Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Gary Glitter charged with eight sex offenses

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Gary Glitter charged with eight sex offenses

LONDON — British prosecutors say they are charging former pop star Gary Glitterwith eight sex offenses involving teenage girls.

The charges against Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, are related to two women who were 12 and 14 years old at the time of the alleged offenses between 1977 and 1980.

The 70-year-old was arrested in October 2012 — the first in a series of arrests under the Operation Yewtree national investigation that was launched in the wake of a child abuse scandal surrounding late BBC entertainer Jimmy Savile.

Glitter is best known for the hit “Rock & Roll (Part 2),” but he fell into disgrace after being convicted on child abuse charges in Vietnam.

He is due to appear in court in London on June 19.

Gary Glitter charged with eight sex offenses | Page Six

Kill it, kill it with fire.

Disgusting pig.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Saville, and worst of all, imo, Ian Watkins who preferred his victims in diapers... all these fucks need to either be locked away for the term of their natural life, or receive death penalties. It's crystal fucking clear that none of them get "rehabilitated" during their sentences and I'm not shocked by this latest set of charges of Glitter's at all.

I'm tired of seeing cannabis smokers serving long jail time in the US, life sentences given to women who kill their husbands after enduring decades of beatings and rapes, and rapists themselves, who serve a few years and sometimes only suspended sentences.

The justice system has failed these victims irrecoverably and if I was one of them, I'd be taking legal action against the Supreme Court.

Why can't these fucking deranged men keep it in their pants? They know it's wrong. They know the consequences, but they all have raging narcissism, combined with a moral compass that points only to their cocks and how to get off.

Dirty cunts with nothing to contribute to the world.
    [On Terry Richardson] "Dude is like a human version of a white, windowless van...." ~ Michael K.

Castration.

i thought he'd been arrested again for new offences, i'm at least somewhat relieved that this is related to older cases he's only now being charged with.
    Just Kill Me likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Agreed.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

If he committed these crimes then I hope the system punishes him swiftly and appropriately. His prior isn't going to help him. I wonder what the Vietnam offense was and how old the victim was?

I am going to say this about these types of cases in general- I don't know if this applies to his case or not without reading more about it. It is hugely problematic to with charge people with offenses like this decades after the fact, as it is usually impossible for the defense to argue against the charges, whether the defendant is guilty or not. No one remembers what they were doing or where they were on a random day 30 years ago. Witnesses, if there ever were any, have died or disappeared. If you had an alibi 30 years ago, 99.9% of the time you can't prove it because there's no one around to verify it. There is never any physical evidence in cases this old, unless there is a child born of the assault or something. It puts the defense in a very vulnerable position, you end up only being able to argue that the whole story is a fabrication and depending on how believable the complaining witness comes off, it sometimes doesn't work. These are very, very difficult cases to try. I hate them. I have seen people go away on these types of allegations who I truly believed did not commit the crime, I always felt that their rights were violated being tried so many years after the fact.

Even more problematic in this case is that depending on the facts of his prior offense, his prior could come in (although due to the age of the offense I guess a judge could rule it inadmissible, especially if he was convicted in Vietnam and the conviction details are unavailable or scare), if that happened he would likely be convicted more because of his prior bad acts than because of the current testimony of the complainant in this case. Which is exactly what the rules of evidence are supposed to protect defendants against.

Again I am sure this will be an unpopular opinion but there needs to be a statute of limitations on sex crimes. I do understand the psychology behind delayed reporting but when it becomes impossible to defend against the charges because the crime is so old, that is a Due Process violation.

Ok. I clearly need to go back to work. I am spending my vacation writing legal manifestos on my favorite gossip site.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Rolf Harris is the one that surprised me. Gary Glitter not so much, but nevertheless should be locked up for life. Men who do this are mentally ill and beyond help as rehab will never take away the urge. Its horrific what their sickness does to others, and for that they should be segregated from society. Too many little lives are destroyed by these narcissistic self righteous, thoughtless, excuses for men.
    Stereo Inferno and snoopqueen like this.
    Jack I swear.

A*O

The Rolf Harris case troubles me for several reasons. Unlike his accusers he isn't given the benefit of anonymity so guilty or innocent his career and reputation are now completely trashed. From what I've read of the case he was a bit of a groper (and we all know one of those) not a perverted pedophile rapist. I'm not excusing it, but does it really justify putting a 86yr old in jail? I've been groped and felt up several times over the years. Was it annoying and a bit gross? Yes. Am I traumatised 40 years later? Nope. The incidents he's accused of happened so long ago how can anyone be expected to remember all the details and circumstances and why has it taken these women so long to come forward.

I absolutely agree there should be a statute of limitations on these cases. 10 years max.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

i actually thought there was a statute of limitations on these cases but i guess that's not the case in the UK?
    i agree that, even if the defendant is guilty, you can't try someone for a crime that happened years ago and for which there is no evidence. there's just no way to guarantee due process.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We just had a case this past week locally of a school principal who was accused of taking a 12y.o girl into his office, turning off the lights and doing stuff to her (they didn't specify what); during the course of the investigation, more students came out and acccused him. The police confiscated his school computer, only to find the hard drive was missing. They went his house yesterday with a search warrant, and the wife comes to the door to tell the police her husband just shot himself in the head.

All signs point to him being guilty, but now that he's dead, will we ever really know?

^^^^
    if you hadn't mentioned the missing hard drive, i might have answered, we'll never know, and it could be he shot himself because of the shame of the accusation, regardless of whether it's true or not, because especially if you work in a school, an accusation of sexual abuse of a child can be as damning as a conviction. but his hard drive was missing? yeah, guilty.
    snoopqueen likes this.

^^ and hopefully the police did recover the hard drive at his home...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The Rolf Harris case troubles me for several reasons. Unlike his accusers he isn't given the benefit of anonymity so guilty or innocent his career and reputation are now completely trashed. From what I've read of the case he was a bit of a groper (and we all know one of those) not a perverted pedophile rapist. I'm not excusing it, but does it really justify putting a 86yr old in jail? I've been groped and felt up several times over the years. Was it annoying and a bit gross? Yes. Am I traumatised 40 years later? Nope. The incidents he's accused of happened so long ago how can anyone be expected to remember all the details and circumstances and why has it taken these women so long to come forward.

I absolutely agree there should be a statute of limitations on these cases. 10 years max.
    So he got away with groping for decades, noone took a hammer and broke his fingers one by one, joint by joint - I say he can rot in prison.

A*O

He's 86 and judging by what I've seen and read he's already a broken man. Even if he's innocent the mud will stick. It's all over. For a high profile, much loved celebrity that's far worse punishment than whacking him with a hammer and sending him to jail. And after 40 years there's no way the facts can be established from either side.

Lesson, if you are the victim of sexual assault or molestation tell someone NOW. Lord knows there's enough people out there willing to listen these days. Saying you're "too scared" isn't good enough. Sorry.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information