Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cameron Diaz on why she refuses to 'defy nature'

Default Cameron Diaz on why she refuses to 'defy nature'

Cameron Diaz has railed against our obsession with youth and claimed women feel like they have ‘failed’ if they look old.
    The 41-year-old There’s Something About Mary star said that it is ‘crazy’ how women are under pressure to look like they are 25 even when they are more mature.
    She said that women ‘don’t give ourselves permission to age gracefully’ and that they are constantly told they have to ‘defy nature’.
    Diaz herself has in the past fallen victim to the guilt she describes and has had Botox which she regrets as it changed her face in a ‘weird way’.
    She had a nose job after breaking it four times and has spoken about her battle with acne, revealing that she tried everything from makeup to medication to make it go away.

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Diaz became the latest Hollywood star in recent weeks to talk about the process of aging.
    Diaz said: ‘For me I feel like if I - it is almost as if we have failed if we don't remain 25 for the rest of our lives.
    ‘Like we are failures. It is a personal failure. Like our fault that at 40 years old that I still don't look like I'm 25.’

Feigning indignation, she said: ‘Oh, I'm sorry. I apologise, I wasn't able to defy nature.’
    Diaz agreed with Winfrey that everyone's trying to be ‘back there,’ in the past.
    She said: ‘Women don't allow other women to age gracefully, and we don't give ourselves permission to age gracefully, everybody’s judging.’

Diaz, who has just released her lifestyle guide The Body Book, gave the interview weeks after Sharon Stone spoke out about how she ‘wanted to die’ when she put on weight in her 20s.
    The Basic Instinct star, 55, said that she cried uncontrollably after being taunted by men who wolf whistled at her curves and larger breasts.
    In a frank interview she also said that years later she suffered a relapse and teared up in the bathroom with a bottle of wine as she told herself: ‘I’m not coming out until I can totally accept the way I look.’

Read more: Cameron Diaz rails against society's obsession with youth | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I can't really get on board with a woman that is pushing book about accepting your body/aging, then airbrushes the sh*t of out the book's cover. (As well as gives nutrition advice/treating your body well - because, quite frankly, I believe the BI's that allude to her being a lush over the years)

Katy, urine danger, gurl! - BITTER

She said: ‘Women don't allow other women to age gracefully, and we don't give ourselves permission to age gracefully, everybody’s judging.’

The cover of your book that's photoshopped to hell and back really isn't helping women who deal with aging/self esteem issues either.

ETA: sorry, SoCal beat me to it

The picture on the right is a bad still, though. She doesn't look THAT bad.
    SoCalMarie and Butterfly like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Silver Member

i have never understood her fame AT ALL. the only time she was "stunning" was in her first film, The Mask, and even then she was just your typical 90s era Pam Anderson/Bobbi Brown Warrant video girl

every movie after that, she just went further and further downhill, yet continued to make more and more money and be higher up on the Hollywood totem pole. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    The picture on the right is a bad still, though. She doesn't look THAT bad.
    I agree, she doesn't look bad.
    I'm just trying to understand why she wrote this book in the first place. I like her intention, but she has zero credit when it advice about aging naturally/treating your body well.

And I'm not expert myself, but it looks as though she definitely had something (or a couple things, other than her nose job) done over the past couple years:

Does a neck lift typically make one look like a turtle? (serious question).... she as an odd face/neck shape in the far left photo...

And on a side note, why does Oprah insist on only using soft-focus lenses/cameras for her interviews?
    I thought that was only a Barbara Streisand thing.
    I always want to wipe my TV screen when watching OWN (because it looks so "cloudy").

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohJulia View Post
    i have never understood her fame AT ALL. the only time she was "stunning" was in her first film, The Mask, and even then she was just your typical 90s era Pam Anderson/Bobbi Brown Warrant video girl

every movie after that, she just went further and further downhill, yet continued to make more and more money and be higher up on the Hollywood totem pole. Why?
    The same reason every other moderately attractive/minimally talented celebrity is up there - luck. And good PR. She had a few early roles that people found charming and she carved out a career. I sometimes find that more impressive than the truly exceptional artists who make it big. Getting by on mediocrity is kind of admirable if you think about it, and she's been doing it a lot longer than the fifteen minutes most people with her skill set can achieve.

Still irrationally dislike her, though. I find her goofy and cartoonish, but to each their own.
    ShilohJulia and Belt Up like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

She was so cute. Now, not so much, and it's because she didn't allow herself to age gracefully.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    The same reason every other moderately attractive/minimally talented celebrity is up there - luck. And good PR. She had a few early roles that people found charming and she carved out a career. I sometimes find that more impressive than the truly exceptional artists who make it big. Getting by on mediocrity is kind of admirable if you think about it, and she's been doing it a lot longer than the fifteen minutes most people with her skill set can achieve.

Still irrationally dislike her, though. I find her goofy and cartoonish, but to each their own.
    Yep, hello Gloria Steinem! I don't mind Cameron Diaz at all though. She's had fillers too. The 'soft' face is a BIG mistake when trying to combat ageing.

Her face was never anything to write home about, but her body looks damn good.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm curious, has anyone on the board bought the book?
    I've seen a handful of interviews of her promoting it - and it seems like it's just health/beauty tips she found on Pinterest. (Coconut Oil is a natural skin moisturizer - who knew?!?! )
    ariesallover likes this.

I'm sure the book cover pic is at least 10 years old.
    Last edited by mtlebay; March 15th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    Go Habs Go!!

She looks like Rod Taylor in some of those pics in SoCalMarie's post.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMarie View Post
    I'm curious, has anyone on the board bought the book?
    I've seen a handful of interviews of her promoting it - and it seems like it's just health/beauty tips she found on Pinterest. (Coconut Oil is a natural skin moisturizer - who knew?!?! )
    i flipped thru it at Target and yea, it was your basic beauty and nutrition advice. nothing we don't already know.
    SoCalMarie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohJulia View Post

She was so beautiful in that movie. For years I never knew it was her, because she never looked like that again.

About this "pressure" to look 25. I dunno. Isn't looking young something people have always chased? Men and woman both? I admit that I really like looking younger than my age and I don't want that to end. I'm not thinking "oh, society wants me to look 25, I've failed if I don't." I'm not sure what she's advocating, here. Some people go way too far with botox, fillers & ps but those are the ones everyone notices. The vast majority of people do a little here and there and it's fine. Should everyone give that up in solidarity so that we can end this pressure?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information