Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Susan Boyle: My millions and fame have torn my family apart

Default Susan Boyle: My millions and fame have torn my family apart

Despairing Susan Boyle has blamed her millions for tearing her family apart.

The singer, 52, feels helpless over a bitter rift between two warring factions.

Distraught Susan only wanted the best for her family – and can’t help blaming herself for a vicious feud that has erupted around her. Her brother Gerry told how the superstar singer poured her heart out to him at the table, sobbing: “I’m the bad one, it’s all my fault.”

Gerry, 59, said: “Obviously, it is not her fault – and the saddest part is Susan has only ever tried to keep all of us happy.”
    SuBo’s once close-knit family has split into two factions in bitter disputes centred on her fame and millions.

Speaking exclusively to the Sunday Mirror, Gerry said his sister broke down in tears and told him: “All I ever wanted was for the family to be close. What can I do to put it right? It’s all my fault. Tell me, what can I do?” Gerry said: “It is a really nasty situation and lots of people have been very hurt over the years.

“Susan is stuck right in the middle of it and it breaks my heart seeing her so upset. But the reality is that the family is now so broken I don’t know if we’ll ever get it back.
    “I would do anything for Susan – she’s my little sister. I want her to be happy and at the moment she is not. But there is nothing Susan can do to make this right. Maybe no one can.”

The row started shortly after Susan shot to worldwide fame on Simon Cowell’s show Britain’s Got Talent in 2009. Two factions emerged. One was made up of Gerry, eldest sister Mary and brother John. The other is middle sister Bridie, nephew Alan and nieces Joanne, Jaqueline and Kirsty. Neither side can stand to be in the same room as the other.

Gerry decided to speak out after it was claimed he blackmailed Susan, 52, to the tune of £50k. He was accused of threatening to commit suicide if she did not give him the money he needed to save his company Instant Entertainment from cash flow problems.

Semi-pro singer Gerry makes no secret that she had already given more than £250k to the business since becoming famous. But he claimed generous SuBo called him before Christmas to offer more cash after John confided in her about his business troubles.
    He is adamant it was only when other family members found out about the arrangement that Susan claimed he had put pressure on her.
    Gerry said: “She came over for dinner last Sunday, as she often does, and I had to say something. I wanted to know why she had said those things to other family members. "But she instantly broke down crying and said the suicide claims were a pack of lies. She said she was sorry – not just for me but for the whole family rift.

"It was hard to see how upset she was so I tried to make her laugh but there was no getting away from it. I never went to her home or approached her for the money.
    “She knows better than anyone that I would never commit suicide – that’s ridiculous. But when my sister Bridie and nephew Alan started asking questions she felt she needed to give a reason why she gave me the cash and not them.
    "Susan always feels she needs to keep everyone happy by telling them what they want to hear. She doesn’t like confrontation.”

Close-knit before fame: From top left - Gerry, James, John, Kathleen, Joe, Bridie, Mary, Susan, Dad, Mum
    Photo News
    Susan was not prepared for the *pressures of instant fame after her rendition of I Dreamed A Dream had the world in raptures. She was admitted to The Priory clinic with exhaustion.
    Gerry recalled: “We were very worried about her and as a close family we all wanted to help. But certain relatives suddenly appeared from nowhere and wanted to be a part of it all.
    “Susan was flattered by all the attention so she did whatever she could to keep them happy.”

SuBo took on Bridie’s daughter Joanne as a PA and gave another admin role to brother Joe’s daughter Jacqueline. She then asked Kirsty Foy, another niece who was a lawyer in London, to manage her revenue, giving her five per cent of profits from the sales of her first two albums. Gerry said he, Mary and John felt they had to speak out.
    He said: “That was when the lines were drawn. We tried to arrange a family meeting to discuss what was going on and how we could help Susan.
    “But five minutes before it was due to start Joanne called to say that she, Susan and Bridie weren’t coming. Since then the family has been split in two with Susan in the middle.”
    The star was keen to fix the problem and has allegedly given more than £1million to family in cash, salaries for posts on her staff, small business investments and bail-outs.

In 2010 she gave £30k to each of her siblings and a further £30k to nephew Alan for his venture Boyle’s Boutique, which never got off the ground.
    Susan funded a niece’s photography business with £25k and provided two-year paid maternity packages for family staff members.

Gerry said of Susan, who went public last month about her battle with Asperger’s: “She had this dream and always thought that singing for a living and being rich and famous would make us all happy but it didn’t work out like that.
    "It has ripped us apart as a family and I can see no real way back. That’s why Susan has reached tipping point.”

In 2012 a meeting was called with Susan’s family, including Gerry, and her manager to discuss how best to protect the star. It was put to Susan that a family member should be given power of attorney to help her draw up a will. Gerry claimed: “Everyone instantly said it should be me because we were close and also closest in age. I wasn’t comfortable having sole power so Mary agreed she would co-sign the document.
    "Susan was happy and signed the document in her lawyer’s office, but just weeks later she changed her mind and revoked it. I don’t know who has power of attorney now.”

Last night, Mary did not want to comment. John was unavailable. Bridie, Alan, Joanne and Jacqueline were unavailable.
    Kirsty said: “I did get five per cent of Susan’s revenue from her first two albums but I was working for her so it was what I deserved.
    “There is a big rift in the family. But Gerry does not have Susan’s best interests at heart. I am just worried for her. Gerard’s ambitions are limitless but Susan’s money is not.”

Susan’s spokesperson said: “The story about Mr Boyle’s alleged suicide bid was true. Mr Boyle, acting with his brother and partner, did pressurise and threaten suicide if Susan did not pay yet another large amount of money to him, £50,000."

Susan Boyle: My millions and fame have torn my family apart - Mirror Online

What asses.

Well they all sound just lovely.
    Palermo likes this.

A*O

Golden rule - NEVER mix family with business. She was a fool to employ any of them. We all know she's a bit speshul and needs some good, strong managers and advisers to keep her parasite rellies at bay.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

SuBo? Really? This nickname shit is being taken a little too far.

This poor woman.
    roslyntaberfan likes this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    SuBo? Really? This nickname shit is being taken a little too far.
    I agree with you, FlGi.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

There's no hell like shitty family members. They should be grateful for what she's given them.
    Flygirl and Novice like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Shame on this bunch for not banding together to protect her from those (particularly each other) trying to take advantage of her naiveté. She's had a tough time and Aspie's often have a lot of difficulty with executive functions which include money management and paying bills as but two examples. My 15 year old son has no concept of budgeting, paying bills, time management-all of the things most of us take for granted. Ask him anything about chemistry, biology, physics, languages, history and he will answer immediately, but leave him alone for the day and he'd forget to shower, eat, take his pills and the list goes on. He's actually worn his pants backwards and doesn't care one iota. If I ask him where our money comes from he replies "The bank." And that's it as far as he is concerned. My heart goes out to this woman.
    Novice, Makisa, 70sRock and 4 others like this.

A*O

My daughter is an Aspie too but luckily at the "mild" end of the spectrum so she has a good basic knowledge of these things but she can be incredibly naive and trusting and therefore easily manipulated if some unscrupulous asshole targeted her. It's a worry.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    My daughter is an Aspie too but luckily at the "mild" end of the spectrum so she has a good basic knowledge of these things but she can be incredibly naive and trusting and therefore easily manipulated if some unscrupulous asshole targeted her. It's a worry.
    I'm so glad that she is at the mild end of the spectrum, because it is a huge worry as you so aptly pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Golden rule - NEVER mix family with business. She was a fool to employ any of them. We all know she's a bit speshul and needs some good, strong managers and advisers to keep her parasite rellies at bay.
    And not Simon Cowell flexing his moobs on Barbados with his harem! Really, this was all VERY predictable and financial assistance should have been written into her contract.

Kirsty said: “I did get five per cent of Susan’s revenue from her first two albums but I was working for her so it was what I deserved.
    Deserve? Really? I deserve to not have to work more than one job to earn a descent amount but life isn't like that bitch. 5%? And how much did it gross? Coz that is a shitload of cash.....

I always got the impression that the family wasn't super close & that Spinster Susan had been left at home to care for her mother (amongst other things).... Funny how a little cash can change everything!
    Kittylady likes this.
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

I feel bad for Susan.She's a kind hearted woman who wants to help her family and they take advantage of her. Someone from her record company needs to step in and get someone to manage her finances. And she needs to back away from those leeches for a while.
    Palermo likes this.

They probably didn't have the time of day for her before she got rich

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Shame on this bunch for not banding together to protect her from those (particularly each other) trying to take advantage of her naiveté. She's had a tough time and Aspie's often have a lot of difficulty with executive functions which include money management and paying bills as but two examples. My 15 year old son has no concept of budgeting, paying bills, time management-all of the things most of us take for granted. Ask him anything about chemistry, biology, physics, languages, history and he will answer immediately, but leave him alone for the day and he'd forget to shower, eat, take his pills and the list goes on. He's actually worn his pants backwards and doesn't care one iota. If I ask him where our money comes from he replies "The bank." And that's it as far as he is concerned. My heart goes out to this woman.
    My grandson and granddaughter are both aspies and present in different ways. My heart goes out to Susan Boyle also. she needs someone she can trust taking care of these things and her asshole relatives.
    sparkles likes this.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information