Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Dynasty star Kate O'Mara dies

Default Dynasty star Kate O'Mara dies

Dynasty Star Kate O'Mara Dies Aged 74

Sky News – 12 minutes ago

Former Dynasty star Kate O'Mara has died at a Sussex nursing home at the age of 74 after a short illness.
    She was best known for playing Alexis Colby's scheming sister Cassandra "Caress" Morrell in the soap in the mid-80s, but also had roles in Doctor Who, Howards' Way and Triangle.
    Her agent Phil Belfield said: "She was extraordinary, she had so much energy and vitality with a love for theatre and acting."
    "A shining star has gone out and Kate will be dearly missed by all who knew and have worked with her."
    Doctor Who actor Colin Baker tweeted: "Oh my goodness. Kate O'Mara is no longer with us. Sad sad news. A delightful, committed and talented lady and actress. We are the poorer."
    During the 70s she played a number of television roles in series including The Return of the Saint, and The Brothers. She also had a recurring role in the prison drama series Bad Girls.
    O'Mara was also loved for her role in the 90s comedy series Absolutely Fabulous where she played the sister of Patsy, the character played by Joanna Lumley.
    She had been married and divorced three times - once to fellow Doctor Who actor Jeremy Young - and she was a strong advocate of animal welfare issues.
    During her acting career she also wrote two autobiographies; Vamp Until Ready and Game Plan: A Woman's Survival Kit.
    She also wrote two fictional novels When She Was Bad and Good Time Girl.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dynasty-st...5.html#RWB53BZ

I saw her in a department store once. She was loud and theatrical but tiny.

RIP. I also loved her on AbFab.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

She was a real class act
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I just read this. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, she was hilarious on Abfab. Mesmerizing eyes. R.I.P. Kate, too young.

At the 10:49 mark "Pats, I'm 72!"

Edit to add: So sad, her only son died in January 2013 and after that her hair went white. I saw an interview of her on YouTube of last year and sadly she sounded like she had bad dentures. She died in a nursing home. Too young.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

'We had great fun on Dynasty. Tragic news': On-screen sister Joan Collins leads tributes to actress Kate O'Mara who died aged 74 after short illness

• Kate O'Mara died this morning aged 74 after a short illness
    • Her agent confirmed she passed away in a Sussex nursing home
    • He said this morning: 'She was extraordinary and had so much energy'
    • Was best known for playing Cassandra Morrell in Dynasty in the 1980
    • Fans and co-stars paid tribute to 'delightful, talented' actress today

By LIZZIE EDMONDS
    PUBLISHED: 13:31, 30 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:40, 30 March 2014

Co-stars and fans of Kate O'Mara have paid tribute to the 'extraordinary' British actress who died today aged 74.

The British actress died this morning in a Sussex nursing home after a short illness, her agent confirmed.

She was best known for her role as Cassandra 'Caress' Morrell - the sister of Joan Collins' Alexis Colby - in the US soap. She also held roles in several major television series including Doctor Who, Howards' Way and Triangle.

Her agent Phil Belfield said today: 'She was extraordinary, she had so much energy and vitality with a love for theatre and acting.'

+14

Kate O'Mara, pictured in 2013, has died following a short illness, her agent confirmed today. She was 74

+14

Kate O'Mara in Dynasty alongside Joan Collins, John Forsythe and Christopher Cazenove. The actress died in a Sussex nursing home this morning

+14

Kate O'Mara and her Dynasty co-stars. Her agent said today: 'She was extraordinary. She had so much energy and vitality with a love for theatre'

He added: 'A shining star has gone out and Kate will be dearly missed by all who knew and have worked with her.'
    Tributes to the actress were made on Twitter throughout the day.

Former Dr Who Tom Baker wrote: 'Oh my goodness. Kate O'Mara is no longer with us. Sad sad news. A delightful, committed and talented lady and actress. We are the poorer.'
    Joan Collins added: 'Tragic news about Kate O Mara , we had great fun on Dynasty when she played my sister Caress who Alexis insisted on calling CASSIE ! RIP'

Kate's former co-star Bonnie Langford added: 'So sad to hear that the wonderful Kate O'Mara has gone. Treasured memories xxx'

Her on-screen sister Joan Collins said the actress's death was 'tragic news'

Dr Who star Colin Baker paid this heart-felt tribute today

+14

+14

The actress was best known for playing Alexis Colby's scheming sister Cassandra 'Caress' Morrell in the US soap in the mid 1980s

+14

A young Kate O'Mara starring in The Saint in 1968 - shortly after she made her stage debut

+14

The actress in ITV show Weavers Green. She was born in Leicester in 1939 to actress Hazel Bainbridge and flying instructor John F Carroll

Actress Sarah Douglas ‏added: 'So sorry to learn that Kate O'Mara has died. What a lovely lady.'

Presenter and chat show host Graham Norton wrote: 'Kate O'Mara is no more. Only 74! I loved every encounter I had with her. Today doesn't seem so sunny.'

The official account for BAFTA tweeted: 'We're saddened to learn that Kate O'Mara, who starred in Dynasty, has passed away.'
    Kate was born Frances M Carroll in Leicester on August 10, 1939. She was born to actress Hazel Bainbridge and flying instructor John F Carroll.

+14

Kate, born Frances M Carroll, in The Saint. She made her debut in a production of The Merchant of Venice

+14

Kate in Dr Who alongside Bonnie Langford and Sylvester McCoy in 1987

TRIBUTES TO KATE O'MARA

Former Dr Who Tom Baker wrote: 'Oh my goodness. Kate O'Mara is no longer with us. Sad sad news. A delightful, committed and talented lady and actress. We are the poorer'
    Kate's former co-star Bonnie Langford: 'So sad to hear that the wonderful Kate O'Mara has gone. Treasured memories xxx'

Graham Norton wrote: 'Kate O'Mara is no more. Only 74! I loved every encounter I had with her. Today doesn't seem so sunny
    Actor Jake Canuso: Very sad to hear that Kate O'Mara has died. We had the privilege to work with her in series 5 [of Benidorm]. She was so lovely and a delight to work with.
    Joan Collins wrote: 'Tragic news about Kate O Mara , we had great fun on Dynasty when she played my sister Caress who Alexis insisted on calling CASSIE ! RIP'

She made her debut on stage in a production of The Merchant of Venice in 1963. She then went on to appear in The Saint and The Avengers - among many other shows.

In the 70s, she appeared in The Brothers - a BBC drama - alongside Tom Baker.

She appeared in Triangle in the early 80s and, in one particularly memorable scene she sunbathed topless on a North Sea ferry.

It was her recurring role of Caress Morrell in Dynasty from 1986 onwards that saw the actress achieve international recognition.
    She also appeared in the original run of Doctor Who opposite both Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy as renegade Time Lord The Rani.
    The Rani first appeared 1985 - and returned twice more in the cult television series.

In October 2013, the 50th anniversary of the show, Kate spoke to Digital Spy about returning to Doctor Who.
    She said: 'I'll still be wearing the tight leather trousers and high-heel boots, regardless of what age!

'I have white hair now, but a lot of it, and I'm still very glamorous, so I won't disappoint!'

+14

Kate poses for a publicity shot along with the other cast members of Howards' Way in 1989

+14

The actress in British soap Crossroads in 2002. She was also appeared in Absolutely Fabulous

She also told the Huffington Post: 'I'd love to come back as The Rani another time around.
    'To have a much older woman as your adversary, there's something interesting about that.'
    'I'll still be wearing the tight leather trousers and high-heel boots, regardless of what age.'

Kate O'Mara to Digital Spy

In the late 80s, Kate starred as a ruthless businesswoman in BBC drama Howards' Way, which was dubbed the 'Dallas of the Seas'.
    In the 1990s she starred in the comedy show Absolutely Fabulous as Jackie, the sister of Joanna Lumley's character Patsy.
    More recently she had appeared in ITV soap Benidorm and a 2012 stage adaptation of Agatha Christie's Death On The Nile.
    Kate had been married and divorced three times and had one son.

+14

Kate and son Dickson, who was a set designer for the Merriran Theatre. He was found dead in January 2013

Tragically in January 2013, Dickon O'Mara was found dead in a garage at his mother's home.

It is thought he had been dead for up to three weeks when his body was discovered.

An inquest in to his death heard how he had spiralled into a life of drink and drug abuse after suffering brain damage when he was run over three years earlier.
    The theatre technician had been hit by a car in January 2010 and suffered brain injuries which affected his balance and left him unable to work.

+14

Joan Collins, Shirley Bassey and Kate O'Mara meet the Queen in May 2012

+14

Kate on This Morning in 2012. The actress never retired, and appeared in Benidorm the same year

The inquest heard he appeared to have been sleeping in the garage of his mother’s home after she asked him to leave her cottage two months earlier because she could no longer cope with his behaviour.

By then, the actress had been hospitalised with pneumonia. She was still too ill to attend the inquest.

Kate is survived by her sister, the actress Belinda Carroll.
    Mr Belfield said there would be a private funeral and a memorial service on a date to be confirmed.

Read more: Kate O'Mara, former Dynasty star, dies aged 74 | Mail Online

Bronze Member

What a stunning face she had...

Amazing eyes. Seeing old Dynasty pics is almost enough to make me want to see a resurgence in 80s make-up. The wizardry going on with blush back then was something else.
    whitetigeress likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I see a resemblance to Rosie HW in some shots.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

When she was young, I think she looked a bit like Jennifer Lawrence.
    lucianodel likes this.

Sad news. I hated her for Alexis! lol
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

A*O

She was the 1980s diva on a stick. Howard's Way was required Sunday night viewing in our house. Great cheekbones (real) and she understood the "bronze eyeshadow makes blue eyes pop" technique.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Right so I misread this and for the first time ever I felt any emotion that wasn't negative about Kate Mara

eta: I don't see Jennifer Lawrence, I see Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Her role on AbFab was legendary, and with everyone's obsession w/Dynasty I'm thinking of watching it. RIP, Ms. O'Mara.

'She was the worst mother ever': Bitter wrath of the son Dynasty star Kate O'Mara dumped... and left without a penny

• Kate O'Mara, who spent decades as Hollywood star, died this March at 74
    • But there were no kind words from estranged son Christopher Linde, 48
    • Linde, who has health problems and lives on benefits, was given up
    • O'Mara left him to be adopted after he was born in May 1965
    • He later got in touch, but she was aloof and uninterested and they fell out
    • Letter seen by Mail on Sunday shows O'Hara blamed Linde for plunging her into depression and damaging the health of her parents
    • Linde says he 'felt nothing' when she died

author]
    PUBLISHED: 00:15, 11 May 2014 | UPDATED: 09:02, 11 May 2014

When, just a few weeks ago, the impossibly glamorous Kate O’Mara succumbed to ovarian cancer, the showbusiness world united to lavish praise not just on her striking looks, but a screen presence who lit up some of the most popular television dramas ever broadcast.

She had travelled a long way from a childhood in wartime Leicester to the Hollywood glamour of Dynasty.

But for all the acclaim, it was also a journey that left an indelible mark of sadness on the actress, a grief she tried to keep secret not just from her fans, but her closest family.

+5

+5

Strained relationship: Kate O'Mara, pictured left at the height of her 1970s fame, only met her estranged son Christopher Linde (right) a handful of times

Notably after her death, there was no moving tribute from the 74-year-old’s sole surviving son, Christopher Linde – nor was he invited to the family funeral.
    In fact, the child O’Mara bore as a struggling young actress was a stranger to her and - as The Mail on Sunday has established – she nursed a bitter grievance towards him until her dying day.

An impassioned letter written by the actress, and never seen before now, accuses Linde of terrorising her, and claims that the revelation of his existence pushed her into severe depression and drove her father, a former RAF flight instructor, to an early grave.

Linde, in turn, blames his mother for abandoning him twice – at birth and as a young man. Today, the 48-year-old leads a squalid existence in a rundown housing association flat in Redhill, Surrey.

+5

Uninterested: Kate O'Mara said she had been 'blackmailed' by her secret son - while he has called her the 'worst mother ever'

Classic footage of Kate O'Mara in iconic show Triangle

Plagued by ill-health and agoraphobia, he exists on benefits – and is likely to do so for some time.

The actress’s will, published last week, leaves him not a penny from her £350,000 estate.

It is a decisive confirmation of their estrangement.

Instead, O’Mara left a £10,000 legacy to the Actors’ Benevolent Fund and, after the funeral and legal fees, the remainder to her younger sister Belinda Cochrane, a former actress.
    Mrs Cochrane’s husband Michael plays retired farmer Oliver Sterling on Radio 4’s The Archers.

The very private drama of mother and son began on May 12, 1965, when O’Mara gave birth to an illegitimate child, the product of a brief liaison with actor David Orchard. The two had met on the set of television series No Hiding Place.

Times were hard. O’Mara was living in shared rented rooms and was already a single mother when she gave birth to Christopher. Bringing up two children on her own would, she felt, be impossible.

+5

Career: O'Mara is pictured here in The Saint, which broadcast in 1968, when Linde was three. He has said she treated him like a member of her fan club

So with her own parents still unaware that he existed, the baby boy was adopted by a married couple called Derek and Joy Linde.

There the story might have ended. But at 18, Linde discovered the identity of his birth mother, and, after his then-girlfriend wrote to the actress in 1985, he and O’Mara were briefly - and tragically - reunited.

They met on a handful of occasions, but when the news of her illegitimate son broke, O’Mara blamed Linde for speaking to the media. The pair fell out and never spoke again.

Now a shambling figure with long, unkempt grey hair, Linde rarely leaves his flat, where he is surrounded by prescription drugs for depression and his neurological disorder.

He feels little sympathy for the plight of his mother and expresses no shock that he was left out of her will. ‘I’m not shocked, I’m not surprised at all,’ he says. ‘I hadn’t expected her to leave me anything.

‘She didn’t know what sort of person I was – she never even attempted to get to know me. It’s crazy because I’m a perfectly civilised human being. The money might have helped with treatment.

‘But it doesn’t really make any difference to me now. What would have made a difference is if she hadn’t given me up when I was a day old.

‘If she had just been a normal person, that would have helped. She even got the date of my birth wrong in her autobiography. She said I was born in 1966 and I wasn’t. I was born in May 1965.’

He and Kate met shortly before she joined the cast of Dynasty as Caress Morell, the sister of Alexis Carrington, played by Joan Collins, in the hit saga about the wealthy Carrington family.
    Linde recalls his first encounter with his mother: ‘I was nervous. She didn’t say a lot. She didn’t seem to understand why I wanted to know who my dad was, or why I wanted to know where I came from.

‘I remember her not being particularly interested in me or what I was doing. I do remember her crying a bit but I was never made to feel at ease. There was no warmth, no empathy.

‘It was really awkward. I’m a working-class kid and I’m down-to-earth. But she wasn’t down-to-earth at all. She was very “One does this, one does that, blah, blah, blah”. It was all very affected.

‘But I was polite. She didn’t seem interested in anything such as who I was and where I was from.’

The second time Linde met his mother briefly in a cafe, and the next day she came to his council flat then and brought him to her home in Farnham, Surrey.

He says: ‘She didn’t seem to want to tell me who my dad was until the last time I met her and she told me his name. That time she came to my flat and drove me down to her cottage.

‘But she treated me like I was a member of her fan club. I can remember coming home with glossy pictures of her. I thought, “What do I want these for?” I met her sister briefly and she was all right.

+5

Other son: Kate O'Mara is pictured here with her son Dickon, who killed himself in 2012

When I found out Kate had died I felt nothing. I couldn’t cry. How can you cry for someone who gave you away, who never thought anything about you and left you to a horrible life? Where is the maternal instinct in that?

‘I don’t feel like her child. It is ironic that she died on Mother’s Day. She was the worst mother ever.’

Linde did not realise the extent of his mother’s rejection until The Mail on Sunday showed him the letter, which made it clear she wanted nothing more to do with him.

The letter, which has never been published, denounced him as a ‘criminal’ following his arrest for attempting to steal a duvet from M&S. It also bemoaned that the revelation about her giving away an illegitimate son could scupper her career in the United States.

O’Mara wrote: ‘I was menaced, emotionally blackmailed, threatened and terrorised by Christopher Linde, who as everyone now knows, has a criminal record.

‘Understandably, I now have no contact with him.

‘The disclosure of such an intensely private matter, my own personal grief, a grief I share with no one (not even my family) was, to say the least, traumatic.

‘My father suffered a minor stroke, followed by several more. He died 18 months later, never having recovered from the shock. My mother suffered a fibrillation of the heart, resulting in a blood clot forming in her left eye.

‘When this healed, scar tissue was left, causing her to go blind in that eye.

‘My entire family were subjected to extreme distress. As was I. I must reiterate the distress I suffered as a result of the disclosure. I became severely depressed.’

Linde chain-smokes nervously as he denies harassing his mother, saying: ‘I did not blackmail her.

‘And if I menaced her, why did she meet me again? Yes I called her up but that is what any child would do. My life is horrible. I have no family or support. I am all alone. I was abandoned by my mother not once, but twice.’

Linde says that he had got on well with his half-brother Dickon, who had worked as a stage manager and a theatre set designer.

He says: ‘He was dating Jenny Agutter and I remember we all played Trivial Pursuit and drank port in her South Kensington flat.’

The reason for the relatively modest size of Kate’s estate, which was just above the inheritance tax threshold, is not known.

However, in an interview before falling ill, the actress said that her TV work had dried up in recent years. In her younger days she had appeared in shows including Howards’ Way, Doctor Who and Triangle, a North Sea ferry soap opera.

Mother and son were never reconciled, even after Christopher’s half-brother was found hanged in December 2012 in the garage at their mother’s home in Long Marston near Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire.

Dickon killed himself after fighting depression and addiction problems for year. He had suffered brain damage when he was hit by a car in 2010 while walking his dog in fog.

Mrs Cochrane, 68, refused to comment about the will when contacted by The Mail on Sunday, saying only: ‘I don’t want to talk about it at all thank you very much. I’m sorry, but it is all a bit raw.’

But for Linde there is no forgetting: ‘What kind of woman hands over her newborn child to a foster mother and then agrees to have him adopted when she knows nothing about the adoptive parents?

‘I feel nothing for her.’

Read more: 'She was the worst mother ever': Bitter wrath of the son Dynasty star Kate O'Mara dumped... and left without a penny | Mail Online

the son sounds like a whiner. She put him up for adoption, he's trying to place blame for his issues, with her. Wonder what the adoptive parents have to say?
    Kittylady likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information