Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Novice

Thread: Jessica Alba's Company baby-wipes maker imports blocked due to contaminants in 2008\9

Default Jessica Alba's Company baby-wipes maker imports blocked due to contaminants in 2008\9

Not So Honest Company? Jessica Alba’s Baby Brand Manufactured By Chinese Company Blocked From U.S. By FDA After They Used ‘Unsafe’ ‘Drug’ In Their Wipes!

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 @ 3:00AM |

With her film career faltering, Jessica Alba has found a new career as an entrepreneur, founding the incredibly successful eco-friendly household goods retailer The Honest Company.
    But although the company has based its brand — and raked in millions — on the promise that their products are safe and ethically produced, the announcement earlier this year that the company had been outsourcing some production to China angered and scared some consumers, who claimed the overseas factories couldn’t possibly be up to the brand’s standards. And while The Honest Company execs assured the concerned parents that every effort had been taken to vet their foreign factories, RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned that at least one of them has a disturbing history of importing unsafe products that were barred by the FDA for including untested drugs!
    PHOTOS: 12 Celebrity Couples Who Have Survived Scandal
    According to U.S. Customs data reviewed by Radar, one of The Honest Company’s main suppliers is the American Hygienics Corporation located in Shanghai. As recently as May 19, 2014, Honest Company received a shipment of 10,110 cartons of wet wipes from the Chinese company. On May 18, 2014, they received 33,098 cartons of wet wipes from American Hygienics. In total, records show, Honest Company received more than 142,595 cartons of wet wipes from the Shanghai–based supplier so far this year alone, and their relationship with the company goes back to 2012, the year the company was founded.
    What The Honest Company may not know, however — and what their customers certainly don’t — is that American Hygienics has a history of being barred from importing to the U.S. after the FDA found “unsafe” and untested drugs in their wipes.
    According to an import refusal report obtained by Radar, the FDA found on April 11, 2008, that the wipes the company was trying to import into the US appeared to contain “a new animal drug which is unsafe,” and subsequently blocked the shipment.

The next year, on February 5, 2009, yet another shipment of wipes from the company was barred from the U.S. The FDA again cited the shipment as containing “a new animal drug which is unsafe.”

Though The Honest Company has never revealed this information to buyers, they hinted in a blog post last November that customers might have reason to be concerned about their decision to work with foreign manufacturers.
    In a November 2013 post entitled “Why Make Products In China?” The Honest Company wrote, “With a history of product recalls, less than optimal working conditions, and deleterious environmental impacts, China’s overall reputation in the eyes of global consumers has been less than stellar.”
    PHOTOS: I Swear I (Sort Of) Didn’t Do It! The Worst Celebrity Excuses Ever
    Still, they defended their decision to work with American Hygienics and other foreign partners, insisting, “We ask A LOT from our partners. They, like us, have to go the extra mile when it comes to safety, sustainability, labor practices and more. Our team on the ground in China is very hands-on to ensure every part of the process lives up to Honest standards . . . We wouldn’t trust any old manufacturer in China.”
    Customers, however, were suspicious of the decision and aired their displeasure in the comments section.
    “I’m pretty disappointed that you are making anything in China!” one user, Samantha, wrote. “Unless you have people over there 24/7 monitoring the facilities and testing every batch of wipes or whatever, then all this is just talk and I’m not sure it’s safe. Come on, the wipes!? They taint baby formula and now you are going to trust them to make other baby products? Maybe your standards aren’t as high as I thought they were.”
    “No one trusts China,” user Rebecca wrote. “Maybe you do, but we don’t. If you can’t participate in responsiblemanufacturing, get out of the game!”
    PHOTOS: Bad Tipping, Unpaid Bills, Five Finger Discounts & Other Financial Scandals! 40 Celebrity Cheapskates Revealed
    And Kristine wrote, “I kinda feel lied to a bit . . . I know I would rather pay more for products made in the USA.”
    Were their concerns justified? With The Honest Company set to launch their line at Target stores nationwide on June 15, Radar’s revelation may cause consumers to take another look at the brand and just how honest they really are.
    Jessica Alba’s Baby Brand Uses ‘Unsafe’ Drug In Wipes | Radar Online

I've changed the title as these imports were two shipments for a different importer that was blocked in 2008 & 2009. Two shipments six years ago? Are they clutching at straws here???

Last edited by Novice; June 8th, 2014 at 08:19 AM.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I do my very best to not buy personal care products that are manufactured in China and I certainly don't buy any food products. After the two scares with poisoning and killing dogs, I'll be certain that nothing that goes into my kids body, that touches her body (other than clothes), or that holds the food that goes into her body comes from China. Apple juice is a big one. Seems like the majority of apple juice comes from China. No thanks.

Oh Kris, you know that the US allows use of certain products that are banned in China don't you?
    10 American Foods that are Banned in Other Countries
    Ractopamine-Tainted Meat
    Where it’s banned: 160 countries across Europe, Russia, mainland China and Republic of China (Taiwan)

Bread with Potassium Bromate
    Where it’s banned: Canada, China and the EU

And then I'll just leave these here...
    Chemicals additives banned in other countries but allowed in US foods | Body Unburdened
    Banned Ingredients: Unhealthy Food Additives in US Food - Shape Magazine
    12 cosmetic ingredients legal in the US but banned elsewhere - Health - MSN Healthy Living

Plus, when you visit, the EU likes the ban any/everything so check with the countries you are visiting if you can bring what you are planning to bring.
    If you are planning to bring gifts of meat/cheese for family members, don't bother.... Banned.....

Couldn't have happened to a more self righteous asshole.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Silver Member

From her company's blog in November:

November 20th, 2013
    Inside Honest
    Why Make Products in China?

Our customers expect a lot from us, but we expect even more from ourselves. Our goal is always to “make things better.” It’s an all-encompassing, high-level brand ethos that challenges us to do our best every day in all things we do. It guides how we make our products, how we source raw materials, who we choose as partners, how we serve our customers, and much, much more. It’s everything — and it’s no easy task.

In our efforts to reach our comprehensive, unapologetically higher standards, we’ve learned we need to explore within and beyond our borders to find best-in-class partners. Whether it’s finding the best ingredients or the best manufacturing facilities, you just never know where you’re going to find partners who not only have the capabilities to meticulously craft the exceptional products we create, but also share our vision of creating a better world. As many of you have noticed, we’ve selected to make some of our products in China and that’s raised a few eyebrows and yellow flags with some of our customers.

With a history of product recalls, less than optimal working conditions, and deleterious environmental impacts, China’s overall reputation in the eyes of global consumers has been less than stellar. So, why would The Honest Company decide to source from China (with collaborators) or directly make our high standard, high quality Honest goods there? It’s a question we’ve gotten a few times — we’d ask, too! The decision-making process has been an eye-opening journey of deep investigation, relationship building, and weighing pros and cons, and today we’d like to share what we’ve learned and why we chose to make some of our products, like our Honest Wipes, in China.

1. Infrastructure & Efficiency
    China has been a global hub for manufacturing for decades, and they’ve gotten really good at it. Their ability to create the infrastructure and systems to support and adapt to manufacturing needs is pretty much bar none. From material sourcing to shipping logistics, everything functions like a well-oiled machine creating unparalleled efficiency. One vital piece of this machine is the ability to quickly create injection molds and manufacturing lines for hard goods. It may make your eyes glaze over, but the engineers and contractors we found are like magicians, taking days or weeks as opposed to months or years to help us turn our vision into reality. That means we can test prototypes more efficiently and be nimble to customer requests for design refinements and new products.

2. Cost
    For many of our hard goods (like our stroller or diaper caddy), if we were to make them domestically (which is always our primary objective!), we have found the end result would be far too expensive (for Honest and in turn our customers). And, at the end of the day, we are committed to ensuring that our eco-friendly, effective, natural products aren’t prohibitively expensive to you. We want to hit a level of accessibility that ALL families can afford, as we truly believe every baby deserves the best we can create for them. In the big picture, lower cost on some of these items means greater access, and we get to achieve our mission of education, helping more children and families, and providing more public benefit overall.

3. Quality
    Even though we’re conscientious about cost (who isn’t?), it’s extremely important to note that we NEVER compromise on quality. We ask A LOT from our partners. They, like us, have to go the extra mile when it comes to safety, sustainability, labor practices, and more (read our Suppliers Code of Conduct). Our team on the ground in China is very hands-on to ensure every part of the process lives up to Honest standards.

A few examples:

• They must source top quality raw materials from farms and partners close to the factories to minimize transportation and carbon footprint.
    • They must have on-site water purification methods to ensure the highest purity and filtration.
    • They must personally have a program for sustainability — best practices, goals, and processes.

• They must recycle all scraps and waste materials.
    • They must meet all international good manufacturing standards, like GMPc, cGMP, ISO 9001: 2008, and exceed all fair labor practices.

Also, they have a comprehensive audit system in place (100% available to Honest and our third party audit teams) so they can continually monitor quality control protocols, fair labor practices, health and safety, compensation and work hours, environmental impacts, and more.

Even though we wouldn’t trust any old manufacturer in China, most have had to step it up in terms of quality to attract customers because Chinese labor costs are no longer the lowest in the world. And a small handful exceed all other global competition (like the ones we found). It’s a simple fact that just because there’s a stereotype, it doesn’t mean it’s universally applicable. All Chinese manufacturers are not created equal — just as all U.S., European, North and South American, and Asian manufacturers are not.
    Ultimately, we realize there is more work to be done. The final piece of the puzzle we’re focused on is fulfilling our own commitment to sustainability and reducing the carbon footprint of importing goods that have to travel longer distances. To bridge that gap, we’re hard at work currently reviewing options for fully offsetting our carbon impact. Our goal is to have something in place in the next couple of months.

At The Honest Company, we never claim to be perfect, but we’re always trying to do things better. We don’t make any of these decisions lightly — our responsibility to you, your children, our children, and our children’s children is at the heart of everything we do and we take that very seriously. Hopefully, everything we’ve outlined here demonstrates how comprehensive our decision-making process is and how deliberate we are about every little detail.

Thank you for caring!

Here is the list of Honest products made in China:

• Wipes
    • Dish Brush
    • Dish Towels
    • Suds Up
    • Diaper Caddy
    • Beco Baby Carrier

China, Inside The Honest Company, manufacturing

Why Make Products in China? - Inside Honest - Honestly... The Honest Company Blog

Sounds reasonable, especially given that the refused good were manufactured four years before they had anything to do with her company.
    There are good & bad manufacturers everwhere , China is no exception.
    I just found it amusing that radar on line was all *DANGERDANGER* when the products were from batchs 4-5 years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Sounds reasonable, especially given that the refused good were manufactured four years before they had anything to do with her company.
    There are good & bad manufacturers everwhere , China is no exception.
    I just found it amusing that radar on line was all *DANGERDANGER* when the products were from batchs 4-5 years ago.....
    This.
    I don't understand why this is "news".
    Like Novice pointed out, the manufacturer was cited in 2008/2009. The Honest Company was founded in 2012.
    Why attached The Honest Company's name to something they had nothing to do with (The manufacturer being cited years prior)?
    The manufacturer has most likely made some changes to it's products since then.
    And, on top of that, I'm sure there are different types of "wipes" produced for companies to choose from to cater to the company's needs. Unscented/Scented, this chemical included/that chemical not included, etc.

The blog post by The Honest Company was, well, honest/informative, and well-written.

So..... yeah...
    This article seems like some kind of attempt at a smear campaign by a competitor and/or a bitter actress who lost a part to Alba, and paid some Background Check Internet Investigator $19.99 to dig up whatever nonsense he could find...
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

Well, some of it would have been free, as it looks like it could have been.supplied under the freedom of information act-type equivalent.....

Thread Information