Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Neptunia
  • 1 Post By Neptunia

Thread: Betty White Reddit AMA

Default Betty White Reddit AMA

Betty White Explains the Time She Did a Live Golden Girls Taping for the Royals in Reddit AMA

By NATE JONES
    UPDATED 04/29/2014 at 01:00 PM EDT • Originally published 04/29/2014 at 12:00 PM EDT

Who knew that some of the wealthiest women in the world were so enthralled with the adventures of four Florida retirees?

That's one of the amazing stories from Betty White's recent Reddit AMA, in which the 92-year-old television legend recalled the time the Golden Girls cast flew to London for a live performance of a Golden Girls script for the British Royal Family – all at the behest of the late Queen Mother, who was a huge fan of the show.

"It was very exciting," White told the Internet message board. "The Queen was lovely. We were told not to address her unless we were addressed. She was up in a box and she came down on stage after with Princess Anne. She said, 'Lovely, pretty girls' and I said, 'Not bad bodies,' and she said 'Oh, no, not bad bodies!'"

According to White's 2010 memoir, the Queen in this anecdote was the late Queen Mother, who would have been in her eighties at the time.

Other highlights from White's AMA session:

She has a few choices for who should play her in a biopic

With classic humor, Betty White brushed off one of the standard AMA questions: Who would she want to play her in a movie? "I would love it if it were Meryl Streep or Julie Andrews," she wrote, "but they would probably get someone like Chris Rock."

She survives on less sleep than you do

At 92, White has a standard daily routine. She wakes up at 6:30 a.m., goes to work at Hot in Cleveland and comes home and answers mail before turning in "around midnight." Yes, Betty White only gets six and a half hours of sleep a night. Remember that next time you come into work hungover on a Wednesday.

This was her favorite Tonight Show bit to film:

"Johnny and I were sitting at a café table on stage, and a ton of water came pouring out washing us off stage," she remembered. "The producer said, 'Pretend it washes you away.' Pretend?! It was 500 gallons!"

Her favorite Golden Girls cast member was Rue McClanahan

"Just being with all the girls was wonderful," Betty recalled, but she had a special bond with McClanahan. "We used to have riddles for each other between scenes and when the scene was over, we would give each other the answer."

She's got one tip for having so much energy at her age

How has White aged so well? "Thanks to my mom and dad, good genes." Elsewhere, she answered the question of how she keeps her sense of fun: "Because I'm childish at heart!"
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

A few others from her AMA (Ask Me Anything)

On playing backgammon with Lucille Ball:
    Lucy was one of my dearest friends. Our mothers were both best friends. She was dynamite. Everything you saw was what you got. We used to play backgammon, and she used to teach me the game but she used to move the pieces so fast. I used to say "How are you teaching me if you move the pieces so fast?" and she would say "I want to win!"
    On the moment in her life she would like to relive:

Well at 92, that question gets pretty rough to answer. There have been so many special moments. One of the top ones was marrying Allen Ludden. (Editor's note: White and Ludden were married from 1963 until his death from stomach cancer in 1981.)
    On what she would be if she wasn't an actress:
    Zookeeper.
    On her favorite cocktail:
    Vodka on the rocks with a big lemon squeeze.
    On who she thinks is her up-and-coming rival:

There's nobody old enough.
    Or awesome enough, Betty. Or awesome enough.

ConstanceSpry likes this.

Thanks for posting, I hope she stays physically and mentally healthy and makes it to 120 .
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I didn't realize that she was with Ludden for only 18 years.

I just googled him to see who he was, and in every picture together they are both absolutely beaming. Makes my old cynical heart thaw a little bit

frick, it's gonna be an international tragedy when this old broad kicks it.

she's really cool.

Thread Information