• 1 Post By manningmsj
  • 8 Post By Tiny Pixie
  • 1 Post By Bombshell
  • 1 Post By gas_chick
  • 1 Post By ConstanceSpry
  • 1 Post By holly
  • 5 Post By Flygirl
  • 1 Post By Bombshell

Thread: Liam Neeson opens up about his grief after wife Natasha Richardson's death

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Liam Neeson opens up about his grief after wife Natasha Richardson's death

Liam Neeson has spoken of his ongoing grief following the tragic death of his wife, actress Natasha Richardson, five years ago in a freak skiing accident.

The actor told CBS's Anderson Cooper that her death at the age of 45 still doesn't seem real in a poignant interview that will air Sunday on 60 Minutes.

Neeson, 61, told Cooper how he arrived at a Canadian hospital to be told by doctors that Richardson was brain dead after her accident.

Loving couple: Neeson seen with wife Natasha Richardson in 2007 at a screening of Seraphim Falls in New York

'She was on life support... I went in to her and I told her I loved her, said "Sweetie, you're not coming back from this, you've banged your head"' he said.

'She and I had made a pact, if any of us got into a vegetative state that we'd pull the plug. That was my immediate thought,"Okay, these tubes have to go. She's gone."'

The Irish actor married Richardson in 1994 and the couple had two sons.

Taking comfort: Neeson is pleased that Richardson's organs have helped three people live

Sad day: Neeson comforts Natasha Richardson's mother, actress Vanessa Regrave

He said that even today, he expects Richardson to come walking through the door.

'[Her death] was never real,' he told Cooper.

'It still kind of isn't. There's periods now in our New York residence when I hear the door opening, especially the first couple of years... anytime I hear that door opening, I still think I'm going to hear her.'

Neeson told Cooper his grief is less immediate but still a part of his life.

'It hits you. It's like a wave. You just get this profound feeling of instability... the Earth isn't stable anymore and then it passes and it becomes more infrequent, but I still get it sometimes.'

Following Richardson's accident, Neeson kept his wife on life support for a short time so that her family and friends could say goodbye.

Now, he says, Richardson is living on in three other people.

'Donated three of her organs, so she's keeping three people alive at the moment. Her heart, her kidneys and her liver. It's terrific and I think she would be very thrilled and pleased by that,' he said.

Cooper interviewed Neeson in the lead-up to the release of his latest film, Non Stop, which premieres next week.

The actor said he's bemused to still be playing the action hero at his age.

'I'm 61 years of age, man, you know? Going around, fighting these guys, yeah, I feel a wee bit embarrassed, you know?

Read more: Liam Neeson opens up about his grief after wife Natasha Richardson's death in a freak skiing accident | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: Liam Neeson opens up about his grief after wife Natasha Richardson's death in a freak skiing accident | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

gas_chick and ariesallover like this.

That woman had the most precious gift anyone can have. She was truly loved. He made a great decision at the worst time of his life. He was her hero and protector right to the end and even beyond.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I still can't look at him without getting depressed. Her death was so sudden and... Unnervingly sublunary, if that makes sense. Just a tragic accident, that could have happened to anyone.

But I do love him. He did right by her and their kids when she died and it's great that her organs were donated. It's strange, but I think he makes me sad because he handled it so well and pulled through. Because it's so obvious how much he loved her, and how hard it must have been.
    ariesallover likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

That's love. No bullshit, just pure love.
    Jazzy, SoCalMarie, Icepik and 5 others like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

This whole thing still makes me choke up. I remember when it happened and since I live in Canada, it was all over the news. His love for her was, and is, palpable.

I adore him. He's a great man, who loved a wonderful woman.
    SoCalMarie likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Damn onions. Love Liam.
    manningmsj likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I like Liam, too! And I enjoyed Natasha in many movies over the years. You can tell they really loved each other. So sad,...but I am glad he honored her wishes and helped out others from a tragic accident.

No way, that was 5 years ago?? Seems like a couple of years at most.
    holly likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    No way, that was 5 years ago?? Seems like a couple of years at most.
    I know...time goes by so fast.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

'She was on life support... I went in to her and I told her I loved her, said "Sweetie, you're not coming back from this, you've banged your head"' he said.
    'She and I had made a pact, if any of us got into a vegetative state that we'd pull the plug. That was my immediate thought,"Okay, these tubes have to go. She's gone."'
    Following Richardson's accident, Neeson kept his wife on life support for a short time so that her family and friends could say goodbye.

Now, he says, Richardson is living on in three other people.
    'Donated three of her organs, so she's keeping three people alive at the moment. Her heart, her kidneys and her liver. It's terrific and I think she would be very thrilled and pleased by that,' he said.
    Take note, State of Texas and McMahon family. This is how you love and respect the deceased.

It's so sad, but in a way it's a testament to their relationship that he's coped with it so well. Men were truly happy and well-loved often have successful marriages after being widowed.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by nonorehab View Post
    it's so sad, but in a way it's a testament to their relationship that he's coped with it so well. Men were truly happy and well-loved often have successful marriages after being widowed.
    dibs!
    Flygirl likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Thread Information