Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By faithanne
  • 2 Post By sputnik
  • 5 Post By chartreuse
  • 1 Post By Tiny Pixie

Thread: Benedict Cumberbatch punches journalist to defend Keira Knightley’s honour

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Benedict Cumberbatch punches journalist to defend Keira Knightley’s honour

He is known for his prolonged and sustained disdain for the tabloid press.

But Benedict Cumberbatch took his dislike of one journalist’s comment to friend Keira Knightley to a new level when he turned round and punched him in the face.

The reporter had apparently said something rude to the actress.

Speaking about the incident to Elle magazine, Knightley recalled: "When I saw him [Benedict] again, I said, 'Did you punch a journalist?' and he was like, 'I f***ing did.' Everybody needs a friend like that."

And she’ll most likely be awarded the same level of protection as the pair take to the promotional trail for their new film, the Alan Turing biopic The Imitation Game, out on 14 November, too.

Cumberbatch – heard earlier reading the 8am news from D-Day in 1944 on BBC Radio 4 – has endured a turbulent relationship with the press over the years

Most famously, he went through a freak spate of sign-holding in protest to photographers attempting to snap him on the set of Sherlock in 2013.

"Go photograph Egypt and show the world something important," one hand-written paper note, captured by the waiting pap, read.

As if suddenly realising that using the media is a great way to get messages out to the general public, he went on a sign rampage again, this time at an airport in a vain attempt to appeal to Prime Minister David Cameron.

His messily scrawled note read: "Questions we have a right to ask in a democracy."

This one was, however, a little too cryptic to have any deep and lasting impact on the hearts and minds of the general public, who weren’t sure quite what he was referring to.

Legend has it that he was commenting on the detention of David Miranda – the partner of the Guardian journalist who broke stories of mass surveillance by the US National Security Agency – at Heathrow Airport, though no one could confirm otherwise.

So he released a four-page hand-written message to explain himself.

"Hard drives smashed, journalists detained at airports… Democracy?"

“Prior restraint. Is this the erosion of civil liberties winning the war on terror…?" the second said.

The third was largely obscured by a man’s head, but was later confirmed to read: "What do they not want you to know? And how did they get to know it? Does the exposure of their techniques cause a threat to our security or does it just cause them embarrassment...?" No idea what happened to the fourth.

In a less cerebral moment, Cumberbatch was recently seen posing with paper napkin over his face as he attempted to eat lunch with Dakota Johnson undisturbed by the waiting paparazzi: - See more at: Benedict Cumberbatch punches journalist to defend Keira Knightley’s honour - Independent.ie

He didn't punch the guy in the face. He punched him in the arm and it wasn't a big deal. The writer, Mark Kermode, talked about it on Twitter.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

What's more disturbing to me is that he was having lunch with Dakota Johnson.
    sputnik, Laurent and gas_chick like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Rather like the Egypt thing though. Thankfully he didn't tell them to go look for the Malaysian plane.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Thankfully he didn't tell them to go look for the Malaysian plane.
    i feel like that should be a thing. telling people to go look for the malaysian plane could be the new fuck off.
    Tiny Pixie and Laurent like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i <3 him. i need sherlock, season four, to start asap. i'm having withdrawals.
    dolem, GRuser1, teforde23 and 2 others like this.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

He is just really great!

I love him even more now.
    And I second Stunik's comment about the malaysian plane
    sputnik likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Thread Information