Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Gary Oldman defends Alec Baldwin & Mel Gibson: ‘We’ve all said those things’

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Gary Oldman defends Alec Baldwin & Mel Gibson: ‘We’ve all said those things’

Playboy hasn’t released their interview with Gary Oldman yet, but it’s going to be very interesting to see the blowback when they do. For now, The Daily Mail has some quotes from the piece and… well, Gary sort of went off. I thought Gary had mellowed out over the past decade, and he was no longer the angry, aggressive man he was in his 20s (and 30s). But Gary can still get angry. And obscene. And he defends his abuser/bigot friends passionately. Some highlights from his Playboy interview, via The Mail:

On Mel Gibson’s anti-Semitic rants: ‘I just think political correctness is c**p. That’s what I think about it. I think it’s like, take a f***ing joke. Get over it. I don’t know about Mel. He got drunk and said a few things, but we’ve all said those things. We’re all f***ing hypocrites. That’s what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n***** or that f***ing Jew? I’m being brutally honest here. It’s the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy. Or maybe I should just strike that and say “the N word” and “the F word,” although there are two F words now.’

On Alec Baldwin’s homophobic slurs: ‘Alec calling someone an F-A-G in the street while he’s pissed off coming out of his building because they won’t leave him alone. I don’t blame him. So they persecute. Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him – and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough. He’s like an outcast, a leper, you know? But some Jewish guy in his office somewhere hasn’t turned and said, “That f***ing kraut” or “F*** those Germans,” whatever it is? We all hide and try to be so politically correct. That’s what gets me. It’s just the sheer hypocrisy of everyone, that we all stand on this thing going, “Isn’t that shocking?”’

Gary says he’s ‘not a bigot.’ ‘No, but I’m defending all the wrong people. I’m saying Mel’s all right, Alec’s a good guy. So how do I come across? Angry? It’s dishonesty that frustrates me most. I can’t bear double standards. It gets under my skin more than anything.’

Satire/free speech: ‘Well, if I called Nancy Pelosi a c*** — and I’ll go one better, a f***ing useless c**— I can’t really say that. But Bill Maherand Jon Stewart can, and nobody’s going to stop them from working because of it. Bill Maher could call someone a fag and get away with it. He said to Seth MacFarlane this year, “I thought you were going to do the Oscars again. Instead they got a lesbian.” He can say something like that. Is that more or less offensive than Alec Baldwin saying to someone in the street, “You fag”? I don’t get it.’

12 Years a Slave & the Academy: ‘At the Oscars, if you didn’t vote for 12 Years a Slave you were a racist. You have to be very careful about what you say. I do have particular views and opinions that most of this town doesn’t share, but it’s not like I’m a fascist or a racist. There’s nothing like that in my history[.’

[From The Daily Mail]

For the love of
    God, Gary. You are really going to get THIS frustrated and angry about people being horrified that Mel Gibson is an anti-Semitic racist and violent misogynist? You’re really going to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Alec Baldwin because he has the “right” to call people f-gs? If we’re making this into a free speech issue – which I guess is part of Gary’s argument? – Mel and Alec can say whatever they want. And we can call them bigots and homophobes and woman-beaters because that’s free speech too. But I think Gary’s point is that we’re all hypocrites and we should all just get over it? Er. Well, no. Anyway… have at it.

Cele|bitchy | Gary Oldman defends Alec Baldwin & Mel Gibson: ‘We’ve all said those things’

"We've all said those things.".

Have we?
    Because I certainly don't remember having said anything like that.

And I've seen plenty of people on this board who are bright enough to sling insults that are bright and witty. Intelligent people don't need to go low brow or bigoted when angered or annoyed.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

^^^^
    for them it will be the f word and the n word. i've found myself calling people 'fucking whore' or 'fat bitch' or 'cocksucking slut', even though the feminist in me is completely against slut shaming. but i've said it in the heat of the moment. i think his point is that a lot of it is political correctness gone mad, when the same people shunning mel gibson or alec baldwin have done worse and that you can't base your opinion of someone based solely on their choice of insult when angry/drunk/fucked up.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah but he's saying "can't they take a joke?" when in neither case (Mel or Alec) were they joking.
    Angeli, Callalily, dowcat and 1 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

We've all said those things.
    Um, no, we haven't.
    Angeli, snoopqueen, Sarzy and 5 others like this.

Silver Member

^Cosign

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Yeah but he's saying "can't they take a joke?" when in neither case (Mel or Alec) were they joking.

i think mel probably is antisemitic and in general kind of a reactionary dick. and there's physical evidence that he's a dick too.

and i don't doubt he meant some of those things. but in the case of alec baldwin, i don't know. what's the most common form of insult among guys? i grew up with 3 brothers and all their friends and what do guys grow up calling each other when they get pissed off? fag. pussy. cocksucker. guys talking among themselves can say some of the most over the top rude, vulgar, shit out there. most of it revolving around fucking and other bodily functions. i can totally understand that coming out of the mouth of even the most progressive guy because that's what guys grow up saying among themselves until they sometimes grow out of it. even more if they're older and grew up in pre-PC days and obviously has anger management issues like baldwin. doesn't mean he's homophobic.

i just don't think that whoever you are in an angry or drunken rage is necessarily the real you. not in every case, anyway.
    KrisNine and darksithbunny like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i just don't think that whoever you are in an angry or drunken rage is necessarily the real you. not in every case, anyway.
    I get what you're saying but it doesn't mean it's ok for them, just because that's the way things used to be in the bad old days. And I tend to think the real you is more likely to come out when you're in a drunken rage if you lose your inhibitions and the ability to filter yourself. If I say something stupid and hurtful when I'm drunk I would feel ashamed, not go on the defensive.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^^
    i'm not saying it's ok, i'm saying that calling someone a faggot in a fit of anti-paparazzi rage isn't necessarily evidence of homophobia, just that you're the product of a society where men are taught from a young age (less so now) that being gay or feminine is a weakness and all their insults center around that, and it's something they (hopefully) grow out of but there can be some of that conditioning left, and it can still come out, for instance when a paparazzi is harassing them.

and people should stop pretending things are so black and white.

He's probably right about the police saying those slurs. I've heard that shit with my own ears. Not saying him taking up for Mel or Alec is ok--but he's right about the cops. LOTS of them.
    snoopqueen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think mel probably is antisemitic and in general kind of a reactionary dick. and there's physical evidence that he's a dick too.

and i don't doubt he meant some of those things. but in the case of alec baldwin, i don't know. what's the most common form of insult among guys? i grew up with 3 brothers and all their friends and what do guys grow up calling each other when they get pissed off? fag. pussy. cocksucker. guys talking among themselves can say some of the most over the top rude, vulgar, shit out there. most of it revolving around fucking and other bodily functions. i can totally understand that coming out of the mouth of even the most progressive guy because that's what guys grow up saying among themselves until they sometimes grow out of it. even more if they're older and grew up in pre-PC days and obviously has anger management issues like baldwin. doesn't mean he's homophobic.

I agree, I think Mel is probably an anti-Semite based on his upbringing and his father.

And, while I'm certainly not saying this is right, I remember growing up where the ultimate insult kids/teens/adults, especially guys, hurled at each other was fag or retard. They certainly didn't say those things as a homophobic slur or a slur against a person that is mentally challenged. Hell, I remember calling people retard. People also used to say things like "that's gay" when they meant something was lame. Of course, there was a time where it was basically perfectly acceptable for people to use the N word when speaking to or about a black person, but that was meant as a slur. That was never a term that was used jokingly.

Wtf? I only got through the first three questions. Fuck off asshole. No one has ever heard me use a racial slur because I've never used one.
    fuzuoko likes this.

I’m saying Mel’s all right, Alec’s a good guy. So how do I come across? Angry?
    No Gary, if anything you come across as an entitled little shit.
    (And possibly a little senile?)
    fuzuoko and chartreuse like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    No Gary, if anything you come across as an entitled little shit.
    Exactly! An entitled shit, who's never been on the receiving end of a racial/sexual/religious slur.
    He's right that many people, incl. police officers use these slurs, but not everyone (*cough* white, straight, rich men *cough*) has to hear them on a regular basis.
    So he's not really in a position to tell people to "take a joke", when he's not been in their situation.
    fuzuoko, GRuser1 and chartreuse like this.

thanks for killing my lady boner, gary.
    fuzuoko, GRuser1, Liza and 2 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information