Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Keira Knightley claims she gives herself a $50,000 yearly ‘salary’ to keep it real

fgg

Default Keira Knightley claims she gives herself a $50,000 yearly ‘salary’ to keep it real

Keira Knightley claims she gives herself a $50,000 yearly ‘salary’ to keep it real

I covered some of the early excerpts from Keira Knightley’s Glamour cover story a few days ago, but Glamour released some new quotes and I wanted to cover them. Keira has been a working actress for something like 12 years. She’s been a full-fledged movie star, with a movie star paycheck, for about 9 or 10 years. I’m sure she has quite a bit of money stocked away, probably something over $20 million and less than $50 million. Besides the fact that she’s one of the most in-demand young actresses out there and getting paid as such, she’s also taken lucrative modeling contracts, for Chanel and the jewelry firm Asprey, amongst others. What I’m saying is that Keira is rich. And to her credit, she doesn’t seem to live a very extravagant lifestyle. But are these quotes patronizing?

GLAMOUR: It was reported recently that you allotted yourself a “salary” of only about $50,000 in 2012. True?
    KK: Yes, it’s something around that. I mean, if I want or need something that goes over that, I get it, but, yes, around that.

GLAMOUR: Forgive me for sounding crass, but it seems awfully little for a household-name Hollywood star!
    KK: I think living an [expensive] lifestyle means you can’t hang out with people who don’t live that lifestyle. It alienates you. Some of my best, most hilarious times have been in the least luxurious places.

[From Glamour]

Yeah… I mean, I understand what she’s trying to say, but I’ve known wealthy people like that, who like the idea of “slumming it” and pretending like they were keeping to a budget, and they drive off in their Mercedes S-Class to go back to their mansion. Those people are annoying. Again, I can understand the idea of not wanting to be materialistic, not wanting to flaunt your enormous wealth, but it seems like Keira is patronizing people who actually live on less than $50,000 a year (which, statistically, is most of us).

Keira also says that she didn’t change her name privately to Keira Righton (“I found I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t go there. Yet.”) and that her parents didn’t even understand why she and James bothered to get married.

Cele|bitchy | Keira Knightley claims she gives herself a $50,000 yearly ‘salary’ to keep it real
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I doubt she has a ton of money. She mainly does period pieces and independent films based in Britain that don't pay very much. She doesn't have a big franchise like The Avengers or a TV show. Her modeling contracts probably give her most of her cash but not in the $20 million range. Living off of $50,000 a year is probably realistic.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

"Yes, it’s something around that. I mean, if I want or need something that goes over that, I get it, but, yes, around that."

Which, to me, throws most of her point off.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    I doubt she has a ton of money. She mainly does period pieces and independent films based in Britain that don't pay very much. She doesn't have a big franchise like The Avengers or a TV show. Her modeling contracts probably give her most of her cash but not in the $20 million range. Living off of $50,000 a year is probably realistic.
    Celebrity Net Worth has her estimated at $50M, although I am not sure how accurate that is. And she does have the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I don't see anything wrong with her giving herself and 'allowance' to live off. But when you have millions in the back to fall back on, then eh.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Horse shit! HORSE SHIT! You smell of it talkin so much shit.
    rollo likes this.

Regular every day folks aren't wearing Chanel loaned to them by the design house every time they leave home. If she had to pay for her own clothes, I doubt she could make just her wardrobe work on $50k - nevermind anything else - so she can sit down with that "I'm keeping it real" nonsense.
    Last edited by Laurent; June 13th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
    kersalli and holly like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It seems like a reasonable approach, if true. With that kind of work, she has no idea how long she will be marketable and there are so many tales of people becoming rich and blowing it all. I can totally see having a base budget and then adding a few frivolous bits.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Seems somewhat normal. Most people, even those with money have some sort of budget. There are still bills that need to paid, even when you're rich: mortgages, costs of running a house(s), autos, food, etc.

ETA to the above- I'm assuming the $50k is her spending money, above her living costs, monthly household nut, etc.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; June 13th, 2014 at 04:05 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^Exactly what I was going to say. I'm sure housing expenses, auto payments, etc. are covered outside that 50k budget.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It sounds reasonable. I know what it's like to have rich friends who do things beyond my budget, but luckily for me they're generous so I get included some of the time. But I can't afford overseas holidays 6 times a year or spend a thousand bucks at dinner, and if Keira has regular friends I'm sure they couldn't afford to keep up with that lifestyle either.
    Novice and Bombshell like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    It sounds reasonable. I know what it's like to have rich friends who do things beyond my budget, but luckily for me they're generous so I get included some of the time. But I can't afford overseas holidays 6 times a year or spend a thousand bucks at dinner, and if Keira has regular friends I'm sure they couldn't afford to keep up with that lifestyle either.
    Yeah, exactly, and this quote: "KK: I think living an [expensive] lifestyle means you can’t hang out with people who don’t live that lifestyle. It alienates you. Some of my best, most hilarious times have been in the least luxurious places" rings true to me.

Sometimes the healthiest celebs appear to be those who've kept their old friends from before they were famous, people who liked them for themselves, not their money. If she's one of those, good for her.

I had an inheritance, once, not even anything world-shaking, just a nice surprise. After taking a trip, getting a better used car and buying a few pairs of super-nice shoes I put the rest into a retirement type account and made a minimum down payment on a small house. Thing is, though, I had to dump my boyfriend because he promptly tried to spend my money on stuff he wanted (and tried to convince me to take on a really EXPENSIVE project that was actually HIS dream, not mine.) And it was unbelievable how some supposed friends immediately began expecting me to pay for everything, buy them things etc. Money can make otherwise ordinary people act so awful. If Keira keeps herself away from that sort of problem, again, good for her.
    Linne, Trixie and Kittylady like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Elite Member

I am sure she doesn't live off the 50k a year.
    Wanting and buying something that would bust your budget proves that.
    Just say you dont live an extravagant lifestyle. To say you only give yourself a $50k a year salary is misleading, and insulting to people who are actually struggling to make a mortgage payment and monthly utility and car payments.
    Laurent likes this.

What was it that she bought?

£30k/annum, in profits or annuities is more than livable.
    As a company director, most expenses will be payable by the company as her & her talent is the major asset & income provider. Car will be a company car, property is bought as an investment & rented to the talent at a peppercorn rent, if necessary as the wellbeing of the talent/asset is paramount.
    Most travel will be work related & therefore a business expense.

But, even if her business is not set up this way, it is entirely possible to live a very good life on £30/annum in the UK. She's not living on $50k/a in SoCa.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I agree with those who assume the 50k is basically her spending money. I'm pretty sure I could live quite comfortably on that if all those pesky bills, i.e., mortgage, property taxes, car, utilities etc. were taken care of. I'm guessing her investments are paying that much, so she's living off her dividends or whatever, and good for her if that's the case. One less dumbass crying broke when they've squandered the manna from heaven they were blessed with at some point in their life.
    faithanne and Novice like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Seems her accounts could be public(-ish)..,
    A source told The Sun: 'Keira took home £20,000 in dividends from the company in 2012 and a salary of £11,000.

'Her biggest expenditure put through the books was £41,000 on security but she spent little else.

In demand: The star's company Kck Boo Ltd banked a staggering £1.5million commercial deals and film fees, such as her starring role in 2012's Anna Karenina +4
    In demand: The star's company Kck Boo Ltd banked a staggering £1.5million commercial deals and film fees, such as her starring role in 2012's Anna Karenina
    'Her travel costs were just over £4,000 and she didn’t pay for a personal trainer, despite spending almost £1,000 on one the year before. The accounts also show that she did not shell out a penny on clothes and make-up.'
    Dividends have a different tax status to salary (less tax!); security costs would have been paid by the company as "work expenses"; it's likely that with her Channel contract she gets make up comp'd or as part payment/contractual obligation and probably clothes too.

Plus, we do not know what her husband is earning/paying for.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information