Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Lily Allen: ‘I don’t think men are the enemy, I think women are the enemy’

Default Lily Allen: ‘I don’t think men are the enemy, I think women are the enemy’

She’s not a girly-girl, obviously: “I’m not an archetypal woman. All my best friends are boys.”

Gender relations:
    “It’s much the same. But I don’t think men are the enemy, I think women are the enemy. I know that when I’m sitting in a restaurant and a really beautiful woman walks in, who’s skinny, I instinctively think, “Oh she’s really skinny and beautiful and I’m really fat and ugly.” Every man I speak to always says they find that kind of woman gross, and they prefer a bit more meat on their ladies. So it’s more of a competitive thing. It’s weird. It’s just really unhealthy and we’re our own worst enemy. We should stop being so horrible to each other.”

The song “Sheezus” name-checks Katy Perry & Rita Ora:
    “It just dribbled out! It’s not supposed to be provocative and it’s not attacking anyone, although it does namecheck a few people. It’s about how girls are pitted against each other, unlike men. I know you had it in the Nineties with Blur versus Oasis, but it’s not the same thing. It’s like ‘Who looks the best?’, ‘You’re getting too old to do this, you shouldn’t be doing that’. There seems to be a moral undertone when women are concerned that doesn’t happen with men, and that’s what that song is about. Stop this now [laughs]. Feminism. I hate that word because it shouldn’t even be a thing any more. We’re all equal, everyone is equal so why is there even a conversation about feminism? What’s the man version of feminism? There isn’t even a word for it. There’s no reason for it. Menanism. Male-ism. It doesn’t exist… Fast-forward 100 years: ‘Yes, I do believe men should be treated equally.’”

Social media:
    “It’s a burden in the sense that there are people that take what I’ve brought as a marketing tool for them. And I don’t think you should use Twitter to sell records. MySpace was great because it had a music player on it, and I was able to change things around the whole time and show people how the album developed. Twitter is saved on my phone – along with Instagram – under ‘waste of time’. I only use it if I’m sat in the car for half an hour just to nose around. But it’s kind of stupid, isn’t it? And fun at the same time. Like crack.”

[From Shortlist]

Cele|bitchy | Lily Allen: ‘I don’t think men are the enemy, I think women are the enemy’

So you think women should be kinder to each other, stop attacking each other and then you say women are the enemy. Oh fuck off you vapid little shit. Stop trying to sound smart and worldly, it's not working.

And this: "Feminism. I hate that word because it shouldn’t even be a thing any more. We’re all equal, everyone is equal so why is there even a conversation about feminism? What’s the man version of feminism? There isn’t even a word for it. There’s no reason for it. Menanism. Male-ism. It doesn’t exist… Fast-forward 100 years: ‘Yes, I do believe men should be treated equally.’”

Seriously. We're all equal? Everywhere? Really? No reason for feminism out there, no reason at all? REALLY?!?

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

^ Yeah, this!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

“I’m not an archetypal woman. All my best friends are boys.”
    So many women brag about this - like it's an achievement of some sort - to the point that it is typical.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Unpopular opinion: I don't like the word feminism either. Or maybe I hate what it has become today on Tumblr.
    BelledeJour likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    So many women brag about this - like it's an achievement of some sort - to the point that it is typical.
    ^this. Plus I'm usually a little wary of the women who say all their friends are guys and they just can't get along with girls, attributing the reason to girls being catty or bitchy to them or whatever. In my experience it's because they're the catty/bitchy and hyper-competitive ones. Which, she says women are so mean to each other yet says "men" say thin women are gross and need meat on them.
    Last edited by Brah; March 8th, 2014 at 11:30 PM.

God she goes on AGAIN about how Twitter is a waste of time yet she spends quite a bit of time on it! She did disappear for a while after having her kids but as soon as she started to make music again she was back on it. I kind of see what she is saying on the women front, we are competitive and definitely more critical and bitchy but it's hard to take her point to seriously when she mocked Nicola from Girls Aloud as being 'The ugly one' then cried when Cheryl Cole called her a 'Chick with a dick' in response. (I am so fucking sad for remembering this shit!)
    Belt Up and scarlett like this.

Or better yet, Lily Allen:

My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I know she has to shill her album and she is everywhere at the moment with her Kelly Osbourne look but the less she actually says, the better. Disenchanted with education, went to 13 different schools, expelled etc. and now she can't make sense.

Whats the man version of feminism?
    It's called 'society'.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's called 'society'.
    I had to log in just so I could 'like' this.

she's not very eloquent, is she? she probably didn't even finish high school either so i don't know why people are even asking her about serious stuff. as for not liking the word feminism, i've heard that before, coming from women who are put off by the label but who are themselves feminists, for all effects and purposes. i used to think society/the media was to blame for demonising it and portraying feminists as angry, hairy wildebeests but after spending time on jezebel i've come to the conclusion that it's the movement that's managed to kind of shoot itself in the foot and alienate a lot of allies. i definitely consider myself a feminist but when i see 'professional' feminists basically tearing to shreds people who frankly mean well, for stupid little things like not using the 'correct' PC terminology or perfectly framing everything they do and say to fit the cause, it does make me want to throw in the towel and wonder if we really are our own worst enemies.

i feel like somewhere, in lily allen's quote, if you try really hard to forget the stupid, there's a grain of truth that basically goes in that direction, and it's true that women are really hard on each other, and on ourselves, but what this chick doesn't get is why. it's what happens when for thousands of years, your worth as a human is determined by your looks and your ability to produce children, half of humanity has pretty much been commodified. that's not to say that i think individual men are the enemy either. it's our whole societal construct that has to be reexamined and changed so that it's not perpetuating that same model in different ways. and yes a lot of things have changed but she's kidding herself if she thinks we are equal and that we can stop fighting for women's rights.

i think also if she's rejecting the feminist label so much is that feminist media has been very hard on celebs like her and miley cyrus, unfairly so IMO since they're no worse than katy perry and gaga and all the rest and their only crime is being white and growing up privileged. they've been called racists for having black dancers onstage and miley for 'cultural appropriation' for adopting 'black' dance moves. uh, hello, pretty sure they're all black dance movies since white people aren't exactly known for their moves, ya know? that's what i mean about feminism shooting itself in the foot and falling into the same trap that it's accusing lily allen of and being particularly harsh and judgemental of other women for no good reason.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's called 'society'.
    Genius.

I'm not a huge fan of hers, and I don't think women are the enemy, but I do agree with some of what she says, based on how I interpret it from whatever language she's speaking. On the one hand, I think sometimes women keep ourselves collectively fucked over by believing in a different standard of morality for ourselves than for men. On the other, I can sort of imagine why women feel a need to keep themselves and other women in check in the context of patriarchy. As I said, I don't think women are the enemy--I do think women are pretty fierce. The women I know are more edgy and intense than the men I know. The people I've been most truly in awe of of relationally in my life were women. There is this cultural message and image about women that they are good and nurturing. Which we are, but ... yeah. Women = fearsome to me, but in a good way. And if LA is happy to say that her best friends are guys, that's okay with me, she has the right. But I'm super proud to say that I have some very close women friends and really love cool women, their strength ... and their pain too.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Lily gurrrl, you need to READ.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information