Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps Sr. 'on the edge of death'

Default Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps Sr. 'on the edge of death'

No one's going to protest against this guy’s death.

Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps Sr. has been admitted to a hospice facility and is “on the edge of death,” his estranged son revealed.

The 84-year-old preacher established the small Kansas church in 1955 and made it a household name by picketing funerals, public events and businesses with hateful signs attacking gay people, Jews and others.

“I’ve learned that my father, Fred Phelps Sr., pastor of the ‘God Hates F--s’ Westboro Baptist Church ... is now on the edge of death at Midland Hospice in Topeka, Kansas,” son Nathan Phelps wrote on Facebook.

Steve Drain, a Westboro spokesman, confirmed Sunday that Phelps is in ill health.

“I can tell you that Fred Phelps is having some health problems,” Drain said. “He’s an old man and old people get health problems.”

In his Facebook post, Nathan Phelps, who left the church 37 years ago, said Westboro excommunicated his father in August.

Drain declined to comment on whether Phelps has been voted out of the church he established.

“I’m not sure how I feel about this. Terribly ironic that his devotion to god ends this way. Destroyed by the monster he made,” Nathan Phelps wrote in the post, which had been shared more than 1,000 times as of Sunday night.

“I feel sad for all the hurt he’s caused so many. I feel sad for those who will lose the grandfather and father they loved.”

Westboro members frequently protest at the funerals of American soldiers with signs bearing messages like “Thank God for dead soldiers” and “Thank God for 9/11,” claiming the deaths are divine punishment for the country’s tolerance of homosexuality.

They first attracted widespread attention by picketing the 1998 funeral of Matthew Shepard, a Wyoming college student tortured and killed in an anti-gay attack.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights nonprofit organization, has described Westboro as a hate group, and some people reacted to Nathan Phelps’ Facebook post with glee.

“Thank God he is almost dead!!! Party time!” user Victor Purchase wrote below the post.

Others preached goodwill.

“I may not have supported his lifestyle. In fact, I stand for everything his church is against. But that doesn’t give me the right to be happy about someone dying,” wrote Corey Bartley.

The church’s sick activities inspired a federal law limiting protests at funerals for soldiers along with numerous state restrictions on picketing at funeral sites.

Just Wednesday, a federal judge upheld a Missouri law requiring protestors to stay at least 300 feet away from funeral sites.

But Westboro won a First Amendment victory in 2011 when the U.S. Supreme Court said church members couldn’t be sued for money damages for inflicting pain on grieving families.

Read more: Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps Sr. 'on the edge of death' - NY Daily News

Hell will welcome him with open arms.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

See ya, well I hope not!
    JWL likes this.

Elite Member

I wonder why they excommunicated him out of the church? Did he have pending-death epiphany about his behavior or something?

dead yet??
    Sojiita likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Can we push him?
    joebob likes this.
    The more people I encounter, the more I like my animals.

JWL

About time... good luck down there

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There have been suggestions that Ol' Fred was ousted and excommunicated because he had started advocating a softer approach (funny how that can happen when a person starts to realise that they are close to having to explain themselves to their particular God).

I'm going to be watching what happens with the remaining bigoted lunatics with curiosity and caution as I can't help but wonder if we'll see a modern day Hubbard > Miscaviage situation come about where the unthinkable happens and the new boss is actually colder, crazier and crueler than the old one.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I just shed the smallest tear...

wouldn't be hilarious if his own church protested at his funeral?
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; March 18th, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    joebob, Lalasnake, Annika and 3 others like this.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    There have been suggestions that Ol' Fred was ousted and excommunicated because he had started advocating a softer approach (funny how that can happen when a person starts to realise that they are close to having to explain themselves to their particular God).

I'm going to be watching what happens with the remaining bigoted lunatics with curiosity and caution as I can't help but wonder if we'll see a modern day Hubbard > Miscaviage situation come about where the unthinkable happens and the new boss is actually colder, crazier and crueler than the old one.

like shirley? she's a bona fide nutcase. and not afraid to brag about it.

Sounds like she's out of favour too.

"The excommunication occurred after the formation of a board of male elders in the church. The board had defeated Shirley Phelps-Roper, the church’s longtime spokeswoman, in a power struggle, and Fred Phelps Sr. called for kinder treatment of fellow church members."

"Drain as church spokesman marked a shift from Shirley Phelps-Roper, the former longtime church spokeswoman, who was clearly a leader and an influence in the church.
    Shirley Phelps-Roper and her sister, Margie Jean Phelps, represented the church as attorneys before the U.S. Supreme Court in the lawsuit originally filed by Albert Snyder, the father of a Marine who was killed in the war in Iraq in 2006. The church picketed the Marine’s funeral.
    Nate Phelps said he observed that Shirley Phelps-Roper had fallen from grace and wasn’t as visible in the church as she had been while Drain and Tim Phelps had become more visible. In recent months, calls made to Shirley Phelps-Roper by The Topeka Capital-Journal have been answered by Drain."

Elders excommunicate Phelps after power struggle, call for kindness within church | CJOnline.com
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Upity woman.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would like to nominate Brent D. Roper to succeed Bob Crane as the "world's most heterosexual man". His notable accomplishment making him eligible for this title is the fact that he impregnated Shirley 10 times.

I remember there was one interview posted recently with two members from the church and one of them you got the impression was probably a good, if stupid man who was just doing as he was told. The other, slightly older man was just mean as a snake. You get the impression if he didn't wind up hating people THIS way, he would have found another way to do it.

I have a feeling the latter type of person makes up the group running this shitshow and those types of people can hold control over the gullible group for a long time I hope they just melt into obscurity or fall apart, but I'm not so sure that's what will come to pass
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Dead yet?
    Janus, Sojiita and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information