA^^. One of the most difficult experiences of my life was going on a reservation and seeing the poverty. It broke my heart.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Agreed, Pine Ridge is heartbreaking and just the tip of the iceberg.

So, good for Brad (for once lol) and I wish he'd actually do more to publicize this and get as much big $ as possible behind it.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

^^ I think he tends to do a lot of this quietly.

Uhhh, just thinking of Pine Ridge...my heart aches and I have a lump in my throat.

Good job, Bradley.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I have a big for Brad Pitt, no matter what he smells like. He was nice to me when we met - plus he was Tristan in Legends of the Fall!!!!!!!

Thread Information