Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tom Brokaw diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer

Default Tom Brokaw diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer

Tom Brokaw Diagnosed with Cancer, Prognosis Encouraging

In a personal note, NBC News Special Correspondent Tom Brokaw revealed he has been diagnosed with cancer and said he and his physicians are very encouraged with the progress he is making.

Brokaw, who has worked at NBC News since 1966, was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, a cancer affecting blood cells in the bone marrow, in August at the Mayo Clinic. His doctors are optimistic about the outcome of the treatment he is receiving, and Brokaw said he remains “the luckiest guy I know.”

Throughout the treatment, Brokaw has continued to work on NBC News projects, including a two-hour documentary on the assassination of JFK; appearances on “TODAY,” “Nightly News with Brian Williams,” “Meet the Press” and MSNBC. He is also contributing to NBC Sports coverage of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Here is his full personal statement released on Tuesday:

“With the exceptional support of my family, medical team and friends, I am very optimistic about the future and look forward to continuing my life, my work and adventures still to come.”

“I remain the luckiest guy I know.”

“I am very grateful for the interest in my condition but I also hope everyone understands I wish to keep this a private matter.”

First published February 11th 2014, 4:59 pm
    Tom Brokaw Diagnosed with Cancer, Prognosis Encouraging - NBC News
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Oh gosh, my grandfather died of this, it spread quickly, he was in his 90's though. I hope Tom can fight this battle and come out alright.

a friend of my dad's was just diagnosed with this too. at least i think it is. we were told bone marrow cancer but not the exact type. apparently there are 2 main types, one is practically a death sentence and the other has much higher survival rates. i hope both of them can beat it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    one is practically a death sentence and the other has much higher survival rates.
    I had it in my mind that most people died within a few months of multiple myeloma diagnosis and that the prognosis was rarely good, so I was surprised to see that his doctors are so positive. Hopefully I'm wrong about the kind of cancer I'm thinking about.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

My dad was died of this at 76, diagnosed in May and died 2 months later, never left the hospital.

just looked it up. yeah, doesn't look too good. i hope they caught it early.

With high-dose therapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation, the median survival has been estimated in 2003 to be approximately 4.5 years, compared to a median of approximately 3.5 years with "standard" therapy.[24] Overall the 5-year survival rate is around 35%.[25]
    The International Staging System can help to predict survival, with a median survival (in 2005) of 62 months for stage 1 disease, 45 months for stage 2 disease, and 29 months for stage 3 disease.[8]
    The prognoses for patients with multiple myeloma, as those with other diseases, are not the same for everyone. The average age of onset is 70 years. Older patients often are experiencing other serious diseases, which affect survival. Younger patients might have much longer survival rates.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ how old is that article? it mentions 2003 but there have been several agents available since then that show increases in the median survival.

He has kept right on working,so that bodes well I think. I hope he wins.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My mom had it and died from it. The problem is that it is hard to diagnose. If you read the diagnostic reports, it's as if there is no telltale diagnostic test for it. And (often) when symptoms begin to show, you are right at the edge full organ failure in your kidneys and other areas.

czb

^^^ serum beta2 micro-globulin levels are used in conjuction with other lab work to make a diagnosis. so maybe it used to be hard to diagnose but i don't believe that is currently the case.

I hope he recovers - he's one of my absolute favorites.
    My Own Way likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I know someone who has this and has been enjoying a fairly high quality of life since being diagnosed 5 years ago. There are some really encouraging new treatment options.

Elite Member

My mom has this. She was diagnosed three years ago, come March.
    If she had remained with her first oncologist, I am sure she would have died already.
    Unfortunately, there is no cure for this cancer. She however, is showing a great improvement in her myeloma parameters.
    They also check the protein spill in your urine, your IgG, to diagnose this. The high normal is 1515. When they first tested my mom, hers was 5151. It is now under 1900.
    In addition to her chemo, we are using some other homeopathic solutions, with her doctor's approval, to combat her anemia. She has gone from one transfusion per month, to not having one for over a year.
    We are praying for a t least 10 more years with her. She will be 85 in a few weeks.
    Brookie, McJag, Laurent and 1 others like this.

My condolences to those of you who lost someone they love from this horrible disease. To those with someone they love fighting this, sending good thoughts your way. My heart goes out to all of you.

I was going to write the same thing, Sparkles. So sorry to any of you that are currently, or in the past, dealing with this terrible disease with a loved one.

So sad. I wish him strength to deal with this illness.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information