Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers The 2 Chicks Held Hostage in Ohio Should Lighten Up

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Joan Rivers The 2 Chicks Held Hostage in Ohio Should Lighten Up

Joan Rivers is scoffing at the 2 women who we held hostage in a Cleveland, Ohio basement ... telling TMZ they shouldn't complain -- "They got to live rent free for more than a decade."

The women are pissed at Joan's comments on the "Today" show this week ... when she talked about her daughter's guest room, saying "Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space."

The woman -- Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus -- came out swinging, saying they were shocked and disappointed at the "hurtful" comment.

Joan tells us she WON'T apologize, telling them to lighten up, adding, "One of them has a book deal. Neither are in a psych ward. They're ok. I bet you within 3 years one of them will be on Dancing with the Stars."

And Joan says, plenty of comedians have done schtick about tragic events like Hitler's terror and the sinking of the Titanic. Joan says, " The tv the guy gave them must not have had SNL."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2zkW3XnPs

Joan Rivers has always been known for making snide commentary and snarky remarks at anyone’s expense. Her most recent bout of controversial comments involves poking fun at former child star Lindsay Lohan.

Lohan, who is the star of her own reality television show on the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) admitted that she had gone through a miscarriage in pregnancy in the final episode of the show. At one point during the taping of the show, Lohan admitted that, “no one knows this – I had a miscarriage for those two weeks that I took off.” Joan Rivers felt the need to make a comment and blatantly stated, “I hope she kept it,” in regards to the miscarriage, to which her daughter Melissa nervously shifted.

Rivers did not stop at this, she further went on to say, “excuse me, what do you think I am? I was born with a coat hanger in my ear.” Rivers continued to keep cracking jokes, even to the point that, when asked if she thought Lindsay Lohan would make a good mother, she replied and said, “oh, I think Lindsay would have been really a great mother. She’d have been diapering the wrong end!”

There have been some rumors circulated that suggest that Lohan made up the miscarriage story in order to gain more sympathy from people. Still, in a myriad number of ways, it should be no surprise that Rivers cracked these jokes at the expense of Lohan herself. Lohan has been through a series of problems in the last several years, ranging from shoplifting to drug use to excessive partying and even a criminal record and some jailtime. Eventually the former “Mean Girls” star decided to check herself into rehab, which resulted in the airing of her reality show on OWN.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/joan-rivers-jokes-about-lindsay-lohans-miscarriage/story-fnk822dn-1226893668063
    http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/147258/Joan-Rivers-Jokes-About-Lindsay-Lohan-Miscarriage-I-Hope-She-Kept-It

What. The. Actual. Fuck? There's joking about shit and then there's crossing the line. I think that crossed the line by a mile. Sick. No like.

eta. This is about the ladies in Ohio. She can say what she wants about Lohan.

I can't stand this woman. She is never funny to me.
    tulip and Kittylady like this.
    "Thankfully I'm an educated multi-millionaire who knows better than to speak to perverted unjust cops without my lawyer. "
    "I think she's psychotic...what do I do?" - Jenny Schecter

Her first joke wasn't that bad (about the space), but once they got wind of it and were upset she should have apologized instead of continuing to make light of what happened. The comment about not complaining because they lived rent-free was particularly nasty. And sorry, Joan, but if you think a book deal or DWTS gig will ever be enough to compensate for what these women endured, you should ask them to inject some brain cells at your next collagen appointment. Total Hollywood mentality. Being rich and famous is not all some people want. I'm sure Amanda Berry would like for her mother to be alive and to know she was not murdered (since she went to her grave thinking so).

Also, there were three of them down there. Michelle Knight was the third victim. Guess that probably made the space a little bit tighter too.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

joan just wants to go out with a bang. she doesn't give a shit what she says at her age.

Really vile, these women were tortured

A*O

Team Joan. She says this stuff to get exactly this kind of outraged huffing and puffing reaction.
    MsDark, Belt Up and Mel1973 like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Doesn't she also make jokes about the holocaust as well?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I kept reading the title of the thread over and over because I was confused.

Anyway, I have not paid any attention to her for years. Just seen a bit of her here and there. She crosses the line big time here.

But, I can see what she means in a way. Not about these ladies, but about people who get their own reality shows, and pop up on Dancing With the Stars. People milk their stories.

For Joan to speak of these ladies who were held hostage for so many years is nothing to be made fun of. I highly doubt someone to use their tragic life and turn it to a reality show, or to get modeling gigs. I'm talking about real life, not made up stuff. Maybe I'm wrong though. There is a bunch of shows I haven't heard of.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Guess it would be no big deal if Mellissa were kidnapped, held hostage, and Joan's grandchildren murdered one by one shortly after they took their first breath. Sounds like something that should be mocked....

Crime victims are not fair game for comedians. Sorry. They did not choose to be famous, and I'm sure they would trade all the book deals in the world not to have experienced that. I'd like to find a basement for Joan Rivers.

I think it might be different if Rivers was joking about this as part of a standup comedy set. The problem is that she says this during interviews and it can be difficult whether she's being serious or telling a joke. She could at least qualify it by saying afterward that what happened was actually terrible. On the other hand, I haven't seen Joan leading the torches and pitchfork brigade against other comedians who tell insensitive jokes (in other words, she's not being a hypocrite).
    Flygirl likes this.

I don't have a problem with the first part - she's right, people make fun of tragedies, partly as a way of coping/dealing. But she should have proceeded to shut up instead of telling them to lighten up, that's when it got personal and those girls don't deserve what she said about them.
    czb, Lalasnake, manningmsj and 1 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Gold Member

Joan hasn't been funny since the Reagan administration.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Doesn't she also make jokes about the holocaust as well?
    Yes, she does. She was once quoted as saying she could have joked her way out of a concentration camp too. On that documentary film they made on her a couple of years ago, she was talking about a joke about Michelle Obama that she thankfully decided against. But the punch line was "Blackie O", a take on Jackie Kennedy Onassis' nickname...she walks the line. She made jokes about Karen Carpenter just weeks after her death, IIRC.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    Joan hasn't been funny since the Reagan administration.
    As a matter of fact, the Reagan Administration was funnier. This is just crass.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information