Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Dracula Salary Held Due to Past Substance Abuse

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Dracula Salary Held Due to Past Substance Abuse

Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Dracula Salary Held Due to Past Substance Abuse, Actor Not Given Full Amount Until Filming Was Completed: Report

He may have the power to seduce and charm, but before Dracula got his dues, he had to complete the task at hand. At least that's what Irish actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers discovered when he took on the title role on the new NBC drama. A new report from The Hollywood Reporter claims the 36-year-old, who was NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt's first choice, was required to finish filming the show's first 10 episodes before receiving his lump salary.

Meyers, who has long struggled with substance abuse issues, including several rehab stints, was reportedly considered a possible liability to the network, based on his history of alcohol-related incidents during the production of Showtime hit The Tudors.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that NBC withheld a "substantial" part of Meyers' salary, which is estimated to be $100,000 per episode. He reportedly received "per diem payments and other small dispensations, but the lump sum of his salary was contingent on him completing the season." (NBC had no comment on the story.)

The Hollywood Reporter claims the star had a meltdown while filming Dracula and briefly returned to London for hospitalization. A sober companion accompanied the actor on set, and after he completed the 10 episodes, he quickly returned to rehab.

A source tells Us Weekly that Meyers is "healthy and in a good very place" now and completed all 10 episodes on time.

This isn't the first time the network has withheld compensation. After Alec Baldwin publicly threatened to quit 30 Rock late into its run, NBC deployed a similar tactic.

Dracula premiered on Friday, Oct. 25 at 10 p.m. to solid ratings, but has since dipped.

Read more: Jonathan Rhys Meyers' Dracula Salary Held Due to Past Substance Abuse? - Us Weekly
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Gold Member

Smart move on the part of the network. Meyers has had a problem with alcoholism for years. Everyone else has to do the work first to get paid. Why should actors be any different?

It's a smart move and apparently he got through the filming. Good luck Jonathan!

Well, it seems fair to me: the network is putting a huge amount of money on this project, they need "damage control".
    Good luck to him anyway, I hope he recovers for good.

Good on him for going right back into rehab after filming...This is probably a test and his last chance, if he screws this up no one will touch him again and he knows it.

He has really grown on me, and Dracula is one of my new favorite shows this season.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

mjw
    Elite Member

Is The Tudors any good?

Gold Member

I enjoyed The Tudors but I think I only made it up until the season where Joss Stone played his wife. I think she was wife #4. I can't really recall why I stopped watching though.

^^
    same here. and joss stone is the reason i stopped watching. can't stand the bitch.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

waited till it was over and bought the box set... actually, they released the box set BEFORE the series ended which was super awesome.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I didn't realize he was briefly hospitalized during the filming of Dracula, poor guy, he really struggles. I'm glad to see he's in a healthy and good place now.

The Tudors was good IMO once you got used to the fact that JRM looked nothing like the portly Henry VIII. I'd like to know the stories behind that series. I don't think they've ever come out. On the other hand, he was required to be in practically every scene. That would be taxing for any actor.

I liked the first season, Wolsey was great.

The Tudors is amazeballs.
    sparkles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I didn't realize he was briefly hospitalized during the filming of Dracula, poor guy, he really struggles. I'm glad to see he's in a healthy and good place now.
    Not too sure about that, he was on a UK talk show a few weeks ago and looked absolutely off his tits.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

The Tudors is available on Netflix. I wish they would have continued the series following his children, especially Elizabeth I. IMO, that would be an amazing series. So much happened during the course of her reign.
    Sunrider likes this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information