Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Why Gloria Steinem Is Sticking Up for Jennifer Aniston

Default Why Gloria Steinem Is Sticking Up for Jennifer Aniston

Why Gloria Steinem Is Sticking Up for Jennifer Aniston

Why Gloria Steinem Is Sticking Up for Jennifer Aniston
    By Rebecca Zamer

Jennifer Aniston may be one of Tinsel town's most famous actresses, but ever since her marriage with Brad Pitt fell apart eight years ago, the media has been relentless. Now, Gloria Steinem is coming to her defense.

The 79-year-old, women's activist told People at Thursday night's premiere of the new HBO documentary, "Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life and Times of Katrina Gilbert," that Aniston's life can't compare to her own.

I can say whatever it is that I feel. But because of her art and because she is known for playing characters, by definition not herself I think it's more difficult for an actor like Jennifer to be understood as a unique human being."

The two women met when Aniston interviewed Steinem at February's MAKERS Conference, touching on gender diversity in Hollywood, feminism, and Steinem's impact on women's advancement.

While Aniston's life might be misunderstood by many, Steinem thinks that the 45-year-old actress is unfairly judged for not being married with children.

"What about George Clooney? Nobody brings that up, and he's much more ostentatiously unmarried with no kids but in a fine way."

Well, Aniston may not be judged for being unmarried much longer. After all, she is engaged to Justin Theroux. Check out this video to see what else Steinem had to say, and tune in to "The Insider" on TV tonight for the latest in entertainment news.
    KrisNine and ariesallover like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

EVERYBODY brings up Clooney. EVERY. BODY. He's been the butt of jokes at the Oscars for this very thing for crying out loud.
    Palermo, Novice, Sarzy and 1 others like this.

I think people do bring up Clooney, a lot. But, it almost seems like an "atta boy" type thing versus sad and spinster thing for JA.

I kind of avoid Aniston stories (not because I don't like her, but because I just think her most interesting gossip days are behind her and there never seems to be anything new going on), so I really have no idea how big of a deal the press still makes about her being unmarried and childless. But I will say this... I never even think about the fact that she has no kids until I see some headline or quote from her talking about how fine she is without kids. Maybe it's something she gets nagged about, but the only time I see it mentioned is when she's defending herself or someone else is rising up to defend her. I just wonder if she's kind of (needlessly) paranoid about it and unconsciously perpetuating the cycle. Bringing it up because she thinks people are bothered by it. Because it's not a big deal.
    Belt Up, SHELLEE, sparkles and 1 others like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I think people do bring up Clooney, a lot. But, it almost seems like an "atta boy" type thing versus sad and spinster thing for JA.
    Tell that to Tina Fey and Amy P.

JA hasn't really got a story so that's why it keeps being brought up - by her camp as much as anyone else looking for an angle.

Kate Hepburn, Julie Christie and Jacqueline Bisset never had kids either, and they didn't seem to elicit a lot of criticism for doing so. I think that there are a few other child-free actresses out there that were/are not scrutinized for not having kids. Hepburn said from the get go that she'd never be a mother.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

I'm most amazed at the comments at the original link deriding Steinem as a 'lesbian', a woman that wrecked women in america, a man hater, etc.

I thought that troglodyte anti feminists were a dying breed, but apparently not.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I believe there is a resurgence of anti feminists. I blame it on the fact that women and minorities are better educated these days and are being rewarded with management positions. White men are losing power and they have to blame someone.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

czb

^^^ ironically, some of the most vocal anti-feminists i know of are women. it seems that in some social circles, there is a swing back to the 1950s.
    ikmccall, Novice and sluce like this.

Yes but women have always been the biggest obstacle for equal rights. We say we want equal but then we get pissed when a woman does better than our husbands. LOL
    Novice and ariesallover like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ^^^ ironically, some of the most vocal anti-feminists i know of are women. it seems that in some social circles, there is a swing back to the 1950s.
    What I find confusing is that the resurrection of June Cleaver I've experienced is often among educated crunchy granolers in liberal cities and towns. I wish I could learn more about this phenomenon ... and whether it's just my perception or what. I mean I lived it, and was surrounded by it, but is it as widespread as it seemed to me?
    Flygirl likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I agree with Shinola that it is more common among highly educated women but around here it is not the crunchy granolers. It's the highly educated, former executives, who have now decided to stay home with their kids. They spend 90% of each conversation telling you how their spouse and kids are so successful. When you ask about the work they did before staying home they shut you down saying it was not nearly as rewarding as being a wife and mother. That's great but I didn't ask for a comparison. They are usually the same moms who insist that the PTA planning meetings happen during the day thereby excluding working parents. I don't get it. I support every women making a choice based on what is best for them and their families.
    sputnik, Novice, Kittylady and 2 others like this.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    What I find confusing is that the resurrection of June Cleaver I've experienced is often among educated crunchy granolers in liberal cities and towns. I wish I could learn more about this phenomenon ... and whether it's just my perception or what. I mean I lived it, and was surrounded by it, but is it as widespread as it seemed to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I agree with Shinola that it is more common among highly educated women but around here it is not the crunchy granolers. It's the highly educated, former executives, who have now decided to stay home with their kids. They spend 90% of each conversation telling you how their spouse and kids are so successful. When you ask about the work they did before staying home they shut you down saying it was not nearly as rewarding as being a wife and mother. That's great but I didn't ask for a comparison. They are usually the same moms who insist that the PTA planning meetings happen during the day thereby excluding working parents. I don't get it. I support every women making a choice based on what is best for them and their families.
    around here, i see this in BOTH crunchy granola types and former executives. both groups that i've seen are typically well educated. but what kills me is how competitive the former execs get about being a good parent and doing so much for their kid.

it's amazing i have any friends at all. and yes, maybe my social life would improve if i bought an ipad.
    witchcurlgirl, sluce and Novice like this.

Well I live in one of the most liberal, crunchy towns you'll find in middle America. There is absolutely this surge of stay at home moms. God bless them. Seriously. Our school is a private school so there are a lot of gaps to fill with volunteers. Without all of them, we'd be at a loss. When I was about to go back to work after having my youngest, one of them came up to me and asked how I was feeling about going back to work. I mentioned I felt some guilt about not being around school to help as much. She got in my face, told me she felt fortunate to be in this position, and that it was their duty to support those of us who choose (or have) to work. It was one of the nicest things anyone has said to me about parenting.

Women need to stop shitting on each other. Women's rights mean we get to choose our own path and decide what makes us effective in life. Quite honestly, if I would have known then what I know now, I'd have quit my job in a heartbeat. Nothing is more important than parenting and I see 1000 ways I could have used my time to help my kids, our school and my community. Instead, I chose to continue in my job. I know what I do means something to people who are hurt, but I'll never make the same impact on them that I could have made on my children if I'd have been home with them. My God, that was hard to write.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information