Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 2 Post By BITTER

Thread: Marion Cotillard: Actors are fragile creatures

Default Marion Cotillard: Actors are fragile creatures

Marion Cotillard believes many actors suffer from substance abuse issues because they are ”fragile creatures”.

The ‘Dark Knight Rises’ actress thinks that some of her contemporaries give in to the allure of booze and illegal highs because they are looking for an escape from their stressful careers.
    When asked why she thinks so many actors succumb to alcohol and drugs, Marion said: ”Actors are fragile creatures. The wider the gap, the more vulnerable we are. Any form of escape can seem good. You have to navigate through the different emotions because you’re placed in tough positions as an actor. Everything we give in a performance can come back to torture.”

The 38-year-old French star has also revealed her profession has led her to become enthralled with the ideals of the ‘American Dream’ – which is the ideal that everyone deserves the opportunity to achieve prosperity and success.
    Marion lived in New York for a brief period to learn English and while she was in ‘The Big Apple’ she fell in love with the way of life in the USA and the ideas Americans hold dear.

Speaking the latest French issue of ELLE magazine, she said: ”In a certain respect, yes (I love the American dream). And I love their language. Three years before ‘La Môme’, I came to New York to take an English language course with Berlitz. I didn’t become an actress with the aim of having a career in the US, my dream didn’t have any geographical boundaries, but just after filming Tim Burton’s ‘Big Fish’, I was looking forward to speaking the language fluently because my poor English from my school days was a problem on set. This love of English comes from my childhood, I grew up on American culture. Their music, cinema and literature were part of me.”

[From Contact Music]

Cele|bitchy | Marion Cotillard: ‘Actors are fragile creatures, you’re placed in tough positions’

Elite Member

Stressful careers, really? You're not saving lives or standing in the line of fire on a daily basis.

I'm sure some actors are fragile, and some are not, but I think the rampant drug use in the business has more to do with the relative carefree and pampered lifestyle with a minimum of everyday chores and responsabilities.

I mean, if came to work high as a kite, I'd get fired. (Ok, first, I'd get laughed at, then have a stern talking to, then fired). My boss wouldn't allow me to miss work or do poor quality work, or make my co-workers put up with my erratic behaviour. I think (some) celebs do drugs, and generally act badly, simply because they can get away with it. I wonder how I would act, if noone called me out on shit, and if I didn't need to work for a living. Maybe I too would become a spoiled, entitled brat in no time.

BTW: great dress!.

Disagree. Most actors never become famous or successful and probably 1% ever manage to be 'pampered'. It's a lucky actor or actress who even manages to support themselves at their craft. Unlike most professions, acting doesn't promise you shit except the probability that at some point you'll give up and go back to school, if only so you can get a better day job than waitressing or telemarketing. Then you'll end up supporting yourself while trying to get acting jobs at night and on weekends. Or you will become a drama teacher or go in for writing or one of technical professions associated with stage or film acting.

Beyond all that, acting also promises: no job stability hardly ever, certainly not in the longterm, so you will have to cope with frequent change and upheaval, AND frequent to constant total rejection. Your talent will be rejected, your hair, face and body will be rejected and your intellect will be sneered at and your feelings trampled. You will, sooner or later--especially if you're good-looking--be treated like meat by some dickhead director or producer and expected to exchange sexual favors for jobs.

Yay.

It doesn't help that--in my experience anyway-- a lot of people who love acting and go into that profession have an above-average need for attention and praise, which I suppose logically goes with a genuine love of performing in front of tons of people (the mere thought of which has always scared me half to death.)

So yeah, I'm not surprised they drink and snort and smoke everything in sight to try and feel better. Acting's a pretty harsh mistress.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Tom Sizemore sure is a fragile creature. Look how his hand broke the nose of his gfs, he's so fucking fragile.
    rockchick and Alysheba like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Elite Member

Hmm, I don't see Marion as a person who would worry about the hardships of the struggeling actor. She seems so stuck up and full of herself. I read her statements as a defense for her own drugs use. But I'll admit I don't exactly follow her closely, so I could very well be wrong.

(Poor Sizemore, I had no idea)

Yeah, he balled up Heidi Fleiss pretty badly IIRC.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

In my limited experience with actors/live theater - there are a good amount of them that are fragile. They are also very courageous as they need to be un-afraid to really put emotions out there - you are judged on a performance every which way, and if doing something deeply dramatic, you are pulling emotion out and dealing with it, maybe day after day.

Of course there are strong people - but I think the good actors are somewhat fragile - at least when they are younger...(then the women age and get no roles, but that's another story)

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Tom Sizemore sure is a fragile creature. Look how his hand broke the nose of his gfs, he's so fucking fragile.
    He's not fragile, he's a crazy, violent junkie with a full assortment of probable personality disorders. A criminal who can act, pretty much. Wasn't he on Dr. Drew's rehab circus? Wonder if it took....

Hey. Maybe he and Michael Madsen can do a spinoff of "Two And A Half Men", about two crazy buddies of Charlie's, let's see, how 'bout a freshly divorced alcoholic and a druggie ex-businessman who just got out of prison. The show would revolve around their wacky life as roommates in a ghetto apartment on skid row in downtown LA. "Two Half-Men".
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

But doesn't she get any credit for loving America?

^ A Frenchie who loves us! Woo. Welcome back AgentO. It's been awhile.

Thread Information