Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: Theresa Caputo, The Long Island Medium, Investigated For Fraud

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Theresa Caputo, The Long Island Medium, Investigated For Fraud

Theresa Caputo, better known as the Long Island Medium, is at the center of a fraud investigation after several people complained that Caputo’s psychic abilities are just a hoax. According to Radar Online, former audience members and viewers believe that the Long Island Medium isn’t who she claims to be.

The creator of fraud website SciFake.com, Ron Tebo, said:

“Theresa is like a vulture preying on the most vulnerable. I think it’s despicable. She schmoozes with the audience, and wins them over with her big hair, designer shoes and comedy. When they trust her, she goes in for the kill. She’ll ask the group a question like, ‘Who lost an older male relative to heart problems?’ It’s the oldest trick in the medium’s book.”

This isn’t the first time that people have doubted the “talents” of the Long Island Medium, but if she has been fraudulent in her activities, she will have herself in quite the hole (and chances are, she didn’t see that coming). While some people still enjoy Caputo and love what she does (essentially, she gives people hope), others are no longer buying into her “gimmick” and say that they will no longer watch her show.

A former fan explained:

“I was a Theresa Caputo believer and watched every one of her shows,. My young daughter died this summer and I needed to believe in something. After tonight, I am no longer a believer. There were many grieving people there, hoping for closure, or a sign from their loved ones and 2,490 people left defeated and deflated.”

Theresa Caputo is still moving forward despite these not-so-new claims, however.
    Although her whole gig could soon come to an end, the Long Island Medium isn’t canceling any appearances or slowing down in the least. According to Huffington Post, Caputo recently spoke about how she told her husband about her “gift.” Perhaps this makes her seem more “human.”

“So when I told him, you know, I can speak to dead people, he saw that I was physically and emotionally getting better. So he’s like, ‘you know what hon, if you think talking to dead people makes you feel better, you keep going right ahead, because it’s making my life a hell of a lot easier.’”

Caputo said that even she was skeptical at first, but after going through the motions with a few people, she couldn’t deny it. She says that witnessing it firsthand makes a big difference in what you think it real and what you know is real.
    The problem is that some people who have witnessed it in person are beginning to pick up on signs that it may not be real at all.

Source

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Theresa Caputo, The Long Island Medium, Investigated For Fraud

[QUOTE=mjw;3211840]

Theresa Caputo, better known as the Long Island Medium, is at the center of a fraud investigation after several people complained that Caputo’s psychic abilities are just a hoax. [/QUOTE]

You don't say...
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I am one who does believe that some people can see, hear, or feel things. I really have no explanation for any of it but believe. However, whenever someone starts to make their living from this I become skeptical. I have watched her show a few times. In most cases the random strangers are people who were involved in a case that had some publicity and are people she knew would be at the location, like employees of the store. She is filming when she goes to their store so she and her staff have obviously done research in advance. I also read that she does shows with thousands in attendance and somehow only seems to get messages from people who won tickets to the show, or purchased the VIP tickets. It is way too easy to run backgrounds checks on these people since she has their names. If you do a google search you will often find names that come up as survivors of those who have died. I get enraged when I think of people taking advanatge of the broken hearted people trying to come to terms with the loss of their loved ones.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I watch her show and I never would have thought she was a fraud (because who could be that evil). If she is is, she's a heartless f'ing bitch who deserves to be sued over and over.

Oh and at her shows she is notorious for saying to all the people beyond the first few rows, "sorry I can't come higher because my shoes hurt my feet." Well take the shoes off and go up and see the people who paid to be there. And stop wearing those shoes, show after show, since you know it prevents you from doing your job. She makes about $140,000 per live show and reads only a few people. Private readings have a wait list of 3-4 years and she chanrges $500 for 30 minutes now. She saw the gravy train coming, and hopped on for the ride.
    Callalily, PecanPie, card and 2 others like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

My mother's friend has a friend (always a great start to a story) who was approached by Theresa while shopping, without cameras or anyone else around. Theresa was spot on about everything, she said, even details that aren't just obvious (like, knowing exactly how she died and stuff). Idk if it's true, but I like the show because people's reactions seem genuine and it kind of feels comforting, to watch people deal with something you've dealt with.

I went to a live show of hers too, with my mom (she'd lost her sister and wanted to see if she could hear from her). It grossed me out a lot, though. They broadcasted the people she approached on a big screen up front, and watching strangers cry on a huge screen while others scream from across the room "Us over here come to us!" like it's a contest or something, and her in a pair of sky high sparkly LB's... it felt shameless. Especially since I'm in Connecticut so there were a lot of parents of deceased Sandy Hook children and teachers, so that really felt uncomfortable. Because even though they believed she was real, just hearing them talk about their dead children to a woman who could be faking it all... it felt gross.

My friend of mine SWEARS by this chic....lol I will have to share the story on her FB account,...see what she says about it.

I watched her show a few times. She seemed genuine at first, but I was put off by the vague readings that sounded like a pre-show interview. I also think that they need to investigate her hairdresser for fraud as well because she should never have been charged for whatever was done to her hair on a regular basis.

I believe in this stuff, but as sluce said, am skeptic about those who make money off of it.

I was contacted by someone I know. We don't know each other very well, just met through football.
    She told me she wanted to talk to me, but was worried I would think she is crazy. I told her it was fine.
    She said that only her close family and her husband know, but she "gets messages".
    She started talking about my Mom and said some things that really hit me. She didn't just say general things that could apply to anyone.

I believe her because she doesn't advertise herself as able to do this, to get attention. She didn't want anything. She was even scared to talk to me about it.
    Callalily, CL**, BoogsBun and 8 others like this.

I wanted to believe her for a while but after reading so many articles about people calling her out, I'm permanently skeptical now. Maybe there is a degree of genuineness in there but something is off and it just doesn't feel right.
    Callalily and sluce like this.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Gee, shouldn't she have seen this coming?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

WHO is investigating?

I don't believe in any of this crap.

James Randi has already called this woman out for being a fraud.

Long Island Medium: A Tall Story
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Hit By Ban Bus!

I totally believe in mediums and all that stuff. That said, I don't believe all of the well known mediums for shit (this chick, Sylvia Browne, John Edwards, etc). You can just see them wrack their brains, and the more "no's" they get in a row, the more desperate they become. I feel bad for the people they hook, because I empathize with them, wanting to know about their loved ones, but there is part of me that just screams "you damn fool".
    A*O likes this.

That helmet hair needs to be investigated.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information