• 3 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 7 Post By levitt
  • 1 Post By ana-mish-ana

Thread: Quentin Tarantino sues Gawker over Hateful Eight script leak

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Quentin Tarantino sues Gawker over Hateful Eight script leak

Quentin Tarantino has taken legal action over the leak of his script for Hateful Eight.

The director, who shelved plans to make the Western after the leak last week, has filed a copyright lawsuit against Gawker Media for disseminating copies of the script, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
    Shortly after news of the leak surfaced, a link to the full script was posted on Gawker's Defamer blog.

"Gawker Media has made a business of predatory journalism, violating people's rights to make a buck," the lawsuit reads. "This time they went too far.

"Rather than merely publishing a news story reporting that Plaintiff's screenplay may have been circulating in Hollywood without his permission, Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire Screenplay illegally."

Tarantino said last week that the leak had left him feeling betrayed and "very depressed", and named several people with whom he had shared the script including actors Michael Madsen, Tim Roth and Bruce Dern, and Dango Unchained producer Reggie Hudlin.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...#ixzz2rcUJ2669
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

EXCLUSIVE: Learning today that his script The Hateful Eight leaked after he gave it to a small circle of actors, Quentin Tarantino tells me that hes so upset that he has decided that he will not direct that film next. So basically that means the conversation that will be circulating around town following this story with Tarantino goes from an ensemble Western to a whodunit. As in, which actor or their reps leaked the script that, as a result, is going on the shelf literally a bookstore shelf, because Tarantino tells me he will publish it first and maybe revisit the prospect of a movie in the next five years.

Im very, very depressed, Tarantino said. I finished a script, a first draft, and I didnt mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently its gotten out today. He learned that when his longtime agent Mike Simpson began getting phone calls from agents looking to pitch their clients for roles in the ensemble Western.

So who could have done this? I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it, Tarantino said. Thats a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didnt end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors:Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didnt do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I dont know how these fucking agents work, but Im not making this next. Im going to publish it, and thats it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I cant trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. Ill publish it. Im done. Ill move on to the next thing. Ive got 10 more where that came from.

Tarantino told me he suspects the dispersal came from CAA, which reps Dern. I spoke to someone inside CAA I trust, and they vehemently denied they could have been the source. They noted that a problem is that Tarantino possibly dispersed the script himself, without a watermark that usually prevents someone from secretly dispersing the screenplay. Because of that, this is an unsolvable breach. It would be difficult to prove anyway, because if an agent asked an assistant to copy a script, and that assistant shared it with peers at other agencies, and it suddenly found its way to a blogger, the agent would not even know theyd unwittingly put the screenplay into circulation.

This is an odd story. Usually when a guy like me gets the call from a major director like Tarantino and walks away with a seismic story like this, its a good day. I must admit, I spent most of the phone call trying to talk Tarantino out of dumping the project. I want to see the movie, and I truly want to see the 77-year-old Dern get another chance to shine in a killer lead role after his brilliant turn in Nebraska. Tarantino said that he loves Dern, and likely will write him a big role in the film hell do instead. He would not divulge any details, even the genre of this other project. Given what happened here, who can blame Tarantino?

The filmmaker acknowledges that this is mostly about feeling betrayed, because he does not have an aversion to the inevitable blogger evaluation of his screenplays. He just cannot believe its going to happen this early in the process, when he has just begun talking to Harvey Weinstein about how theyre going to make it.

I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net, Tarantino said. Frankly, I wouldnt want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my shit, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six motherfucking people! Starting this week, Ill be setting meetings with publishers.Related: Quentin Tarantino Reveals Next Film Project At Least The Genre: Video

After more of my attempt to persuade him to let things die down he made a mission movie in Inglourious Basterds and a Western-style film in Django Unchained, so who wouldnt want to see him tackle a true ensemble Western? Tarantino allowed that: I could totally change my mind; I own the fucking thing. But I can tell you, its not going to be the next thing I do. Its my baby, and if the muse calls me later to do it, well do it. I was thinking about the idea of maybe publishing it before I made it, but now that deal happens for sure, and Im not doing it next.

The other script was one he had on his mind lately, so it might not take that long. The idea was, I was going to write two scripts, he said. I wasnt going to shoot the Western until next winter, and I have been full of piss and vinegar about the other one. So now Ill do that one.

He hopes that this might cause reps and actors to be more discreet. When I broke news of the scripts title, I said Id heard that the actors it went to included Dern, and Christoph Waltz. I was wrong about the latter. Instead it was Madsen, star of Reservoir Dogs and the Kill Bill films, and Pulp Fiction star Roth.

I hadnt given it to Christoph, I havent given it to Sam Jackson, he said. I gave it to three motherfucking actors. We met in a place, and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlins agent never had a copy. Its got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names.
    Quentin Tarantino Shelves 'The Hateful Eight' After Betrayal Results In Script Leak - Deadline.com

It does suck it got leaked but I think QT needs to just suck it up and make the movie and know better next time who to share this stuff with.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

gawker crossed the line and really, who wants to read a script anyway? they could have reported the story and written about the script without publishing the entire thing. what's the point of 'breaking' a story like this? i'd much rather watch the actual movie. it was an asshole move on their part and i hope they lose the lawsuit.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    gawker crossed the line and really, who wants to read a script anyway? they could have reported the story and written about the script without publishing the entire thing. what's the point of 'breaking' a story like this? i'd much rather watch the actual movie. it was an asshole move on their part and i hope they lose the lawsuit.
    That's pretty much where I stand on it, too. They could have shown parts of it, but instead they put out the whole freaking thing.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    who wants to read a script anyway?.
    Shia LaBeouf.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Gawker only linked to the script. Tarantino needed to sue the site Scribd which is lax in dealing with people uploading pirated books and other documents.... But once something gets leaked on the internet its hard to gain control back also this is one site really which has the script.
    BootsyCJr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Gawker only linked to the script. Tarantino needed to sue the site Scribd which is lax in dealing with people uploading pirated books and other documents.... But once something gets leaked on the internet its hard to gain control back also this is one site really which has the script.
    They could have hosted it on another site, and linked to it for plausible deniability when the inevitable lawsuit came. It sounds like they will be going after Gawker for Secondary Liability for Copyright Infringement.

Probably although I think one of his previous movies had a script already published online before he filmed it and he didn't do anything - I bet Gawker's lawyers will use that as part of their defense. I don't think he really wanted to do this movie anyway now and it is so close to the last western he did with Django.

Thread Information