Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Faye Dunaway Was A Nightmare During Making Of “Mommie Dearest,” Remembers Costar

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Faye Dunaway Was A Nightmare During Making Of “Mommie Dearest,” Remembers Costar

You can put this on record: Faye made life very difficult. [Costume designer] Irene Sharaff, who had come out of retirement to do it, said, ‘That woman is on cocaine!’ She walked off the film midway and said, ‘I’m going back to New York and not returning, because of Faye. I have never walked off a movie in my entire career… You can enter Faye Dunaway’s dressing room, but first throw a raw steak in there to distract her.’ I never saw any drug use, but I saw the erratic behavior and mood swings, which happen for a reason.”

“My first day on the set with her, she did the upstage routine where she made sure that my face was not on camera, an old theater trick. I couldn’t believe it –– she’s the star! I couldn’t complain to our director Frank Perry, a sweet man who’d lost control of his set, so I decided to help her upstage me. I upstaged myself all day long, and then she kind of relaxed. So, after that she was a little more gentle with me, but I also learned to get out of the way and hide a lot [laughs]. I’m sure if I stayed around long enough I’d be under fire, too. She has that tremendous insecurity where everyone’s competition when you’re the star.”

– Rutanya Alda, who played Joan Crawford’s loyal assistant Carol Ann in the unforgettable film version of Mommie Dearest, speaking about famously temperamental star Faye Dunaway in an interview with Gay City News

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Faye Dunaway Was A Nightmare During Making Of “Mommie Dearest,” Remembers Costar

Source

I fucking love this movie.

ETA-Somebody posted this on ONTD. I thought it was funny.

<strong><strong><strong><strong>
    Last edited by mjw; February 13th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.
    darksithbunny, MrsDark and rollo like this.

Is there any dirt on her working on other pictures? I'm just wondering because I worked with an actor once who was IN CHARACTER offstage/onstage the entire run of the show...and then went back to normal afterwards. It was weird and I watched him do it for a couple of different roles, but I know there are some actors who do that. Could it be that Faye was just REALLY in character or is there frequent buzz about her behavior? If there is, it's always been under my radar.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

mjw
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Is there any dirt on her working on other pictures? I'm just wondering because I worked with an actor once who was IN CHARACTER offstage/onstage the entire run of the show...and then went back to normal afterwards. It was weird and I watched him do it for a couple of different roles, but I know there are some actors who do that. Could it be that Faye was just REALLY in character or is there frequent buzz about her behavior? If there is, it's always been under my radar.
    Here are some stories about her:

How bad did it get between this diva and this director on the set of this 1974 classic? According to Peter Biskind's book 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls,' when Dunaway asked for her character's motivation, Polanski would shout, "'Say the f*cking words. Your salary is your motivation.' Things came to a head, literally, when Polanski objected to a wayward hair of hers that was ruining a shot and instead of asking her to tuck it out of the way, simply plucked it from her head.

Their enmity escalated into one of the most infamous on-set incidents of all time: Polanski wouldn't let the actress take a break during a scene in her car, although she desperately needed to pee, so Dunaway threw a coffee cup full of urine in Polanski's face.

5 Infamous Actor-Director Fights - The Moviefone Blog

"People despised Faye," she tells the BAR. "Joan got her way in a ladylike way. Faye was despised because she was so rude to people. Everyone was on pins and needles when she worked, and everyone relaxed when she didn't. I wish Faye had learned from Joan."

Which is to say, Dunaway's behavior was so bad that she needed to learn manners from the bipolar, child-abusing actress whom she was portraying. Yikes. Doesn't get more damning than that.

No wait, it does!

Expressing how Dunaway "has no humor in her life," Ald went on to recall how the noted actress shut down production for an entire week and also "wanted a producer credit for her boyfriend Terry O'Neill, even though he had nothing to do with the film's production."
    'People Despised Faye': Tales From The Set Of Mommie Dearest: SFist

Sorry, if you didn't let me pee, I'd throw a cup of piss in your face too!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Sorry, if you didn't let me pee, I'd throw a cup of piss in your face too!
    And it was Polanski so if someone wanted to give him a piss rinse then that's fine with me.
    Brah, Butterfly, sluce and 4 others like this.
    We can't stop here. This is bat country.

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    And it was Polanski so if someone wanted to give him a piss rinse then that's fine with me.
    Polanski was probably more upset that it wasn't preteen girl pee (sorry guys) .
    Bluebonnet and cheray like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Polanski was probably more upset that it wasn't preteen girl pee (sorry guys) .
    Meanwhile John Mayer is thinking about cougars...
    Beantownfan and BITTER like this.
    We can't stop here. This is bat country.

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    I don't have the books with me, but in several books I have on - wouldn't you know it - old Shar Pei Warren Beatty, it says that the entire crew and cast hated her. And it was her first big movie! Arthur Penn had tipped Warren Beatty off to use her as Bonnie. Beatty went to see her in something and agreed. He probably regretted it later, because the books say he - the producer of Bonnie & Clyde - served pretty much as a messenger boy between Faye and the other lead players. He soothed both sides to make it work.

Then of course the great Bette Davis told some pretty damaging stuff about Dunaway's behavior on set. From the 4:35 mark.

WhateverLolaWants likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

10:13 until 12:10 mark on Johnny Carson:

WhateverLolaWants and msdeb like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Silver Member

She was just trying to stay in character. Have some respect costar.

Could it be da bitch is a junkie and not ill and she looks like death warmed over?
    Reality is an illusion caused by extreme lack of alcohol.

That voice mail is hysterical but the Bette Davis interview is GOLD!
    darksithbunny and ADel like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Two words: Method Acting.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

"That really is what she isn't."

LOL Bette Davis!
    darksithbunny, HWBL and Belt Up like this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Two words: Method Acting.
    24/7.
    gas_chick likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information