Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Richard Marx and Cynthia Rhodes Divorcing After 25 Years of Marriage

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Richard Marx and Cynthia Rhodes Divorcing After 25 Years of Marriage

The king of love ballads and his wife are no longer singing the same tune.

Richard Marx, 50, the pop singer behind romantic '80s and '90s hits like "Right Here Waiting," and "Hold On to the Nights," has announced that he and his wife, actress and singer Cynthia Rhodes, 57, are splitting, PEOPLE confirms.

The couple have been separated since July and are in the process of divorcing after 25 years of marriage, his rep tells PEOPLE.

The announcement was initially made on Friday's episode of Katie. "Well, you're back on the market," Katie Couric said. "How are you feeling about dating?"

"It's all brand new to me, so I'm just having fun," Marx replied. While he did admit that recently turning 50 had had an effect on him, he insisted he wasn't having a midlife crisis.

"You hit 50 and go, what do I want to do differently?" he explained. "I want to do as much differently as possible."

Marx and Rhodes met in 1983, when the actress, best known for her role as Penny Johnson inDirty Dancing, was playing John Travolta's love interest in the film Staying Alive and Marx was working on the soundtrack.

After four years of dating, they wed in 1989. She then retired to concentrate on raising their three sons, Brandon, 23, Lucas, 21, and Jesse, 20. The couple lived in Lake Bluff, Illinois.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20803475,00.html

I saw him on Katie today and was definitely surprised. I googled and couldn't find a thing about it--the last was something from 2012 where he was still singing her praises. So I guess that was the first formal announcement, but he really didn't elaborate at all. Always sad to see such a long term relationship break up. I will say he looked damn good, though. Not that I ever found him attractive, but he's certainly held up well.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

i don't really care for him, but i love her. that body of hers...........wow
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Wuh? He lied! "Wherever you go, whatever you do, I'll be right here waiting for you."

A bunch of jackhole lies!
    Trixie, cheray, weathered1 and 8 others like this.

"You hit 50 and go, what do I want to do differently?" he explained. "I want to do as much differently as possible."
    Yeah, so I guess you ditch your wife then.
    Beeyotch and HWBL like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I wore my "Right Here Waiting" tape all the way out in 1989.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I was in high school when he was the bomb diggity so of course I had to call him "Dick Marx" and laugh like crazy.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Guess she's going to have to hold on to the memories.

Badumdum!

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Yeah, so I guess you ditch your wife then.
    Really. The longer I'm alive the more cliche and predictable it seems, and the more jaded and pessimistic it makes me.

We should all have a plan for when the man in our life hits midlife crisis and just says "Later, it's been real and all but I gotta go."
    ariesallover and Belt Up like this.

i googled this lady, i don't see any real recent pix of her. she was lovely 10 years ago. i wonder if she's a plastic surgery casualty. not that it's an excuse to leave your wife but if she looks like a bubble cheek, fish lipped, bat faced monster i don't blame him.

Maybe after 25 years, she's just as sick of him.

Elite Member

They lived in Lake Bluff? That's about 10 minutes from me

I forgot they were married.
    card likes this.

Me too Tulip! Richard Marx is originally from Highland Park where I work. He stayed true to Chicagoland.
    tulip likes this.

Here's his 2012 interview...and a year later, they split.

RICHARD MARX TALKS MARRIAGE TO DIRTY DANCING'S CYNTHIA RHODES: 'I TOTALLY MARRIED UP'

JUNE 14, 2012 03:20 PM EDT

Richard Marx boasts nearly three decades of success in the music business, but the “Right Here Waiting” singer has another (some would say, even more impressive) success under his belt – his over-20-year marriage to “Flashdance” and “Dirty Dancing” star Cynthia Rhodes.

“I totally married up. I totally married out of my league,” Richard told Billy Bush and Kit Hoover on Thursday’s Access Hollywood Live of his successful relationship with Cynthia.

As the sizzling Penny Johnson in 1987’s “Dirty Dancing,” Cynthia’s career was on the fast track when she married Richard in 1989. Fresh off the success of the Patrick Swayze-led film, the stunning blonde bowed out of the entertainment world to focus on being a mom.

“She retired to raise your three sons. Does she ever regret any part of that?” Kit asked.

“Never,” Richard replied. “It’s remarkable because her career was on fire. When she got pregnant with our oldest son Brandon, who’s now 21, she said, ‘You know, I know women do it every day, [they] successfully juggle career and [family]. I just want to be the best mom I can possibly be.’

“And she has been. It’s remarkable,” he added with a smile.

Richard Marx Talks Marriage To Dirty Dancing's Cynthia Rhodes: 'I Totally Married Up' | Access Hollywood
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Maybe he was still into her and she dumped him.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information