Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Aaliyah's family blast plans to make a Lifetime biopic about her

Default Aaliyah's family blast plans to make a Lifetime biopic about her

Aaliyah's family blast plans for Lifetime biopic of the tragic singer with Zendaya in the lead role and vow to stop it being made

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
    PUBLISHED: 15:11, 18 June 2014 | UPDATED: 15:13, 18 June 2014

Aaliyah's family members are furious about Lifetime's upcoming biopic starring Zendaya.

Us Weekly reported earlier this week that the 17-year-old star has been as the tragic singer who died at the age of 22 in an August 2001 plane crash in the Bahamas but Aaliyah's uncle and former manager, Benny Hankerson, told TMZ that he will do everything he can to stop it.

Mr Hankerson told the website that the family have not been contacted about the movie, will not allow Aaliyah's music to be used and have hired a lawyer to stop the biopic being made.

+4

+4

Hitting out: The family of Aaliyah [R] have hit out at plans to make a Lifetime biopic on the tragic star's life starring Zendaya, (L)

Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B is a made-for-TV movie that will tell the story of the late singer's life and death.
    While the singer's family don't want the Lifetime movie made, they would be happy with a big screen biopic as they feel it is fitting for a star of her stature, according to TMZ.
    The project is based off the bestselling book Aaliyah: More Than A Woman, which chronicled her life from her debut on Star Search to her successful music and acting career and untimely death.
    The news that Aaliyah's family wants to block the movie and prevent filmmakers from using any of the tragic star's music is sure to be worrisome for Zendaya, who in addition to immersing herself in the role of the Try Again hitmaker, is set to record four of Aaliyah's songs.

+4

Tragedy: Aaliyah died in an August 2001 plane crash in the Bahamas at the age of 22

Before Aaliyah's family spoke out against the movie, the young star took to Twitter to express her gratitude for being cast in the film through a series of posts to her 4.48million followers.

The former Dancing With The Stars contestant began: 'She's been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter then ever, all I wanna do is honor her.

'Show how much she accomplished in only 22 years....she's beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven #babygirl #forever #OneInAMillion.'
    The Lifetime movie will be directed by Bradley Walsh, known for his work on TV movie Turn The Beat Around, and is written by Brown Sugar screenwriter Michael Elliot.

Aaliyah: Princess Of R&B is scheduled to film this summer and premiere in the fall.

+4

'She's been an inspiration': The former Dancing With The Stars seems to be quite pleased with her casting in the project as she tweeted 'I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud'

Read more: Aaliyah's family blast plans for Lifetime biopic of the tragic singer with Zendaya in the lead role | Mail Online

Oh hush.. Whitney is getting a Lifetime movie!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Zendaya is getting a ton of heat about this casting - there's a petition to get her removed. She's a beautiful girl, but I'm not sure I think this is a good idea, and not because she doesn't look like Aaliyah or have Aaliyah's vibe - which she doesn't - but because the Haughton family is so against it. Also, if they can't use Aaliyah's music, that's a problem.

Either way, I bet Keshia Chante is some kinda pissed off wherever she is. She's lobbied for this role like this was the last one on earth for YEARS.
    CL** likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Did Aaliyah write her own songs? Because if she didn't, there's nothing her family can do to stop anyone re-recording them. It's only if she wrote them that they can refuse to allow the songs to be used.
    snoopqueen likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Did Aaliyah write her own songs? Because if she didn't, there's nothing her family can do to stop anyone re-recording them. It's only if she wrote them that they can refuse to allow the songs to be used.
    There has been an on-going legal battle about who owns the rights to her music for years. It was still in court last I heard.

To answer your question, though - no, she didn't write her music. Her most famous songs were mostly written by her ex-husband, R. Kelly (), Missy Elliott, and Timbaland.
    snoopqueen likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I was just going to type this. If she doesn't own the songs, all the family can do is make sure they don't use her original recordings of the songs.
    faithanne likes this.

I though Aaliyah sucked and Lifetime movies are gold so bring it on.
    chartreuse and Mrs P like this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I would boycott Lifetime making a biopic about anyone period - just because the script and production value of their movies are horrible.

It sounds as though Aaliyah's family wants to involved in (as they should be) the production of this movie (or anything with Aaliyah's name attached), and that's what they're most upset about - this is being produced without the family "ok-ing" what's being done/how her story is told.

For the casting choice, I don't see what the big uproar is about. Zendaya is cute, seems like a sweet girl, and is talented. She doesn't have a bad reputation, no scandals of note... She not Aaliyah's twin facially, but I'm sure (good) hair, makeup, and lighting tricks could help that.
    She does dance, sing, and her body type is very similar to Aaliyah's.

But then again, Lifetime has made a few questionable casting choices in the past...

dksnj, BITTER and CL** like this.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    For the casting choice, I don't see what the big uproar is about. Zendaya is cute, seems like a sweet girl, and is talented. She doesn't have a bad reputation, no scandals of note...
    If you want to see some craziness, Google info about her and Val Chmerkovskiy. He was her pro partner when she was on Dancing with the Stars last year when she was 16 and he was 27. There are a lot of people out there who think there was and is something going on there à la R. and Aaliyah. I'm not sure I buy into all that, but some of it does give you pause. He went on a tiny rant on Twitter today about her catching shit about this casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    If you want to see some craziness, Google info about her and Val Chmerkovskiy. He was her pro partner when she was on Dancing with the Stars last year when she was 16 and he was 27. There are a lot of people out there who think there was and is something going on there à la R. and Aaliyah. I'm not sure I buy into all that, but some of it does give you pause. He went on a tiny rant on Twitter today about her catching shit about this casting.
    Esssh...I didn't know about all of that. Yeah, that's definitely icky.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    Esssh...I didn't know about all of that. Yeah, that's definitely icky.
    I don't know if it's true, but there's some smoke there. I remember that there was a blind item that came out a couple of months back that was thought to be about them:

Blind Item #8

This still underage tweener who was A list while her show was on the air and had a recent run on a network reality show was crushed when the B list reality star she lost her virginity to dumped her. Well, he didn't so much dump her as she caught him making out with a former B list mostly television actress from a long running hit network show.

Popular Guess: Zendaya, Val Chmerkovskiy and Danica
    The thread it came from: CDAN April 04th 2014 - Four For Friday

Hell I'd be against that little twat's casting too. It's almost as bad as that Shailene bitch thinking she can play Stevie Nicks. Bitch please. I think Aaliyah's family is just worried about their daughter's image which wasn't that squeaky clean in real life. Death sure makes saints.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Silver Member

I thought Lilo was lobbying for Stevie Nicks. Stevie nipped that in the bud with a beautiful burn.

Aliyah's family might be overreacting a bit. Honestly this was so 10 years ago it will help generate renewed interest in her and perhaps to a younger generation since it will be and is in the news.

Maybe her parents shouldn't have let her have a relationship and marry R. Kelly when she was under age, just sayin' ...

^^ they didn't let her!! They were on your and he took her to a shady chapel lied about her age and got married!!! When her family found out they had it annulled. Also Rapist Kelly was fired!!
    snoopqueen likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Silver Member

^Thanks for disabusing me of that misinformaion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information