Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Famke Janssen finds book next to bed

Default Famke Janssen finds book next to bed

Cops Investigating CREEPY Incident at NYC Pad

EXCLUSIVE

Famke Janssen -- who famously played Jean Grey in the "X-Men" movies -- claims she's been targeted in a crime so creepy, it will make your skin crawl ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... Janssen filed a police report recently saying she returned home to her NYC home this weekend and noticed a children's book in her bedroom ... "The Lonely Doll."

Problem is ... Janssen doesn't own that book and INSTANTLY became weirded out.

To make matters worse, "The Lonely Doll" is about a couple of toys who promise to NEVER, EVER LEAVE each other. It also has a super creepy book cover.

Janssen called police ... believing someone must've broken into her home and placed the book there. Creeeeeeeppppyyyyy.

We're told cops are investigating the incident as a burglary ... and are currently checking out surveillance footage to see if they can identify the creeper.

Sources say there are no signs of forced entry and Famke told police no one has had access to the home.

We reached out to Janssen for comment. So far no word back.

Read more: Famke Janssen -- Cops Investigating CREEPY Incident at NYC Pad | TMZ.com
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

That's really scary. I wouldn't be able to stay in my apartment.

Someone gave my daughter that book when she was born. It's creepy in and of itself.

I don't know why people are so creeped out by cute little dolls.

These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Very unsettling.

That is creepy. Loved her in Hemlock Grove.

Holy shit. That's a nightmare. Creepy.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Silver Member

Yuck and that really is a creepy and unsettling book. Maybe the market for that book is creepy stalkers.

How freaky. I'd call the cops too.

Speaking of creepy incidents, in college I worked at the front desk for our dorms. Some guy who lived there came in and handed over an envelope he'd received in his open mailbox, full of cash (maybe $100 or more) with a note that said something like "Every head on your head is numbered" and some reference to birds, sparrows maybe...I forget the exact message, just that it sounded like a bible verse or something like that. Very creepy, no one knew what to make of it. But fortunately the guy was ok, nothing happened to him.

Why the hell don't people leave me anonymous envelopes of cash?
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

JWL

I couldn't go back to that apartment either. This sounds like the start of a very scary movie - creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Why the hell don't people leave me anonymous envelopes of cash?
    Hang around creepy religious zealots or college dorms more?

Does she have a cleaner? Does the cleaner have a kid? That's how we solved the great mystery of how a toy truck appeared at my boyfriend's place.
    MrsBTour and Rusalka like this.
    Under the most beautiful peacock's tail always hides the usual chicken butt.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Does she have a cleaner? Does the cleaner have a kid? That's how we solved the great mystery of how a toy truck appeared at my boyfriend's place.
    I would sure hope something like that is the answer. Because I would be creeped the eff out if a weird little doll book just appeared out of nowhere when I was sleeping. Way too Chucky-esque. Chills, chills, chills.
    nancydrew likes this.

That book! Holy shit! Who here has read it? What a disturbed thing to leave a woman who lives alone.

It's not just creepy. It's profoundly depressing. I'll never forget reading it as a kid. Dare Wright was a strange and troubled artist. I'll put a link/copy-paste at the bottom of this post, an excellent article about the book and Wright herself. It's definitely more outsider art for adults than a simple kid's book, though Wright didn't mean it as such, obviously. (Her own photography is brilliant, imo. I put a couple after the article.)

Thirty or forty years ago a cleaner's kid reading that book wouldn't be odd. Nowadays? Unusual parenting, lol. I'd dismiss that possibility pretty quickly.

Taken symbolically, leaving someone that book can't mean anything good. Famke's probably got herself a dangerous stalker. At least the book might be taken as an indicator of the perp's approximate age range...

I hope this turns out to be a prank.

The Unsettling Stories of Two Lonely Dolls - NYTimes.com

The Unsettling Stories of Two Lonely Dolls

By DAVID COLMAN

Published: October 17, 2004

YOU might think that Kim Gordon, the bass player and singer of the eternally hip downtown band Sonic Youth, would not have much in common with mothers of a more conventional stripe. But a few years ago she had an experience many women her age could relate to. She rediscovered a favorite series of childhood books, ''The Lonely Doll,'' and thought about reading them to her 7-year-old daughter, Coco. Then she thought better of it.

''I grew up with the book,'' said Ms. Gordon, whose husband and fellow band member, Thurston Moore, found one of the books, and, curious about it, took it home. But on rereading it, Ms. Gordon said, ''I was struck by how creepy it is.''

''I wanted to share it with her, but I found it too depressing,'' she said. ''Yet there's something about the images that haunted me, something so compelling.''

Many women -- artistic women in particular -- have discovered that they share this intense ambivalence, part warm and fuzzy nostalgia, part chilling discomfort, about ''The Lonely Doll,'' first published in 1957. Now back in print, the book and two of its sequels are enjoying a bittersweet renaissance, fueled by a new biography of their author, Dare Wright. The new book, ''The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll: The Search for Dare Wright'' (Henry Holt) by Jean Nathan, details Ms. Wright's unwholesomely close relationships with her mother and brother, and also shows that she bore a resemblance to the heroine of her books.

Ms. Wright styled the doll, named Edith, after herself, down to its blond ponytail and gold hoop earrings. She not only wrote the books but also took their black-and-white photographs, suffused with melancholy.
    The first, and best-known, title introduces Edith, who lives desperately alone in a grand New York mansion, and who one day finds that two teddy bears, apparently father and son, have come to live with her. The book's climax -- and one reason modern mothers may be of two minds about reading it to their daughters -- occurs when Mr. Bear returns to find Edith and Little Bear playing dress-up, complete with lipstick, jewelry, high heels and a cheeky message about Mr. Bear in lipstick on a mirror. A spanking follows, and Edith cries, terrified that the bears will go away and leave her alone again. (After an apology, Mr. Bear says he will stay forever, but Edith's anxiety resurfaces in later books.)

''That's the kind of upbringing I didn't have,'' Ms. Gordon said. ''I wasn't spanked as a child. It seemed a little sadistic when I reread it.'' But, she added: ''I did identify with her. I was a kind of sensitive child.''
    Whether for the first or second time around, people react strongly to ''The Lonely Doll.'' ''I remember finally finding a copy,'' said Anna Sui, the fashion designer, who hunted for one for years. ''I called Steven,'' she said, referring to her friend the photographer Steven Meisel, ''and I said, 'I found it, I found '' 'The Lonely Doll.'' ' ''

The artist Cindy Sherman said she has contemplated being the curator of an art show about the reissued book. If she does, she can call on David LaChapelle, the fashion photographer known for his modern surrealism, who wanted to call his first book ''The Lonely Doll.''

Killer Films, which produces Todd Haynes's movies, has optioned the rights to Ms. Nathan's book. ''It's so harrowing,'' said Elizabeth Karlsen, who hopes to produce the movie with Killer Films. Of ''The Lonely Doll,'' she said: ''Sexually and psychologically, this book is so strange. You wonder if it's inappropriate by today's standards for children's literature.''

Ms. Nathan, who was, like the book, born in 1957, said that ''people have really come out of the woodwork'' over ''The Lonely Doll.'' She was moved to write her biography of Dare Wright when, trying to find a copy of ''The Lonely Doll'' a few years ago, she couldn't -- but found the author in the phone book and started delving into her sad and, yes, lonely, life. Today, at readings of her book, Ms. Nathan said she regularly spots women with tattered childhood copies of ''The Lonely Doll.''

The book, out of print for years, was reissued by Houghton Mifflin in 1998. It is in its 10th hardcover printing since then. Ms. Wright, who died in 2001 after a prolonged slide into alcoholism and six years on life support in a New York hospital, wrote 10 books starring Edith and the bears, but only three, ''The Lonely Doll,'' ''Edith and Mr. Bear'' and ''A Gift From the Lonely Doll,'' have been reprinted.

''There was a piece of history missing when they went out of print,'' said Anita Silvey, the former children's publisher of Houghton Mifflin, who waged a minor battle against skeptical colleagues to bring back the books, which she loved as a child. ''I always ask people what books they remember, and 'The Lonely Doll' came up again and again,'' she said. ''It's just one of those books that, with the right child reading it at the right time, had a profound impact.''

That impact was a result of several things, Ms. Silvey said, most important being the powerful emotions it evokes. ''There's this hauntingly lonely doll-child, in that house in the rain,'' she said, ''that sense of isolation, that longing for companions, so when she gets upset and says, 'Say you'll stay with me forever,' it's very real. I think children respond to that emotional truth.''

''The power of the book was greater than some of its flaws,'' she said. Yet she did not put it in her recent book, ''100 Best Books for Children.'' ''As the publisher,'' she said, ''I would get letters every day, saying: 'This book is disgusting and terrible. Why did you bring it back?' ''

A publicist for Houghton Mifflin, Hannah Rogers, agreed that the revival was a struggle. ''People here thought they were a little disturbing,'' she said. ''The sales reps were a little freaked out.'' However, she said, those opinions have changed with the reissue's success.

Or most of them have. Terri Schmitz, who owns the Children's Book Shop in Brookline, Mass., stocks the three books but does not recommend them. ''I hated them then,'' she said. ''I hate them now. It had something to do with the still, posed photography that I found very disturbing.''

''I don't like teddy bears,'' she added, ''and the whole weird domination thing with them -- who is this Mr. Bear?'' In the books, she continued, the doll ''can never measure up -- it reminds me of women never being able to please.''

A common occurrence in her store, she said, is that a mother will show ''instant recognition'' upon spotting the book and want to buy it for her daughter. ''Then they'll start to read it, and you can just see their faces when they come to the spanking. Then it's like, 'Maybe I won't buy it for my daughter.' '' But, she said, those women may buy it for themselves. ''It's one of the books that has a strong, strong pull,'' she said.

Its power is also due to its novel format, narration of a story through photography. The artist Laurie Simmons, who has explored the strangeness of dolls through photographs, said the images lend a heightened sense of realism to the story that is intoxicating to a child's eyes. Moreover, she said, the doll's expression never changes, and that makes it a potent blank screen upon which a child can project feelings.
    In illustrated children's books, the characters' expressions are usually cartoonishly overstated, leaving little room for children to imagine how a character might feel.

Daphne Merkin, the novelist and critic, who grew up in the silk-stocking district of the Upper East Side in New York, described herself as an ''enormous fan'' of the ''Lonely Doll'' books, then added, ''Fan seems like a weird word to use.''

Indeed, not only did Ms. Merkin read the book to her own daughter -- ''as a testament to her mental health, she did not respond to it,'' she said -- but she also showed it to her psychiatrist. ''This book speaks to creative and imaginative kids, like me, that peopled their minds with alternate realities,'' she said.

Ms. Merkin, who once wrote an essay in The New Yorker about spanking as a sexual fetish, said contemporary concern over the spanking scenes -- which appear in 3 of the 10 books -- does not seem as troubling as the air of anxiety that permeates the stories. ''I find the emphasis incredibly misplaced,'' she said.

''The sexual connotation we're up in arms about now doesn't really address the other issues, about this whole generation of psychological latch-key children,'' she said, referring to the doll's parentless, or ownerless, state.

She also found unsettling the powerlessness of the doll, who seems trapped in her lonely world, and then has little say over her life once the bears move in. ''There's this emphasis on passivity,'' she said.

Dr. Peter Wolson, a psychoanalyst in Beverly Hills and a former president of the Los Angeles Institute and Society for Psychoanalytic Studies, said that one aspect he found troubling was that in the first book the doll is punished for expressing herself sexually by doing things like applying lipstick. While children's books today often place importance on empowerment through actions, he said, ''being too expressive is often seen as something flagrantly sexual in terms of children.'' The anxiety over what messages the book sends, he said, ''might suggest an inhibition that's still about sexuality.''

Psychosexual theorizing is only compounded by the facts of Dare Wright's life. She was born in 1914 and raised in Cleveland by her mother, a portrait painter. When she was 3, her father left, taking her older brother, Blaine, with him. After school, Dare moved to New York to be reunited with her beloved brother and became a model. She had a lithe figure and a long blond ponytail. For decades, she maintained intensely close, but separate, relationships with her mother and brother, who were never reconciled.
    Ms. Wright remained single and a virgin throughout her life, according to the biography. She made her own clothes (as well as her doll's), and besides taking pictures of the doll, she posed for naked photographs herself, urged on by her mother (also named Edith).

When Edith Wright visited her adult daughter in New York and on their frequent vacations together, the mother would sleep in Dare's bed, and never let her out of her sight, the book says. Dare retained a subservient, childlike manner around her mother. It was only in her books that she was able to achieve autonomy, Ms. Nathan writes. To deter male suitors, she concocted a ''great love,'' a pilot who had been killed in the Korean War.

Her mother died in 1975 and her brother in 1985. After that, the book says, Dare Wright withdrew into seclusion and alcoholism in her apartment just off Fifth Avenue.

Reading her books, knowing how tortured she was at losing her brother and father as a child, adds layers to the story and lends it the poignancy of outsider art. ''You don't need a degree in psychology to figure it out,'' Ms. Schmitz said.

While some readers are grateful that Ms. Wright's story is out in the open, providing insight into the books, others prefer that ''The Lonely Doll'' not be picked apart.

''I wish I didn't know the story now,'' Ms Sui said. ''Like a lot of fairy tales, it's kind of twisted, but when you look at it through the innocence of a child's eyes, it's just a beautiful fairy tale.''

Eden Edwards, a senior editor at Houghton Mifflin, who oversees ''The Lonely Doll'' series, agreed, up to a point. ''A lot of children's books are written by former outsiders,'' she said. ''Those are the ones who are reflective enough to really observe the world in a different way, and children identify with that.''
    ''A lot of authors seem deceptively wholesome,'' she added, but the truth is different. ''Most creators writing for children have deep emotional lives that people don't suspect.''

I'mNotBitter and Trixie like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information