Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Surfer Rescues DROWNING Anne Hathaway From A Riptide In Hawaii

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Surfer Rescues DROWNING Anne Hathaway From A Riptide In Hawaii

Anne Hathaway had a super scary moment in Hawaii, as the Les Miserables beauty encountered serious danger when she was caught in a fierce rip current while swimming on the beach, but thankfully escaped from peril with a mere foot wound.

Onlookers said the 31-year-old diva began screaming for assistance when the waters turned fierce, at which point a nearby surfer ran to save her.

Anne’s husband, Adam Shulman, was present for the heart-stopping moment and rushed to grab a first-aid kit when his wife was pulled out of the water sporting a scraped-up foot.

The Devil Wears Prada starlet, after averting disaster, seemed to be in better spirits while she recovered on the shore with her hubby, who nursed the hurt foot.

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Surfer Rescues DROWNING Anne Hathaway From A Riptide In Hawaii — See The Dramatic Incident

That is scary shit.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I got caught in a rip tide when I was younger in Hawaii. Not fun at all. Super scary. Ha, that evening I also choked on food for the first time. Awesome day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs P View Post
    I got caught in a rip tide when I was younger in Hawaii. Not fun at all. Super scary. Ha, that evening I also choked on food for the first time. Awesome day!
    I keep trying to find out which island this was, but have had no luck.

I was surprised at how dangerous Hawaii's waters were when I was there. There are omnipresent warning signs that you will get yourself wiped out by a wave. But the other thing was how many giant jagged rocks there are in the waters where people like to surf or boogeyboard.

it's the pacific! you have to be careful with the pacific ocean...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Poor Anne, glad the surfer was there to help her out. Must've been pretty scary
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Riptides are no joke. Every summer at the jersey shore people drown in them.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I keep trying to find out which island this was, but have had no luck.

I was surprised at how dangerous Hawaii's waters were when I was there. There are omnipresent warning signs that you will get yourself wiped out by a wave. But the other thing was how many giant jagged rocks there are in the waters where people like to surf or boogeyboard.
    The rocks are bad on the island of Oahu. I didn't make it to any other islands. I've been to beaches in Australia, Aruba and California, but never had problems. Some of the beaches in Aruba are rocky, so I'd advise to wear shoes in the water. I still have weird pin prick scars on the bottom of a foot from walking on some sea urchin.

mjw
    Elite Member

Anne Hathaway got ripped in Hawaii yesterday ... and it was almost a disaster.

Anne was soaking in the Oahu sun with hubby Adam Shulman ... when she decided to take a dip. What she wasn't counting on -- a gnarly riptide.

Luckily, a local surfer heard her screams and raced out to rescue her ... bringing her safely back to shore. But just like a bad movie, it wasn't over ... not even close.

On her way in, Anne cut her foot on a reef, and the blood started flowing. Once on shore, Adam took over and immediately pulled a Quentin Tarantino -- sucking possible toxins out of her toe.

She was grimacing for sure, but not for long. Later in the day she posed on the beach for pics with fans.

Life's a beach. And then you get sucked.

Read more: Anne Hathaway -- Near-Death Encounter ... Gets Mouth-to-Toe Resuscitation | TMZ.com

Oh my dear lord did not need to see THAT.^

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Oh yeah, "Pacific" is a total misnomer. I won't stick a toe in that mean bitch because I am not a strong swimmer. I was really surprised the first time I saw the ocean in South Florida. Night and day...

If you're a casual swimmer, then basically, you want spilling, or gentle breakers, not the plunging waves surfers prefer.

So if you see happy surfers, you've probably got the wrong beach. And no fucking ocean is ever safe anyway. Perhaps Anne should check out a nice placid lake.

Or at least, this (Jamaica) (this public service announcement brought to you by Geoffrey Holder):

Just Kill Me likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

JWL

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    So true. I got pulled under at Stinson Beach in Northern California; it was 20 years ago and still freaks me out.
    Lily Bleu likes this.

A*O

People drown in rips either because they aren't competent swimmers or, leading on from that, they panic. Or they ignore the "swim between the flags" rule on lifeguard patrolled beaches.

If you get caught in a rip DONT PANIC! Tread water to stay afloat and allow the rip to take you away from the beach and as it's force subsides start to swim sideways parallel to the beach until you can make your way back in again. All this is easier said than done of course but if you are completely comfortable in the water it shouldn't be a problem. If you need to be able to touch the bottom you probably shouldn't be in there.

I don't know if they show Bondi Rescue in the US but it's a real eye opener on the kind of morons who almost drown every day and have to be hauled out by the surf lifesavers. Most of them just can't swim and/or they are drunk. The overwhelming demographic is Asian for the former and Irish for the latter. There was one particularly sad story of a Mongolian doctor and his family who arrived to start a new life in Oz and went to the iconic Bondi beach almost the day after they arrived. They hadn't seen a real beach or ocean on their lives and none of them could swim. The dad went into the surf ignoring the flags and drowned leaving a wife and several kids. Welcome to Australia.
    Palermo, SHELLEE, lacs and 4 others like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

The surfer ran to rescue her, and her husband ran to get a first aid kit I know that was probably the smart thing to do, but I still find it funny.

Elite Member

I could swim before I could walk. I was certified an expert swimmer at 9 and Red Cross certified lifeguard at 15. I don't swim in the Pacific Ocean.
    Laurent, Shinola and Lalique like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information