• 1 Post By Seth82
  • 1 Post By Seth82
  • 1 Post By whitetigeress

Thread: Jim Lange, Host of "The Dating Game", Dies at 81

Default Jim Lange, Host of "The Dating Game", Dies at 81

'Dating Game' Host Jim Lange Dies at 81

By Suzy Byrne 20 minutes ago Yahoo TV

View photo
    The Dating Game host Jim Lange has died. (Everett Collection)

Jim Lange, who played matchmaker to many as the original host of "The Dating Game," has died.His wife, Nancy Fleming, told The Associated Press that he passed away Tuesday after suffering a heart attack at his Mill Valley, California, home. He was 81.
    Lange started out in radio, then made the jump to TV as the announcer and sidekick to Tennessee Ernie Ford on "The Ford Show" in 1962.
    However, he'll best be remembered as host of "The Date Game," which debuted in 1965. The game show format had a bachelorette or bachelor asking a series of questions to three potential love interests, who were out view, to find the best match. Based on their responses, a suitor would be picked and then the twosome would go on a date paid for by the show.
    Occasionally, there were celebrity guests on the show as well, including Michael Jackson, Steve Martin, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and "Brady Bunch's" Maureen McCormick and Barry Williams.
    Several stars, including Farrah Fawcett, Suzanne Somers, and John Ritter, appeared as contestants before becoming famous. The late Ritter was especially funny a drama student at the time, he mugged for the camera in a very Jack Tripper way. Fawcett was "a former beauty title holder" and aspiring artist, who "hoped to own her own gallery."

Lange, who had a smooth voice, was known for being professional and moving the show along, but he also showed his humorous side, lobbing jokes especially ones about love and dating throughout each episode. He remained as host until 1980.
    Lange, who was a Minnesota native, went on to host other game shows including "$100,000 Name That Tune," "Bullseye," and "The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime."
    He also made appearances as himself on shows including "Bewitched," where he played the host of the fictional TV show "Sweetheart Parade," and "Laverne & Shirley" in an episode during which the girls auditioned for the show... and Lenny and Squiggy ended up as the contestants.

For four decades, Lange also worked as a disc jockey in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area.
    He is survived by his second wife, a former Miss America whom he married in 1978, a sister, five children, two stepchildren, and four grandchildren.

'Dating Game' Host Jim Lange Dies at 81 | Yahoo TV - Yahoo TV
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Farrah Fawcett on The Dating Game:

MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

John Ritter:

And of course, Ugly Wanda on The Dating Game (from In Living Color).

Damn another one bites the dust. RIP.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Hey, how about Karen Carpenter? I know that she wasn't a raving beauty but I love her. And boy did she get the pick of the litter with the bachelor contestants. Especially, check out Bachelor #1's responses....

Bluebonnet likes this.

Remember how they would all stand by each other at the end of the show and blow a big kiss to the camera?

Lord, I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Remember how they would all stand by each other at the end of the show and blow a big kiss to the camera?
    That was the FIRST thing I thought about when I read this. By the way, check out Andy Kaufman's appearance on the show. It's awesome:

sluce likes this.

a young Michael Jackson was even on this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Greg Brady also appeared on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

And Pee Wee Herman. By the way, this is from 1979, before anyone had hear of him, so you can imagine what everyone's reaction was. His answer to his question is hilarious:

Oh, damn. This one makes me really sad.

Hair was so shiny in the 70's lol
    That was such a great show !

Another one passed?! Sheesh, was there not enough entertainment up in heaven that they had to start plucking em like crazy from here?
    It seems that way lately
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Thread Information