Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bychance
  • 2 Post By SugarVenom
  • 2 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By Kittylady
  • 1 Post By Voodoo Child
  • 2 Post By Briar Rose

Thread: Cameron Diaz: Society shows ‘chauvinism and misogyny’ towards single women

Default Cameron Diaz: Society shows ‘chauvinism and misogyny’ towards single women

In the February issue of Self, the 41-year-old actress and newly-minted author calls out "chauvinism and misogyny" in the media, particularly the way that single women are often portrayed as victims of their inability to "hold on" to men. Diaz told Self's Erin Bried:

If a relationship fails, it’s because the woman couldn’t hold on to her man, not that the man cheated. It’s terrifying for a woman to get out of a relationship, because it’s always going to be her fault.I get that a lot, being a single woman. The reports are always saying that I’m "acting inappropriately" toward men. I don’t at all harp on that s—, but I clock it. I notice it. And then I let it go because there is nothing I can do about it.

Diaz points out a frustrating truth about mainstream media's depiction of single women: the assumption that no woman chooses to be on her own. Sadly, single women's stigmatized status is nothing new. As Diaz notes, the suggestion is often that single women have made their bed when they can't (or -- dare we say -- choose not to) "hold on" to men, which somehow gives dudes permission to let their eyes wander.
    Honestly, we're sure Cameron Diaz has a gorgeous bed that she is happy to sleep in, single or otherwise.

Cameron Diaz Talks The Media's Contempt For Single Women, Totally Nails It

If you "clock" it and notice it you do harp on it.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Sadly, most of the time it comes from other women too and not just the media.
    Bombshell likes this.

Eh, Considering some of the douchebags I've seen her with, I think Cameron is better off single.

Nothing wrong with that.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Sadly, most of the time it comes from other women too and not just the media.
    Yep. Exactly. I don't know what people have against single women. Who cares if a woman isn't married? Cameron obviously could have been married years ago, if it was important to her. I guess some people haven't realized yet, even though it's 2014, that it's very possible for a woman to stand on her own two feet and even get the door for herself too!
    idunno and dowcat like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by SugarVenom View Post
    Yep. Exactly. I don't know what people have against single women. Who cares if a woman isn't married? Cameron obviously could have been married years ago, if it was important to her. I guess some people haven't realized yet, even though it's 2014, that it's very possible for a woman to stand on her own two feet and even get the door for herself too!
    That'll be because a single woman is a loose cannon who will randomly try and steal any man belonging to one of her friends because single = slut apparently.
    idunno and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'd like to point out that in some cases, it is the MAN that is pursuing the single woman, hoping for vulnerabilty and an in for cheating. I know, what a stretch!! When i became single a few years ago, at 40 and with two young children, TWO of my married high school friends came on to me. (separately, of course) They were open about proposing no strings attached sex with me, even though, in both cases, we had always been just friends and in one case, i was currently very close to his wife! I was hurt by this, felt badly about myself, and began to question what i had done to become approachable in that way....why was i the neighborhood single slut? Why would these men, who seemed so in love with their adorable wives, be such assholes and think i would be game for it! Both men stated things like, "ive always wanted to be with you....you've always been sexy to me...blah blah blah!" After a year long gut check, I finally landed on the fact that i had done nothing wrong with great confidence.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by bootspaige View Post
    I'd like to point out that in some cases, it is the MAN that is pursuing the single woman, hoping for vulnerabilty and an in for cheating. I know, what a stretch!! When i became single a few years ago, at 40 and with two young children, TWO of my married high school friends came on to me. (separately, of course) They were open about proposing no strings attached sex with me, even though, in both cases, we had always been just friends and in one case, i was currently very close to his wife! I was hurt by this, felt badly about myself, and began to question what i had done to become approachable in that way....why was i the neighborhood single slut? Why would these men, who seemed so in love with their adorable wives, be such assholes and think i would be game for it! Both men stated things like, "ive always wanted to be with you....you've always been sexy to me...blah blah blah!" After a year long gut check, I finally landed on the fact that i had done nothing wrong with great confidence.
    Oh I know that! But it seems to be the attitude amongst the women that their man is a faithful soul who wouldn't think of going near a woman unless the rampant slut forced him from the arms of his loving lady. I've had the same happen to me; you get a certain period of grace and then they start trying to set you up with friends of friends or someone that their guy works with etc but if you don't take the bait and start dating one of them, either because there's no attraction or you want to be alone for a spell, then your days in the social circle may well be numbered. Meanwhile you are fending off the advances of men who damn well should know better.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

meh I dunno to me she sounds like the only one with a problem being single. she is continually harping on about it. paranoid much?
    rockchick likes this.

Silver Member

Oh, so now she's a social critic and the voice of feminism as well as a lifestyle expert?

Gag me with a copy of Bad Teacher.
    rockchick and Voodoo Child like this.

Thread Information