Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Mayim Bialik on Public Breastfeeding: It's Not Sexual

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Mayim Bialik on Public Breastfeeding: It's Not Sexual

Mayim Bialik is speaking out about her decision to breastfeed in public.

The actress sat down with HuffPost Live to discuss her parenting style and address the criticism she got after nursing her son in public.

"I received a tremendous amount of backlash. What I like to point out is that was the best way for that subway ride to be pleasant for everyone. It was the end of a very long day."

"That was not a weak moment of parenting but a conscious decision of, 'I have the best way to make this child happy and content right now," she went on.

The mom of two also talked about the society's sexualized attitude towards the act of breastfeeding:

"Our culture has a very, very bizarre relationship with breasts. Breastfeeding is not a sexual act. It's an intimate act, and that makes some people uncomfortable, but it's completely normal to have all of the human hormones that are released when you breastfeed regulating your relationship with your child."

"When I was nursing, I didn't feel the need to be immodest, but I also feel like that's going to vary from woman to woman. I would try to be absolutely respectful and conscious of the community I was in," she explained.

The Big Bang Theory star has been a vocal proponent of attachment parenting, and she blogs about her motherhood experiences and thoughts on Kveller.com.

Source

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Mayim Bialik on Public Breastfeeding: It's Not Sexual
    spinmonkey likes this.

You know what? You go, Mayim.

I understand both sides of the issue, I guess. But I also think that if this were Heidi Klum deciding to feed in public, there wouldn't be nearly the backlash from the general public. Yes, non famous people get picked on for BFing in public too. I know that.

There is a lot about Mayim's child rearing decisions I wouldn't do myself. That's cool, cause they're HER kids, not mine. But I also believe her to be a very brilliant young woman.
    chartreuse, nana51, sluce and 1 others like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

I don't have an issue with her breastfeeding in public,....I just had issue with how long she did it. If they are entering school...it is WAY to long.

I like Mayim. She may annoy people but she seems like a good parent. Sure, maybe she breastfeed a wee bit too long. At least she's there for her kids.

Seriously, if there are people that think public breastfeeding is sexual, well, they're idiots and there's no convincing otherwise.

^^ I agree. Kooky, but harmless.
    KrisNine likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

People are just reacting over breastfeeding a post-pubescent in public....
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Listen - I agree that breastfeeding a 3 year old is too much... for ME! For some reason, I want to defend her right to raise her kids as she see fits. Yes, they sleep in her bed, don't wear diapers, etc... it's called attachment parenting for a reason. I didn't do it, nor would I want to. But I feel like she loves her children very much and is doing the best she can for them. I truly believe she IS doing what she feels is best FOR her children. I like that she hasn't caved to the hollywood pressure to lose weight, get plastic surgery and pawn your kids off on a nanny. Good on her, she doesn't just talk the talk, she's walking the walk.
    Flygirl, KrisNine, McJag and 4 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I think some women take breast feeding far beyond the point where it's needed by the child and becomes more of a thing that Mom can't let go of and I hate the way that some women are being pressured and shamed because they can't or don't want to breastfeed but aside from that I don't have a problem with it and would rather see a baby attached to a boob than have my eardrums shattered while trapped on a bus or train with them.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Breastfeeding. Not a big deal, a way to get food. I'm not into extended BF but have seen it a lot in a couple of Granolavilles, and those kids turned out fine and it's not my business.

(I will admit I don't love seeing tons of boob, but I know it isn't always easy to be totally discreet.)
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

She was a great interview on Howard. Really explained what she does and hey it works for her. Go Amy Farrah Fowler!
    Mel1973 likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

She has a doctorate in neuroscience! I came across that little fact while I was looking up some information on the condition PWS. She did her dissertation on that, apparently. Good for her.
    McJag likes this.

She was on Real Time last week and she's a sharp cookie. I really do like her.
    Brookie likes this.

I don't think Mayim should have to defend her parenting choices. It's not like she's whoring out her kids for $ and snorting coke with them.

I breastfed and support those that do and those that don't.

But there is this one woman who I see at my daughter's gym that makes me cringe. She is still breastfeeding her 3 year old (ok, I'll leave that alone) and since he's walking and talking, he'll just go up to her, unbutton her shirt and start feeding. Sometimes he gets distracted and walks away, and she leaves her boob out while she calls him back or starts to chase him around. Sometimes she just stands there and continues to talk to you while exposed. She's a real granola type that smells like patchouli and comes across as daring someone to say something.
    Bombshell likes this.

first of all, it's just a boob. get the fuck over it.

but most importantly, even if you are one of the assholes who takes issue with public breastfeeding, i ask you, what's worse: accidental boob or a crying kid? pretty sure everyone (except the taliban) would take the boob over the crying.
    Kittylady and badgers! like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

i think she's whack but harmless. and i personally don't care about BF in public or anywhere else. but there ARE some people who do - there is definitely a group of BF fetishists and websites that are dedicated to that. do. not. understand. blech

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information