Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Original 'Willy Wonka' Gene Wilder Did Not Like Remake: 'It's an insult!'

Default Original 'Willy Wonka' Gene Wilder Did Not Like Remake: 'It's an insult!'

'It's an insult!' Gene Wilder slams Johnny Depp remake of his classic film Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
    Screen legend Gene Wilder has slammed the 2005 remake of his 1970s classic Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.

The 80-year-old claimed that Tim Burton’s film starring Johnny Depp was an ‘insult’ and that he didn’t ‘care for’ Burton as a director.

The sharply worded criticism came during an intimate chat with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne at the 92Y in New York City, on Thursday.

The two Wonkas: Johhny Depp (L) in the 2005 remake Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Gene Wilder (R) in the 1971 original Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

Gene, according toMoviefone, said, ‘I think it's an insult,’ of Burton’s Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.

Adding that the remake was ‘probably Warner Bros.' insult,’ to his iconic 1971 adaptation of Roald Dahl’s famous children’s novel.

But the actor and celebrated author focused his criticism, explaining: ‘Johnny Depp, I think, is a good actor, but I don't care for that director.
    ‘He's [Burton] a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did.’

Still going strong: The 80-year-old looked sharp for his interview in New York, on Thursday

When Osborne asked him what his thoughts were in general on working in Hollywood, Wilder said: ‘Yuck! I don't like it.’

The celebrated funny man went on to reveal: ‘[People] say, “What a comic, what a funny guy,” and I'm not - I am really not - except in a comedy film.’

But comedy does play a role in his life, as he admitted: ‘I also make my wife laugh once or twice in the house, but nothing special.’

The statement is a bit incongruous with his career, which features almost exclusively classic comedy films like Blazing Saddles, The Producers, and Young Frankenstein.

Intimate chat: Wilder talked candidly with his interviewer Robert Osborne at the 92Y

But Gene was, by his own admission, initially trained in drama at the Old Vic, in England, and was a well-regarded stage actor before winning a career on the silver screen.

Meanwhile, over the last two decades Wilder has turned to writing books and has just penned his second novel, Something To Remember You By.

Of his experience, he said: ‘I like writing books. I'd rather be at home with my wife.

'I can write, take a break, come out, have a glass of tea, give my wife a kiss, and go back in and write some more. It's not so bad. I am really lucky.’

The men in question: Johnny Depp with director and long time collaborator Tim Burton, pictured in London, in May 2012

Read more: Gene Wilder slams Tim Burton¿s 2005 remake of his classic film Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory | Mail Online
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

I adore Gene Wilder. His Willy Wonka was great. The new one was terrible.

Whatever, Gene. The seventies version was an insult to the book. The next one will be an insult to everything that came before it and so on.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

I like him too -- and liked both. Didn't want to see the remake and have the memory of the original sullied, but finally caved, and it came across so differently, my love of the original is intact. I've seen "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" maybe twice -- but still watch Gene Wilder's version at least once or twice a year.

Whatever, Gene. The seventies version was an insult to the book. The next one will be an insult to everything that came before it and so on.

That's what I've heard -- the remake followed the story more closely.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

Fuck it , I love them both for different reasons.
    "Boredom's not a burden
    Anyone should bear."
    -Tool "Stinkfist"

I do, too; for me, they come across as entirely different movies.

Johnny Depp was godawful in that movie. I had been a fan up until that point and was really looking forward to seeing him as Willy Wonka, but he pretty much ruined the movie and that's when I started to get sick of him.
    greysfang and spinmonkey like this.

I thought Johnny Depp was just playing Michael Jackson in that film. A creepy paedo. I didn't like it either.
    spinmonkey, A*O, Rusalka and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Johnny Depp was godawful in that movie. I had been a fan up until that point and was really looking forward to seeing him as Willy Wonka, but he pretty much ruined the movie and that's when I started to get sick of him.
    Hm, not sure I realized until now, but that's when his charm began to tarnish for me too. Bad decision, bad performance, yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I thought Johnny Depp was just playing Michael Jackson in that film. A creepy paedo. I didn't like it either.
    Yes! I went to see it with a couple of friends and we all independently came to that conclusion. Why, Johnny? Now he creeps me out. It's depressing. How fucked up was he when he decided playing Pedo Jackson as Willy Wonka was a clever conceit? Ugh. If I were a conspiracy theorist--you know, huge invisible Hollywood pedo ring type stuff--I would be even more squicked out by that film. I love Tim Burton too, but wtf.

I don't think the first film's an insult to the book. I agree that we've yet to see an ideal adaptation, but at least it had a subversive intellectual edge--a pretty sharp one for some people, who were so freaked out by it they won't watch it again. I like that! Gene was nothing like the book Wonka, but fuck, it's Gene Wilder. (In purple velvet!) ANY performance by him is utterly memorable and unique and worth watching a thousand times.
    Rusalka and spinmonkey like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    I don't think the first film's an insult to the book.
    Yet Roald Dahl hated it. I see that much in the same vein as Wilder hating the latest iteration. When someone has a specific vision in mind of how the story ought to be and the movie deviates from that, they're bound to feel disappointment.

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

Gene Wilder seems to aged into a bitter old man.
    OrangeSlice likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I hate Johnny Depp and Tim Burton and adore Gene but geez, this is real get off my lawn type stuff. Its not even your material.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yet Roald Dahl hated it. I see that much in the same vein as Wilder hating the latest iteration. When someone has a specific vision in mind of how the story ought to be and the movie deviates from that, they're bound to feel disappointment.

I get what you're saying and I agree; both Wilder and Dahl fit what you described, albeit for different reasons. But here we get into the whole issue of film adaptations from books; people (including the author) are hardly ever satisfied. It's hard to accept that movies are a very different medium and that what works on the page often has to change for the film in order to be effective.

Case in point, Stephen King vs. "The Shining". When I first saw it, I had the same reaction I did to the first Wonka film: I disliked certain changes, as I really felt the book's versions were better. But VISUALLY, what Kubrick did was a win, and ultimately, film's a visual medium. As for King: he hated it. He made his own adaptation, and once again demonstrated that slavishly trasferring a book to film can be...a mixed blessing.

That's why I don't care if Roald Dahl hated the film. He probably would've hated the second one too. (That would've been fun...sigh.)

Despite my initial reservations, the first film has aged well--as a film, on its own merits. At least the Oompa Loompas weren't African pygmies, though to be fair, Dahl did change that long before the film. I have an older edition. The original illustrations are a trip.

I'd still love to see a REALLY Dahl-esque version, but I believe it'd have to be an indie, due to the uncommercial combo of Dahl's snarky, sadistic writing and children. Sensitive Mommies would pen many a shocked blog entry. I particularly want to see the "Great Glass Elevator" filmed, though. In fact:

Vermicious Knids FTW! They're like Doctor Who monsters, only worse, and better.

ManxMouse likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I hated Depp in that movie he came across as a creepy pedo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information