• 3 Post By MohandasKGanja
  • 1 Post By Brookie
  • 2 Post By Beeyotch
  • 4 Post By BITTER
  • 3 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 3 Post By BITTER
  • 1 Post By Lalique
  • 2 Post By Palermo

Thread: Dick Clark banned gay dancers and racial intergration from American Bandstand

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Dick Clark banned gay dancers and racial intergration from American Bandstand

Frank Brancaccio and Eddie Kelly, two gay former American Bandstand dancers tell the National Enquirer that late host Dick Clark had his producers conduct "witch hunts" to "purge gays from the ranks."

BrancaccioClark had his aides comb Philadelphia’s gay hangouts – and if any of the show’s teens were discovered as being openly gay, the horrified host would banish them!

Handsome gay 14- to 17-year old males who helped popularize dance crazes like the Slop, the Continental, the Fly and the Hitchhike could stay on “Bandstand” as long as they looked straight. But any open hint of homosexuality got them kicked out the door – and the teens knew it in no uncertain terms.

[“Bandstand” regular, Eddie] Kelly revealed, “Philadelphia’s Rittenhouse square was known as a meeting place for homosexuals. If you were seen in the square, you couldn’t go on ‘Bandstand.’ So most of us really stayed away.”

But his same-sex secret actually made Brancaccio start going to the show when he was 14 years old!

Kelly: “I went to ‘Bandstand’ because I was gay and I was a misfit in my neighborhood. I lived in very tough South Philadelphia,” he says. “I’d see these kids dancing and instinctively I knew I could fit in with them. I went to coffee shops, but I also hung out in Rittenhouse Square and so did many of the dancers. It was no secret. When I used to walk down the streets of Philadelphia and be recognized, I’d be called a ‘Bandstand f*****.’”

The dancers add:

“A high percentage of the popular ‘regulars’ were gay,” declares Brancaccio, now 72 years old and openly homosexual.

And another “Bandstand” regular, Eddie Kelly, confirms, “It’s true. now it’s out and it’s good. When I went to ‘Bandstand’ in 1959, I found most of the males were gay, but that could never have gotten out to the public.”

But homophobia wasn’t the only issue Clark was confronting in the late 1950s and early ’60s.

He did NOT want the show integrated before it moved to Los Angeles in 1964 – even though he gave the notion lip service.

Says an insider, “There were strict rules to appear on the show. You couldn’t be a camera hog. You couldn’t dance too close, and you couldn’t dance with someone who wasn’t your color.”

To Clark, blacks didn’t represent the all- American boy or girl next door during the era, which was marked by the civil rights movement.

He made sure African-Americans wouldn’t feel comfortable in the studio, insiders say.

“Clark wanted NO integration,” says Brancaccio. And Kelly says he never saw a black person dance with a white person. He also remembers only two black couples appearing during the years he was on “Bandstand.”

The insiders say a system was created to shunt aside black teens, who early on outnumbered white kids as they lined up for a chance to appear on the show.

White dancers would always get in first with special membership cards, the insiders say. if a couple of black guys did get in, they could only sit in the stands because there were no black girls for them to dance with. Clark’s concession to racial equality was to allow wildly popular black artists to appear on the show – and help boost his ratings.

“Clark was out for Clark,” says Brancaccio. “He was a brilliant man. BUT he was out for Clark.”

American Bandstand went off the air 25 years ago in 1989. Clark continued a successful entertainment career but died of a massive heart attack in April 2012 at age 82.

[S O U R C E 1, 2]

Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Dick Clark banned gay dancers and racial intergration from American Bandstand

Not shocking at all - he was a product of those times.
    Palermo likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Why wait until he was dead to bring this up?
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt did not have a single gay-themed float at ANY of his four inauguration parades.
    Brookie, manningmsj and Flygirl like this.

The Beatles was a band with FOUR WHITE GUYS!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

- Mark Twain

I still think it's pretty shitty. Too bad Clark couldn't have been a pioneer in this area, he could have had a huge influence.
    Callalily and rollo like this.

I've heard stories about Clark's aggressiveness and avarice for years. He had that nice-guy persona on TV, but it was totally an act. So this is disappointing, but not surprising. Especially when I have memories of him on AB schmoozing with black entertainers and gay ones like Sylvester and Elton John. Maybe he was a product of the times, but he was still an asshole.
    Palermo, Callalily, mjw and 1 others like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

*points at Bitter* Yup, what he said.

It's funny; I always thought this was the deal with American Bandstand, even when I was a kid. I literally assumed that Soul Train was where black people were allowed to dance. And it's why I didn't like American Bandstand. So there, "DICK".
    BITTER, Callalily and JazzyGirl like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I still think it's pretty shitty. Too bad Clark couldn't have been a pioneer in this area, he could have had a huge influence.
    Exactly. Instead of having a big influence on race and tolerance he chose to look out for number one. Not surprising, but he could've really accomplished something, as Bandstand was so popular in its day.
    This seems like a lot of effort just to marry one of the Jonas Brothers. - ChemicalHelena

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    *points at Bitter* Yup, what he said.

It's funny; I always thought this was the deal with American Bandstand, even when I was a kid. I literally assumed that Soul Train was where black people were allowed to dance. And it's why I didn't like American Bandstand. So there, "DICK".
    Soul Train was the SHIT!!! Black entertainers, black dancers, even the commercials were geared toward the black American audience. I knew I was gay when even as a young-un I obsessed over those Natalie Cole Posner lipstick commercials.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

I always thought AB sucked. To learn great dance moves and hear great music my friends and I watched Soul Train or a local show in Detroit called The Scene. Remember that one, Brookie?
    Palermo likes this.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

I grew up in Detroit, only watched Soul Train and wouldn't be caught dead watching American Bandstand, too corny for me
    Lalique and Callalily like this.

Vaguely. I rarely watched "Bandstand" either, just wasn't my thing.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information