Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard call for boycott in tabloids on baby photos

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard call for boycott in tabloids on baby photos

When it comes to celebrity culture, 99% of celebrities will tell you what a scourge the paparazzi are – how they just can’t stand the attention and they want to go shopping at The Grove in peace, ok?

This is what they say, but it’s not hard to spot signs of collusion. Perfectly done hair/makeup on a grocery run, an uptick in photos during a promotion or campaign, a coffee run to announce a new coupling. We see it, and we’ve learned to read the signs.

But when it comes to celebrity children, we are more reticent to believe that the photos are set-up. Yet there has been a marked increase in celebrity mommy culture over the last 5-10 years – and supply has increased just as swiftly as demand. Add in social media and they can completely control the visuals. It’s advanced cherry picking – please don’t talk about me or look at me until I want you to talk about me and admire my children.

Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard, parents to Lincoln Bell, went on Twitter yesterday to call for a boycott of tabloids that buy photos of the children of celebrities. Duana might want to look away for this part, but let’s just say I don’t have a Kristen Bell blind spot. I’ve never seen Veronica Mars. As for Dax, Parenthood is my hate watch. (The Bravermans are a smug family.) So I’m not interested in them as actors, as a couple or as parents, but obviously they have a lot of fans – and they are both quite active on Twitter.

I empathize with their frustration. There’s a sweaty guy yelling at you and your kid walking down the street. It must be scary and creepy and invasive – I don’t blame them for wanting to protect their daughter and for wanting it to stop. It’s their tactic that I find disingenuous.

If it were simply a question of demand, there would be a lot more Maddox & Co. and a lot less photos of Tori Spelling’s kids. It’s demand and access – photos that are easily secured and will sell to weeklies – that flood magazines and blogs.

For the most part, the “smaller” the star, the more we see of their kids.</b> And you know for whom that probably sucks most? B and C-list parents who live in LA, who don’t have the means to go “underground” when they want to (like Brange can) and don’t have the power to point out that there is a level of cooperation between some celebrities and photo agencies. I’m not saying they need to name names, but there has to be some awareness and acknowledgement of what is really going on.

Yes, those photographers are there because they can sell the pictures to magazines. They’re also there because sometimes celebrity parents want their children photographed. Calling out the media is much easier than saying, “Hey Celebrity Mom X, how about not alerting the paparazzi of your trip to the pumpkin patch?” But celebrity parents never call one another out – it’s always blame the photographers, blame the people that look at the photos, blame the culture. Never acknowledge what’s going on behind the curtain, because it’s not a flattering narrative.

Dax and Kristen want us to stop buying magazines, with Dax tweeting for a boycott on Star, US Weekly, PEOPLE and InTouch. For them, boycotting Star and InTouch is pretty easy; they aren’t respectable go-to magazines, even for TV stars. Those are for bottom-of-the-barrel reality show “exclusives” and, for the most part, inaccurate reporting.

US Weekly and PEOPLE are different. US is still a tabloid, but in the last few years it has become a sanctioned tool for publicists, and PEOPLE, well, it’s as celebrity-friendly as a magazine can be. It’s also the go-to when celebrities want to sell or debut their baby photos. Jessica Alba, Jessica Simpson (for Maxwell), Drew Barrymore, Christina Applegate, Nicole Richie, Katherine Heigl, Alec Baldwin, and Jennifer Lopez are just a few who have played.

They all have their reasons – for some it’s straight-up money and for others it is to lessen the intensity of the paparazzi attention. But when celebrity parents ring up PEOPLE (and, to a lesser extent, US WEEKLY) for a quick hit of cash and an exclusive cover, where does the voyeurism, as Kristen Bell puts it, begin and end? If Drew Barrymore decides to sell photos of her second child, should we boycott PEOPLE? Or does having Drew’s consent lessen the invasion? And when a baby does make the cover, everyone involved, including the parents, wants it to sell. It’s a coordinated photoshoot with lighting and make-up and wardrobe, as carefully orchestrated as any other magazine cover. And sometimes the relationship between the celeb’s team and the magazine extends far beyond that one cover – but no one wants to talk about that.

If celebrities like Kristen and Jennifer Garner and Halle Berry truly wanted to stem the tide, they could start with asking their colleagues to stop posing for paid covers with their newborns. Wouldn’t that be more effective than trying to change the behavior of millions of blog and magazine readers?

But Dax and Kristen have taken a stand for “the children,” and they have to find a way to make it count for something. If an outlet loses access to Brange or George Clooney or Sandra Bullock, it would be a major issue. But losing access to Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard has very little impact. And considering the way they announced their boycott – Twitter– well, it’s a bit high handed and reactive.

What happens when Kristen has to promote Veronica Mars – is she not going to speak to any magazine that runs photos of celebrity kids? What if PEOPLE decides to do a story on Parenthood – is Dax going to object, even though he is part of a large ensemble cast? (A cast that includes young kids, I might add, which some would argue is more exploitative than a long lens photo.)

If they don’t ever want me (or you) to see a picture of their daughter, I’m totally fine with that. I will also opt out of watching her talk about pregnancy sex on Conan. Because I don’t want to know about that, either.

laineygossip

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn&#39;t! - Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard call for boycott in tabloids on baby photos

Well, the paps aren't allowed to specifically photograph them/blur out their faces now due to Halle Berry's law that just went into effect, right?

So, there's a start.... hopefully, eventually, pap's won't be stalking children because magazines won't be buying the pictures with them as the focus of the shot(s)....(because they would have to blur out the faces anyway)....

Bummer!! That will kill the Celebrities Offspring thread....Boo!
    dexter7 and BelledeJour like this.

Funny how people don't give a shit about stuff until it pertains to them. Just sayin.

I enjoy looking at the pics, but I understand what the parents are saying. I have always found it weird and creepy to think that these adults are chasing down these kids in parking lots just to get a pic. Even worse, when they take a picture of the kid alone, without the celebrity parent around, like when the nanny is out with the kid at a park or something. The kid isn't famous and they haven't signed on for this life.

Then you have people who complain that they are being stalked by the paps trying to get a picture of their kid, while they publish pics on their Twitter or Facebook (hello Alec and Hilaria Baldwin).
    Mel1973 likes this.

I agree, Dark. People don't realize things until they are in that boat. But it comes with the territory. Find a new line of work then, people.
    darksithbunny and Laurent like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Bummer!! That will kill the Celebrities Offspring thread....Boo!

Nahh, there's plenty of celebs willing to whore their kids out. The thread will be fine.
    Mel1973 likes this.

I think most of the kids photographed by the paps who have an arrangement. Stefani, I'm looking at you.

With that said, there are plenty of celebrities who have kids that aren't photographed. You don't see many photos of mark wahlbergs kids. The paps follow Halle berry bot for her child, but because Halle's batshit crazy, and they just want to pic for when she snaps.
    llamamama likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Then you have people who complain that they are being stalked by the paps trying to get a picture of their kid, while they publish pics on their Twitter or Facebook (hello Alec and Hilaria Baldwin).
    Them posting pics to twitter and facebook is totally different to me. They are controlling what is posted. The child was happy having their pic taken by mommy or daddy, not a stranger chasing them in the park.
    Kittylady, deenz and BelledeJour like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Them posting pics to twitter and facebook is totally different to me. They are controlling what is posted. The child was happy having their pic taken by mommy or daddy, not a stranger chasing them in the park.
    I don't disagree that it's different. I'm just saying if they really don't want their kids face to be published, I wouldn't put it on a public social media page. I'm not famous and I don't put picture of my daughter on my Facebook page. Even when I put them on here, I take them down shortly.

I don't know, maybe for some it's not an issue of their kids faces being out there, maybe it's just the issue of the stalking paps.

I support Dax and Kristen.There's a huge difference between posing for pictures and just going about your business in life and paps are on your ass snapping away. The celebs who set up those latter kind of photo ops just need to suck it up if and when it's no longer permissible.
    I don't mind seeing celeb family 'out and about' pics.....if the celeb have given permission for the child to be included in the photo. Meaning it's literally being staged and you can tell because they are literally posing for the camera!
    My son's school, in the beginning of every year, have me sign a permission form for them to take any pictures and videos of my boys. Children of celebs should be given the same respect and privacy. That's my 02

^I agree. I remember signing that form each year too.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I think the celeb baby photo industry has gone way too far. We are regularly hearing of paps hanging about near schools (in normal circumstances any guy doing that is going to get a bad name and run out of town) and we hear and see footage of paps shouting abuse at the parents and in some cases the child to get a good reaction shot. Total bloody insanity! And what pisses me off just as much is the way these shots are fluffed up in the accompanying media blurb - what frikkin' 3 year old is a 'fashionista', FFS? (Yes Daily Fail, I'm looking at you).

Maybe consent is the way to go? You want to whore your kids for column inches? Then sign disclaimers with the press.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Funny how people don't give a shit about stuff until it pertains to them. Just sayin.
    Sometimes, I think they don't REALIZE shit like that is going on until it happens to them. I like Dax and Kbell due to their honesty and support of same sex marriage. They are a couple who seem to have some damn values - and aren't afraid to stand up for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I agree, Dark. People don't realize things until they are in that boat. But it comes with the territory. Find a new line of work then, people.
    I will always say bullshit to that whole "find a new line of work". Why the fuck should they give up their jobs/careers/etc to protect their child from fucking papz? THAT is not what they signed up for. They expose THEMSELVES to the public, not their kid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Nahh, there's plenty of celebs willing to whore their kids out. The thread will be fine.
    yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    ^I agree. I remember signing that form each year too.
    still do it.
    witchcurlgirl, mjw, sluce and 1 others like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information