Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Bob Dylan Charged by France With "Public Insult and Inciting Hate"

Default Bob Dylan Charged by France With "Public Insult and Inciting Hate"

PARIS (AP) — French authorities have filed preliminary charges against Bob Dylan over a 2012 interview in which he is quoted comparing Croatians to Nazis and the Ku Klux Klan.

The charges of "public insult and inciting hate" were filed against the musician in mid-November, Paris prosecutor's office spokeswoman Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre said Tuesday.

They stem from a lawsuit by a Croatian community group in France over remarks in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine in September 2012.

Speaking about race relations in the United States, Dylan was quoted as saying: "If you got a slave master or Klan in your blood, blacks can sense that. That stuff lingers to this day. Just like Jews can sense Nazi blood and the Serbs can sense Croatian blood."

A lawyer for the Croatian group, Ivan Jurasinovic, said it is not seeking monetary damages but wants Dylan, "a singer who is liked and respected in Croatia, to present an apology to the Croatian people."

He said the Croatian community in France was upset by the remarks, but said he did not know why Croatians in Croatia or the United States, where Rolling Stone is based, have not filed similar suits. France, home to about 30,000 Croatians, has strict laws punishing hate speech and racist remarks.

Representatives for Dylan, who performs in France regularly, could not immediately be reached for comment.

The charges were filed two days before Dylan received a French government honor at the Culture Ministry Nov. 13 but were not publicly confirmed until this week.

Bob Dylan Croatia Remarks Lead To Charges Of 'Public Insult' In France

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

France, home to about 30,000 Croatians, has strict laws punishing hate speech and racist remarks.
    wow, I didn't realize France limited freedom of speech. I would rather people be able to spew their hate and ignorance so you can at least know where they stand. I prefer to recognize the Ted Nugents of the world from the get-go.

lol wut?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

What a good use of time and money! Pfffft.

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why the hell France even has a right to sue him, when he said these comments in the AMERICAN Rolling Stone and not the French one? Seriously, why is this any of France's business at all? He did not say these comments in their country, so this shouldn't pertain to their laws. If they're so deeply offended, why not just ban him from doing concerts there, until he apologizes? Limited freedom of speech must suck by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    lol wut?
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Guess what I meant is that if people are racist and full of hate, I would rather know where they stand from the very beginning. As far as Ted Nugent, I'm glad he has the freedom to spew his ignorant views so I know just how vile a creature he is. I was specifically referring to these comments:
    Controversial rock artist Ted Nugent recently appeared on Nick Cannon's podcast, where he told the "America's Got Talent" host that profiling black people should be done in the same manner as dangerous dogs are profiled. The comments have been stirring up controversy across the web after Nick and Ted riffed online.
    "If a Dalmatian has been biting the children in the neighborhood, I think we're going to look for a black-and-white dog. I think that typically when you see the -- I don't even remember the term they use -- but the gangs of blacks lately that have been just been going down the downtown streets and breaking windows on cars."He continued, "Over and over again, I watch the news, and here's a rape and here's a burglary and here's a murder in Chicago. Twenty-nine shot, 29 blacks shot by 29 blacks. At some point, you've gotta be afraid of black-and-white dogs if the Dalmatian is doing the biting."
    Nugent has claimed in the past that he's "anti-racist," because he's worked with such artists as Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry. However, he recently commented that he'd wouldn't mind shooting up L.A.'s South Central neighborhood with a machine gun from a helicopter.
    Ted Nugent Suggests Black People Should Be Hunted Like Dogs

I thought she was lolwutting France? Because France often deserves a lolwut or two. Not counting the permanent one over the Jerry Lewis thing. Zey are a silly people. *farts in the general direction of France* *mutters something about Gerard Depardieu* *mutters something else about disgusting cheese that smells like feet*
    Lalique likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Guess what I meant is that if people are racist and full of hate, I would rather know where they stand from the very beginning. As far as Ted Nugent, I'm glad he has the freedom to spew his ignorant views so I know just how vile a creature he is. I was specifically referring to these comments:

Ted Nugent Suggests Black People Should Be Hunted Like Dogs
    Please tell me that Nick proceeded to beat the shit out of Nugent during the podcast.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Ted Nugent is an idiot and I'm glad I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarVenom View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why the hell France even has a right to sue him, when he said these comments in the AMERICAN Rolling Stone and not the French one? Seriously, why is this any of France's business at all? He did not say these comments in their country, so this shouldn't pertain to their laws. If they're so deeply offended, why not just ban him from doing concerts there, until he apologizes? Limited freedom of speech must suck by the way.
    Yeah, they don't give a crap what Roman Polanski did in the U.S., do they?

(and yeah I know Polanski's a French citizen, but I had to say it anyway...)
    Kathie_Moffett and Lalasnake like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Limited freedom of speech must suck? What, not being able to be racist/offensive in public? I don't think that's a bad thing.
    Kittylady and rollo like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Yeah, they don't give a crap what Roman Polanski did in the U.S., do they?

(and yeah I know Polanski's a French citizen, but I had to say it anyway...)
    Some people seem to be more concerned with offending someone than something violent being committed on a person.

But then again, this is France, and France has it's own head stuck so far up it's own ass that it probably still tastes what it had for breakfast 300 years ago.
    Mel1973 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Limited freedom of speech must suck? What, not being able to be racist/offensive in public? I don't think that's a bad thing.
    Well, I don't think that's what happened here. The Croats don't want to be reminded of this particular part of their history much like Southerners in the US don't want to be lumped in as "slave owners"...
    In the Rolling Stone interview, Bob Dylan was sharing his thoughts about US
    history and the country's racial divide.

He is reported to have said: "Blacks know that some whites didn't want to
    give up slavery - that if they had their way, they would still be under the
    yoke, and they can't pretend they don't know that.

"If you got a slave master or [Ku Klux] Klan in your blood, blacks can sense
    that. That stuff lingers to this day. Just like Jews can sense Nazi blood and
    the Serbs can sense Croatian blood."

During World War Two, the Croat Ustashe fascist movement killed hundreds of
    thousands of Serbs, Jews, Roma and others in their death camps.

Croats and Serbs also fought each other during the break-up of Yugoslavia, in
    a 1991-1995 war that left around 20,000 people dead.

After the interview was published, the Council of Croats in France (CRICCF)
    filed a complaint.

Being placed under judicial investigation means that authorities are taking
    the complaint seriously but that it won't necessarily go further, the BBC's Hugh
    Schofield in Paris says.

Apparently, the problem is this: Following the interview, several Croatian radio stations reportedly removed Dylan's songs from their playlists. The CRICCF brought forward their complaint in November 2012, naming Dylan as a defendant as well as Rolling Stone's French publisher. "We have nothing against Rolling Stone magazine or Bob Dylan as a singer," Maric said. "[But] you cannot equate Croatian [war] criminals with all Croats."

Sounds like they got their widdle feewins hurt and they need to STFU and try not to incite hate against Bob fucking Dylan! It's absolutely LAUGHABLE that they would do this... considering that Dylan was recently awarded France's Legion of Honour, the country's highest award.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Limited freedom of speech harms the innocent more than the racists/ignorant. Case in point: Bans on conspicuous symbols of religion in French schools, which affects Muslim, Jewish, and Sikh students. Also, this limited freedom of speech isn't actually preventing people from being racist/offensive in public. Antisemitism is a huge problem in France right now: Discrimination and Hate Crime in EU Member States: Experiences and Perceptions of Antisemitism ; Selected Acts of Antisemitism

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    wow, I didn't realize France limited freedom of speech. I would rather people be able to spew their hate and ignorance so you can at least know where they stand. I prefer to recognize the Ted Nugents of the world from the get-go.
    That's what I always say: keep the enemy out in the open where we can see them. Besides, it's not the government's job to protect anyone from being offended. Allowing people to be prosecuted for words that cause no real, demonstrable harm is treading on dangerous ground, imo.
    Flygirl likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information