Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Night Johnny Carson Found Out His Wife Was Banging Frank Gifford

Default The Night Johnny Carson Found Out His Wife Was Banging Frank Gifford

The Night Johnny Carson Found Out His Wife Was Banging Frank Gifford

Tucked inside the Hunger Games promotional pamphlet that was last week's issue of Entertainment Weekly was a rather amazing book excerpt from Henry Bushkin, lawyer to the late Johnny Carson. In the excerpt (not yet online), Bushkin describes accompanying Carson on a late night break-in of his second wife's apartment—an apartment she had leased without Carson's knowledge. "I have reason to believe my wife is cheating on me," Carson told Bushkin. "I also have an idea who the son of a bitch is that she's shacking up with."

Turns out, that son of a bitch was none other than former MNF announcer and flight attendant enthusiast Frank Gifford. During the break-in, Carson and Bushkin found that Carson's wife, Joanne Copeland, kept "six or seven framed photographs" of Gifford in the secret apartment. According to Bushkin, Carson did not take the news well:

Carson leaned against the living room wall and began to weep. [...] I could see that Carson's raincoat had fallen open. I was shocked to see that Johnny was carrying a .38 revolver in a holster on his hip.

Later that night, a shitfaced Carson phoned Bushkin at 2 a.m. and demanded that he come meet him at a nearby bar (Ed McMahon was also there!) to lament the failure of second marriage. "I get drunk every night and I chase all the pussy I can get," Carson said, in Bushkin's recollection. "I'm shitty in the marriage department. Make sure you understand this."

But Carson being Carson, he couldn't resist a joke about the identity of his cuckold: "Why Frank Gifford? What's that asshole got that I don't have? That guy plays three positions on the field. I could never get Joanne to go for more than two."

Bushkin noted that Carson left the bar that night with another woman who "as nearly as famous" as he was. Old Hollywood was awesome.
    MohandasKGanja and Honeythorn like this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I read that - wasn't it awesome? But isn't this lawyer guy supposed to keep this stuff secret?

I don't know a lot of about Johnny Carson,....but if you listen to Howard Stern, he thinks he was the scourge of the earth. Not sure why Howard hated the guy so badly. Did Johnny not let him on his show or something???

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I don't know a lot of about Johnny Carson,....but if you listen to Howard Stern, he thinks he was the scourge of the earth. Not sure why Howard hated the guy so badly. Did Johnny not let him on his show or something???
    I think it is manufactured outrage on Howard's part. Howard was never going to be invited on Johnny's show - I'm not sure that Carson ever had a DJ type on there anyway. But for some reason Howard has this HUGE bug up his butt about how Johnny would basically "ordain" certain comedians by having them sit on his couch and talk for a few minutes if the comedian had a really good set. I mean, what the hell is wrong with that???

I have yet to see ONE standup comedian agree with Howard as to whether this was some kind of ego trip on Carson's part.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I would have loved to have spent a night drinking with Johnny and Ed back in the day. When I met Ed he was married to Victoria and was one of the most arrogant, fucking assholes I have ever met. He did not take for an answer, and I'm not talking about sex. But, I'll bet he was lots of fun when drinking with Johnny.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I loved Johnny as a talk-show host, but offscreen he was known to be a cold SOB. Not justifying his wife's cheating, but that marital bed had to be like an iceberg. Hell, that whole house.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

Howard Stern not liking Johnny is really for the simple reason of Johnny being an asshole. He fucked over Joan Rivers too, who Howard loves.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I loved Johnny as a talk-show host, but offscreen he was known to be a cold SOB.
    I liked Johnny, too, but he also had an issue with alcohol that he freely acknowledged and I heard him admit in an interview that it made him mean as hell. Plus, he was also a notorious philanderer, so I can't feel too badly on him if he got it dished back.

That said, Frank Gifford? Really? A man who felt Kathie Lee was marriage material cannot have too much going on, imo.
    BITTER and hustle4alivin like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^^Frank was actually kind of cute in his younger days. But yeah, his taste in women....urp.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

We had Johnny's tonight show box DVD set and they were funny. I can't blame her for cheating on his slutty ass though. A tit for a dick and all that.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I read that - wasn't it awesome? But isn't this lawyer guy supposed to keep this stuff secret?
    That's why he was "Bombastic Bushkin"! The writer should have mentioned that nickname. They had a falling out.

" If everyone in Hollywood has a brother, Johnny Carson has Henry Bushkin. The lawyer (renowned to regular Carson watchers as "Bombastic Bushkin") is, by all accounts, the best friend. The men, with or without wives, go together to Wimbledon, to France, to breakfast at Malibu. Bushkin is also the lawyer who's best understood Carson professionally, and done the best by him.

The Off-camera Carson - Page 3 - Los Angeles Times

MohandasKGanja likes this.

Stern is a worthless asshole. IDGAF what he thinks about anything or anyone.
    Honeythorn and Sylkyn like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Greys, I really hate it when you hold back. There is no need for such restraint. Please feel free to open up and share your opinions.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'll try to stop being so shy.
    sluce and hustle4alivin like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It'll never happen you little wallflower you.
    sluce likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information