Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Brookie
  • 1 Post By KrisNine
  • 1 Post By sputnik

Thread: Fox News denies it demoted anchor Shepard Smith when he wanted to come out as gay

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Fox News denies it demoted anchor Shepard Smith when he wanted to come out as gay

Fox News anchorman Shepard Smith was reportedly ready to come out as gay last year, but his bosses weren’t keen on the plan. Has he since been punished?

In a story today titled “How Fox News Shoved Shepard Smith Back Into The Closet,” – and now vehemently denied by Smith and Fox executives – Gawker's J.K. Trotter quotes “multiple sources” who say that Smith approached network president Roger Ailes last summer about publicly coming out.

Gawker reports that Smith told Ailes and other colleagues: “It’s time. It’s time.”

A few weeks before that conversation with Ailes, Smith reportedly surprised his colleagues by taking his boyfriend, a 26-year-old Fox producer, to the company picnic held annually over the Fourth of July weekend at Ailes’ home.

Sources tell Gawker that the couple’s appearance put “several Fox executives on high alert.”

Gawker contends that the subject came up during contract negotiations when “Shep wanted to and was ready to come out, and Roger just said no,” a Fox insider said.

Ailes allegedly told Smith that Fox’s audience would not tolerate a gay news anchor.

“But the discussion worried enough Fox executives to prompt Smith’s removal, in September 2013, from the channel’s coveted prime-time lineup,” Gawker reports.

“According to a Fox insider with direct knowledge of negotiations, Smith’s desire to come out was a large factor in the dramatic move.”

On Wednesday, Ailes and Smith issued a joint statement condemning the Gawker piece as “100% false and a complete fabrication.

“As colleagues and close friends at Fox News for 18 years, our relationship has always been rooted in a mutual respect, deep admiration, loyalty, trust, and full support both professionally and personally.”

Fox News executive Bill Shine, named in the Gawker story as one of the network honchos who didn’t want Smith to come out, issued his own statement.

“We have never asked Shep to discuss or not discuss his private life, and the notion of us having an issue with anyone’s sexuality is not only insulting, but pure fiction,” he said.

Fox News denies it demoted anchor Shepard Smith when he wanted to come out as gay - KansasCity.com

He was a local anchor when I lived in Miami. I just thought he was always out of the closet, until he went to Fox. Even though he was on the local Fox.

He ought to dump Fox, not the other way around. I've always liked him for some reason.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Ailes allegedly told Smith that Fox’s audience would not tolerate a gay news anchor.
    They won't. Their heads would explode. I'd almost pay to witness it though.
    dexknows, SHELLEE and Callalily like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    They won't. Their heads would explode. I'd almost pay to witness it though.
    They would find a way to blame it on Obama or Obama-care or people that support marriage equality for why he chose to be gay . Michelle Bachman and Sara Palin would get on TV and say all the liberals bullied Shepard into being gay
    No matter if he is gay or not his bad eye-lift job is comical , I can't even pay attention to what he says because his eye lids distract me

I assumed he was already out.

His boyfriend is a cutie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

People are so dopey. A good man wants to let people know he is a certain type of person and it is a calamity for the faint hearted god fearing do gooders. Well fuck them in their sanctimonius asses.. Come out, come out, wherever you are .......................
    Jack I swear.

His boyfriend is better looking than he is.
    Callalily likes this.

And a little young for him. That's right, I judge!

the boyfriend looks like a younger scott speedman
    firebrat1229 likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information