Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dallison

Thread: Sum 41 frontman spends a month in hospital, blames heavy drinking

Default Sum 41 frontman spends a month in hospital, blames heavy drinking

TORONTO - The frontman for Canadian punk band Sum 41 says a health scare has forced him to swear off alcohol.

Deryck Whibley has posted on his website that he has been sick for the past few weeks, including spending a month in hospital.

He says it's because of the "hard boozing" he has been doing over the years.

Whibley says he was at home one night about a month ago when he collapsed, falling to the ground unconscious.

Whibley, who was once married to singer Avril Lavigne, says his liver and kidneys "collapsed."

He says the health crisis has forced him to make drastic lifestyle changes.

"Needless to say it scared me straight," he said in the posting that is dated May 16.

"I finally realized I can’t drink anymore. If I have one drink the docs say I will die."

There is one positive thing that has emerged from his health problems, Whibley said.

"I have my passion and inspiration back for writing music," he writes.

"I already have a few song ideas for new songs. Soon it will be time to start making an album and getting back to touring again."

Sum 41 was formed in 1996. The Ajax, Ont., band has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide and has won two Junos.

Source: https://ca.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/...211524535.html

Geez, this guy is only 34 and already putting the full press on his liver. At least he's owning it and wanting to help himself and not pawning it off to exhaustion hospitalization or some other such bs.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

There's a photo he posted of himself in his hospital bed... it made me uneasy looking at it. So I'm going to post a random photo of him that makes him look.... small

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

woah. he's never been a looker but he's got that bloated face and belly and skinny legs look that alkies get.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I didnt realise he was that short.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Geez, this guy is only 34 and already putting the full press on his liver. At least he's owning it and wanting to help himself and not pawning it off to exhaustion hospitalization or some other such bs.
    Well you should see the bartender I used to work with. 22 years old and a full blown alcoholic and druggie. Looks way better then this guy.

He looks in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    My friend was 36 when he drank himself to death.
    And I had so wanted to make a quip about Avail Lavage driving a man to drink.... Ah well.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Holy Sh*t
    I wasn't aware that his situation was that severe. Although I don't necessarily feel sympathy for him (as this probably isn't the first hint/wake-up call that his hardcore drinking and possible drug-use may cause permanent long term damage or death) - on a human being/compassionate level, I hope he continues to improve, and I hope he makes the effort/necessary steps to improve his health, mentally and physically...

Deryck Whibley

Alive But Wasting Away in First Pic

Since Near-Death Experience

5/19/2014 3:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sum 41 frontman Deryck Whibley is a shell of himself -- looking shockingly frail today as he leaned on his fiancee for support ... days after admitting he nearly died from years of hardcore drinking.

Deryck had to be held up by Jocelyn Aguilar (left) and another woman during a walk in Los Angeles.

On Friday, Deryck revealed he'd been laid up in a hospital bed for a month, and confessed on his blog... "the reason i got so sick is from all the hard boozing i’ve been doing over the years. it finally caught up to me."

Deryck says his liver and kidneys collapsed, and docs have told him if he has one drink he will die.

The damage is obvious when you remember how Deryck looked in his heyday with Avril Lavigne.

Source: Deryck Whibley -- Alive But Wasting Away in First Pic Since Near-Death Experience | TMZ.com
    Last edited by SoCalMarie; May 20th, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

I gained respect for him that he completely put it on himself. He was honest about what he has done to himself. He used it as a "don't be like me," as well, without being preachy.
    I hope he is able to take care of himself and makes as much of a recovery as possible.
    Kittylady likes this.

Thread Information