Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Anderson Cooper Will Not Receive an Inheritance From Mom Gloria Vanderbilt

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Anderson Cooper Will Not Receive an Inheritance From Mom Gloria Vanderbilt

No inheritance for Anderson! CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, who comes from the Vanderbilts, one of the wealthiest families in American history, said Monday, March 31, that he will not be receiving any fortune from his mother Gloria Vanderbilt.

"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund," Cooper told Howard Stern on his radio show. "There's none of that."

Cooper's mom is the great-great-granddaughter of railroad and shipping mogul Cornelius Vanderbilt. Still stunning at 90 years old, the Manhattan socialite and former denim designer is reportedly worth a whopping $200 million.

Gloria's equally-successful son, however, told Stern he was okay with not receiving an inheritance at all. "I don't believe in inheriting money," he said. "I think it's an initiative sucker. I think it's a curse."

Cooper explained, "Who has inherited a lot of money that has gone on to do things in their own life? From the time I was growing up, if I felt that there was some pot of gold waiting for me, I don't know that I would've been so motivated."

Today, the reputable journalist, 46, has become a household name on his own. The CNN personality, nicknamed the "Silver Fox" by fans, reportedly rakes in $11 million a year through his contact with the network.

"I'm doing fine on my own, I don't need any [money]," he told Stern.

While Cooper had a privileged upbringing in Manhattan, the Yale grad has mentioned he was unfazed by his wealthy background -- in part, due to his father, Wyatt Emory Cooper. "I've never paid attention to it, honestly," Cooper said of the Vanderbilt family's wealth.

"My dad grew up really poor in Mississippi… I paid attention to that because I thought that's a healthier thing to pay attention to than like some statue of a great-great-great-grandfather who has no connection to my life."

Read more: Anderson Cooper: No Inheritance From Mom Gloria Vanderbilt - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

As a child, Anderson Cooper put his handsome looks to good use as a model starting at the age of 10.

However, while chatting with Howard Stern on the radio personality's program on Monday, the 46-year-old CNN anchor explained why he decided to leave the modeling world at 13.

"I got propositioned by a photographer...a male," Cooper said. "He somehow got my number and called me up and offered me money, and so it freaked me out. I never told anybody. I just stopped. I was, like, 'Forget it.'"

When asked exactly how much money he was offered, Cooper brought a little levity to the conversation by saying, "$2,500, which I thought was a little low."

Anderson Cooper Opens Up About Being Propositioned as a Child Model, Reveals He Will Not Receive an Inheritance | E! Online

ariesallover likes this.

Well he certainly doesn't need it.

We don't get his show here, (at least not on freeview), but I like Anderson. He's one of those guys who walks his talk.
    [On Terry Richardson] "Dude is like a human version of a white, windowless van...." ~ Michael K.

And he's totally hot, which always helps. I didn't realise he was from that family, interesting.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I'm kind of puzzled by the idea of a trust-fund baby turning around and saying that he or she is not going to leave an inheritance to their own children.

Not buying this. It's likely he came into a trust of some sort already, regardless of what his mom plans to leave to him.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Not buying this. It's likely he came into a trust of some sort already, regardless of what his mom plans to leave to him.
    I'm dealing with something similar right now. When my mom passed away, her joint ownership in an enterprise had her name removed and my brother's and mine added in her place. It's not like a direct inheritance of a sum of money, and it's not a trust fund, but the structure among the owners is a trust.

And he specifically stated that when his mum died there was "no trust fund", not no inheritance (in the part I saw quoted).

"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund,"

And maybe mommy lied because she didn't want him to be a wastrel all his life?

Funny how rolling-in-it-rich folks have this inverted snobbery, there are other members of his family who are hugely successful in their own fields.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Stereo Inferno View Post
    We don't get his show here, (at least not on freeview), but I like Anderson. He's one of those guys who walks his talk.
    His show ain't what it used to be, sadly. I mean AC360.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I like Anderson Cooper, I really do. I think he's very personable. But, the idea that he is self-made through his own spit and gumption and that he is that way because he knew there was no "pot of gold" waiting for him is the biggest batch of horseshit ever. He is who he is now and rose to these heights because of his background including access to unreal gobs of money then, now and tomorrow. Period. To deny or minimize the effects of his lifelong privilege is, frankly, annoying.

Anderson, bubala, you're not just one of the guys.

Elite Member

I wish more parents were like this, give your child the best foundation your money can buy them, get them started on their own & make sure they can support themselves.
    Maybe we would have less Paris Hiltons in the world.

^^^^
    you can do that and still leave them money.
    Novice and darksithbunny like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He will never be mine anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. *sniff*

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    you can do that and still leave them money.
    I think so, too. If I worked hard and enjoyed having the lifestyle that $200 million brought me, I would want my kids to enjoy that as well. Teach them to be decent people while they're young, insist on an education and don't allow them to be people like Paris Hilton. If her parents were so bothered by her behavior they would have cut her off.

Bill Gates seems to have a good plan. His kids will be set up and pretty comfortable, have an education, but they won't collect the entire fortune.
    Novice and darksithbunny like this.

czb

yeah, i'm sure he received money along the way. it's not like he ever lived on skid row or anything. but i'm still not going to throw shade at him - he is actually working and has a career. it's not like he's trying to make it in reality tv or marketing a credit card with his image on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information