Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Brian May says Princes William and Harry hunting makes him feel 'sick'

Default Brian May says Princes William and Harry hunting makes him feel 'sick'

+3
    Former Queen guitarist Brian May has slammed Princes William and Harry for going hunting

Rocker Brian May has attacked Princes William and Harry following reports of both going on hunting trips just weeks before pledging to save Africa’s critically endangered wildlife.
    The 66-year-old former Queen guitarist has spoken out against the two young royals, comparing their hunting to 19th century supporters of slavery and saying their slaughter of animals is ‘inhumane’ and that it ‘sickened’ him.
    The Princes returned earlier this month from a hunting holiday on the estate of William's godfather, the Duke of Westminster in Cordoba, Spain where they shot wild boar and stags.
    Harry has also faced criticism over a recently emerged photo of him brandishing a gun and smiling over the body of a water buffalo.
    Both Princes are outspoken supporters of international efforts to stop illegal poaching, attended the conference on the Illegal Wildlife Trade on Thursday with their father Prince Charles to discuss ways to save endangered wildlife.

Speaking to The Sun's Natalie Edwards, the rocker-turned-activist said: ‘it made me feel sick. This is right at the heart of the problem we are looking at in this government.
    ‘It’s the whole attitude of the privileged classes – you can rescue rhinos and elephants in Africa but kill at will anything you want if you’re rich.
    ‘It’s not logical, justifiable or humane and is the same as people in the 19th century trying to justify slavery.’

+3
    Worries: Speaking at a conference on Thursday, Charles - flanked by his two sons - warned that the imminent extinction of some of the world's most precious species would have 'dire consequences for humanity'

+3
    Croucing over the body of a water buffalo: The picture was taken in November 2004, when the then 20-year-old was on a gap year trip to South America shortly before he enrolled at Sandhurst military academy

It is worth noting that though William and Harry hunt, there is no suggestion that they have ever shot an animal illegally or any endangered species.
    The musician, who received a CBE from the Palace, made the controversial comments just days after Prince William also reportedly promised to destroy all the ivory from the Royal Collection at Buckingham Palace.
    The Duke of Cambridge, 31, is said to want to act in the hope that it will ‘send a message’ to illegal elephant poachers and encourage other heads of state to follow suit.
    The priceless collection includes around 1,200 items which contain ivory – from fans and miniatures to a throne from India presented to Queen Victoria with elephant-ivory plaques.
    Jane Goodall, a veteran primatologist, said she had spoken to the Prince and he declared he would ‘like to see all the ivory owned by Buckingham Palace destroyed’.

Read more: Brian May slams Prince William and Prince Harry for hunting holiday | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    ConstanceSpry and Brookie like this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

He is probably concerned that they might take a shot at that thing on his head.

I am no royalιst at all,but fix that dead animal on your head dude..it makes ME sick!
    Last edited by effie2; February 17th, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    msdeb, Linne, Squish and 3 others like this.

Elite Member

Did he compare hunting to slavery? He should hop on his bicycle and stfu!
    GRuser1 and Bluebonnet like this.

Ohhh blah blah blah get a haircut and stfu
    Kathie_Moffett and joebob like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Of all the things about them that make me sick, this ranks pretty low on the list.

The water buffalo pic is disgusting and trophy hunting sucks, whether it's an endangered or non-endangered animals and whether Joe Blow or prince harry does it.
    Froogy, Squish, Alysheba and 9 others like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Did he compare hunting to slavery?
    No, he didn't. Try re-reading it.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    The water buffalo pic is disgusting and trophy hunting sucks, whether it's an endangered or non-endangered animals and whether Joe Blow or prince harry does it.
    So... In a very poor country excess population needs to be culled, there are X number of very rich people (in comparison) that will pay $x to shoot the beasts that need culling, which will give the wildlife reserve enough income to function for another 1-5 years & therefore save, heal & protect any number of other animals. What are you going to do? Get the rich to pay to cull the excess or go bankrupt & risk losing all the animals to poachers?

I'm not saying it's a good choice but it is a real economic one.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    No, he didn't. try re-reading it.
    He basically did.

Comparing hunting to supporting slavery is basically the same as comparing it to slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    So... In a very poor country excess population needs to be culled, there are X number of very rich people (in comparison) that will pay $x to shoot the beasts that need culling, which will give the wildlife reserve enough income to function for another 1-5 years & therefore save, heal & protect any number of other animals. What are you going to do? Get the rich to pay to cull the excess or go bankrupt & risk losing all the animals to poachers?

I'm not saying it's a good choice but it is a real economic one.

Killing animals to save the species makes absolutely no sense to me. Why do they have "excess" and "need" to be culled? In most cases, because of shrinking habitat due to human encroachment/overpopulation, and the problems related to that. The solution is not to decrease animals numbers, but to control human population growth and encroachment unless we want a planet populated by nothing but humans and strip malls and housing developments. And as for rich assholes paying for trophy hunts, they could just as easily donate a bunch of their pocket change to keep the reserves going.

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    He basically did.

Comparing hunting to supporting slavery is basically the same as comparing it to slavery.
    No, it's comparing it to supporting slavery.
    Lots of folk (in olden times, like when WCG & I were young) people in Britain supported slavery as the status quo, but did not have slaves themselves. There is a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Killing animals to save the species makes absolutely no sense to me. Why do they have "excess" and "need" to be culled? In most cases, because of shrinking habitat due to human encroachment/overpopulation, and the problems related to that. The solution is not to decrease animals numbers, but to control human population growth and encroachment unless we want a planet populated by nothing but humans and strip malls and housing developments. And as for rich assholes paying for trophy hunts, they could just as easily donate a bunch of their pocket change to keep the reserves going.
    1 I'm not saying they're killing them to.save the species
    2 I can't help that you don't get it
    3 zebras don't live in strip malls
    4 there are only finate resources for these animals in their natural habitat.
    5 Culling animals due to over gestation used to be nature's task but in reserves etc these animals have no natural predators.
    6 Wild boar/hogs are very invasive, dangerous & have no natural prediture (now) other than man.
    7 I used to work closely with conservationist so probably see it as something that needs to be sustained rather than something fluffy & furry & cute.
    8 Foxes have no natural prediture in the UK (except man)& I am dreding the morning I get up & he's killed all my chickens for the fun of it.
    Lalique, McJag and witchcurlgirl like this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    No, it's comparing it to supporting slavery.
    Lots of folk (in olden times, like when WCG & I were young) people in Britain supported slavery as the status quo, but did not have slaves themselves. There is a big difference.

1 I'm not saying they're killing them to.save the species
    Okay,then, to quote what you wrote to "save, heal, and protect other animals"
    2 I can't help that you don't get it
    I get it alright, instead of donating outright, kill and brag about it then claim how much good your money did and how you gave all the giraffe and elephant meat to needy villagers. Again, why not donate upfront from your mega millions?
    3 zebras don't live in strip malls
    Exactly my point
    4 there are only finate resources for these animals in their natural habitat.
    their natural habitat would have plenty of resources if it wasn't for human encroachment
    5 Culling animals due to over gestation used to be nature's task but in reserves etc these animals have no natural predators.
    Exactly, and why? Because they've been wiped out by humans and therefore there is a human-caused imbalance, which needs to be fixed by balancing human population with that of other species.
    6 Wild boar/hogs are very invasive, dangerous & have no natural prediture (now) other than man.
    Again, wild boar and hogs are invasive because of humans, not nature.
    7 I used to work closely with conservationist so probably see it as something that needs to be sustained rather than something fluffy & furry & cute.
    I don't find water buffalo furry or fluffy or cute.
    8 Foxes have no natural prediture in the UK (except man)& I am dreding the morning I get up & he's killed all my chickens for the fun of it.
    I don't know enough about the fox situation to comment on it. But considering how many humans kill for the fun of it (see above) I am not going to condemn an animal, which lives by instinct and does not reason like a human should, for doing the same
    Alysheba likes this.

Since we cannot cull people and most of the world is overpopulated there must be culling,and yes, it will save the remainder as healthy animals.
    Deer and wild pigs are cull targets here. On good years they over populate. On bad years they starve and are pitiful.
    Coyotes (I can hear them howl at night) are mostly trapped and relocated. No one can eat them.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^It's not too late, we can still control human population growth and re-establish a better balance.
    As for wild hogs and deer, I can understand the point of killing starving and suffering ones. But, for some creep to pay a small fortune to blow away a rhino or elephant or whatever and to claim they are just doing it to help animals is obscene.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information